We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Floriferous Snowdrops - 3 or more flowers per bulb.  (Read 6194 times)

Mariette

Re: Floriferous Snowdrops - 3 or more flowers per bulb.
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 06:40:27 PM »
  I know nothing whatsoever about 'Wolfgang's Gold' so I won't add it to my list until someone can vouch for its regularity in producing three scapes.

My experience with that variety is very limited, but the bigger the bulbs grow, the more stalks they seem to produce. Perhaps there is someone growing ´Wolfgang´s Gold´ for some more years and able to tell whether big bulbs regularly show three stalks or even more.

MargaretB

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 08:40:12 PM »
not sure where to post this but - I am looking for between 1,000 and 3,000 normal snowdrop bulbs to plant in a new area we are creating.  Can anyone suggest the best place to obtain them from in the green?

I've ordered quite large quantities from Eurobulbs in Wisbech in the past and have always been pleased with what was sent and value for money. 

Dean C

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 10:26:40 PM »
Alan

Miss Willmott has produced 5 flowers - Dean has one this year
Yes, my 'Miss Willmott' purchased at Myddelton 2015 has produced 5 scapes from the mother bulb with another 1 each side from what I hope will be daughter bulbs. Truly concentrated flower power lasting over a good period of time. :)

Josh Nelson

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 12:32:03 AM »
Picked up Greenpeace from Glen Chantry yesterday with three scapes on the main bulb (and two each on the two daughters - not bad for a tenner!); will post photo later

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 08:05:08 AM »
I've been surprised by the lack of candidates in this category.  I don't know if it doesn't happen much or people just don't bother to count.

E.A. Bowles had a reginae-olgae snowdrop called 'Rachelae' that would have qualified but that one has been lost to cultivation - unless it is lurking somewhere.
Almost in Scotland.

Cfred72

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 03:18:20 PM »
J'ai acheté 1 bulbe de Galanthus 'Big Boy' en octobre 2015 et planté aussi tôt.
Je ne sais pas s'il va faire 3 fleurs mais en tous cas il en fera 2 et je compte 5 pousses hors du bulbe. Cela veut dire 5 bulbes l'an prochain ?
516962-0    516964-1

I bought one bulb of Galanthus 'Big Boy' in October 2015 and planted it early.
I do not know if he will make 3 flowers but in any case he will make two and I have 5 shoots out of the bulb. This means 5 bulbs next year?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:15:45 PM by Maggi Young »
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 08:15:20 PM »
I have been reading about a snowdrop called 'Green Epaulet' which has outers with a green mark at the base but otherwise white.  This one supposedly produces three scapes quite regularly. 
Almost in Scotland.

Josh Nelson

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 12:04:00 AM »
I have been reading about a snowdrop called 'Green Epaulet' which has outers with a green mark at the base but otherwise white.  This one supposedly produces three scapes quite regularly.
yes - I saw the picture too Alan - did show three scapes (or at least flower bud on the third) arising from a Green Epaulet bulb; sounded like this is regular and therefore a good candidate for your list

Mariette

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 10:34:35 PM »
´Green Epaulet´was one of the most tempting snowdrops shown by Valentin Wijnen on his talk last year in Kalmthout. Where did You get the information about the three scapes, Alan?

Josh Nelson

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 12:07:58 AM »
´Green Epaulet´was one of the most tempting snowdrops shown by Valentin Wijnen on his talk last year in Kalmthout. Where did You get the information about the three scapes, Alan?
Agree about Green Epaulette Mariette - saw it featured in a talk he did at Harveys Garden Plants here in the UK recently.  The reference to three scapes was on this Facebook post (on the Snowdrops and Galanthophiles group), though I think Valentin mentioned it as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/160399837333841/permalink/1119430521430763/

Mariette

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016, 12:28:47 PM »
Thank You so much for Your swift answer, Josh! Unfortunately I´m not on Facebook - no wonder I didn´t notice.
Anyway, it´s always nice to learn there´s someone sharing the same taste!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal