We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: There's a new seller on ebay  (Read 28013 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: There's new seller on ebay
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 08:53:22 AM »
But is it definitely ` Three Ships`?

The thing to be very very wary about is buying a plant that is out of flower and which will not flower for a long time.  Fraudsters exploit the fact that eBay only offers redress for mis-sold items if they are identified as such within a limited time period.  I think it is worth stating this again for the benefit of newcomers.

'Three Ships' is an example of G. plicatus that might well have finished flowering by now; mine started flowering early in December.  But it would be hard to find another such, even unnamed, so the balance of probability would be in favour of its being genuine. And wheelieneily is held to be a respectable seller. 
Almost in Scotland.

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 09:46:19 AM »
Exactly Alan, I only buy plants off eBay from people I bought off before and trust, I also bought the same variety from Veronica Munson who also sells on eBay and I couldn't be happier with the plant I recieved. I'll take a photo later so you can see them.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 09:59:29 AM »
I've never bought anything from ebay and I never will but isn't it a major problem (from a buyers perspective) that sellers cloak themselves in anonymity. One has to wonder if it is to make it easier to refute responsibility? 
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 10:26:28 AM »
Well, speaking as a private individual who very occasionally sells a snowdrop or two on eBay, I don't want people turning-up on my doorstep unless they are invited, so I would like to keep my address private.  I don't mind revealing my address to the buyer if I make a sale but I don't want it known to all and sundry.

Now speaking as an occasional buyer on eBay, I agree that the lack of transparency, particularly about whether one is buying from an private individual or a business, is problematic and sometimes puts me off making a purchase.
Almost in Scotland.

johnstephen29

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 10:40:30 AM »
At the end of the day it all comes down to trust doesn't it, you have to hope the the seller is honest and not going to rob you blind. My own experience with eBay has been good, I have only had one problem and I got a refund the next day.

Graeme

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
I buy virtually everything off e-bay - its about half an hour to our nearest hardware shop - so I am building some cupboards at the moment and have ordered all the hinges and fittings - saves me time.
Only ever had one issue with one seller from America - paypal refunded the monies
Did buy quite a few plants a couple a years ago off someone who obvoiusly was an alpine gardener - the plants were superb
You just have to be careful with ebay

I have bought items from all over the world without much of a problem - you just have to wait sometimes for delivery - I collect Satsuki Azalea year books from Japan - but I only buy them when the $ is poor against the pound.

Most recent aquisition from china is good fun - if you like making your own herbal tea's - saves making a pot
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mr-Tea-Infuser-Loose-Tea-Leaf-Strainer-Filter-Diffuser-Herbal-Spice-Colander-HOT-/221866470061?hash=item33a845aaad:g:01AAAOSwjVVV39MZ
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

SusanH

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2016, 11:13:31 AM »
I have recently purchased Cedrics Prolific from gata444 - contained 3 lovely bulbs in very healthy condition and arrived well packaged.  He/she has 100% feedback and has been trading for years - so I have no qui so about buying from them. I have also purchased from joss supplies from Northern Scotland, dorasnowdrops and wheelynelly - all good suppliers.  I am a bit sceptic about a Galanthus Trumpdy Dumpty which is on at the moment!!!!!
SusanH

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2016, 12:24:01 PM »
Susan

I think gata444's postage charges are excessive
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2016, 01:55:37 PM »
I am a bit sceptic about a Galanthus Trumpdy Dumpty which is on at the moment!!!!!

I think the seller has almost certainly invented the name 'Trumpdy Dumpty" themselves but they are at liberty to do that.  And they could well be correct that it is a seedling from Trym and another unidentified snowdrop.  The photo on eBay is so over-exposed it strikes me as genuine.  So the two questions that remain are:
  • Is it really different from other existing snowdrops?
  • Does it have any merit?
Almost in Scotland.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2016, 03:21:11 PM »
My AT tells me that this seller has changed their name on Ebay, not necessarily dodgy but:

User ID              Effective Date      End Date
queen-beez      19-Nov-12      Present
greentipsnowdrop   14-Apr-10      19-Nov-12

I can vouch for queen beez as they are my cousin :)
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2016, 03:30:35 PM »
I assume that HMRC won't treat income accrued from ebay sales as unearned income?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2016, 03:53:22 PM »
So that's why they hide behind a pseudonym? I have a LOT of experience of fraud and fraudsters (in a professional capacity, I should add), and lack of transparency is a key indicator. But maybe it's the taxman they are defrauding rather than the buyer? Genuine rare 'drops but undeclared income? Either way, whether it is conmen selling common G. nivalis as rare varieties or people selling genuine rare 'drops but avoiding tax, I do not approve.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2016, 04:58:50 PM »
I suspect - and hope - that HMRC are pretty good at  sniffing out the  tax fraudsters.  That's not my  worry - my worry is for those  stealing others' photos to sell plants they don't have and flogging plants that are not true to name.

If we can gather a list here of people who have been found to be  genuine  ( and  this means delivering a bulb which is true to name - not just a healthy 'drop which is not as named -  as has sometimes been the case in the past!)

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graeme

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2016, 05:14:45 PM »
I assume that HMRC won't treat income accrued from ebay sales as unearned income?
I have a friend who does a lot of trading on e-bay and it seems that that the tax man starts to get interested once you have sold about £4.5K
This is why a lot of people will use multiple id's
From the e-mails I saw that he received ebay and HMRC seem to exchange information
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

johnstephen29

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2016, 06:01:51 PM »
Hi Alan this is the two galanthus three ships plant photo as promised. I hope you can still tell what they are, the flowers have nearly gone over since I last looked at them.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:03:24 PM by johnstephen29 »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal