We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 20636 times)

Chris Johnson

Re: July 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2015, 06:15:06 PM »
I'm not sure how cold you get but maybe best against a south facing wall. As they grow quite tall the wind may be more of an issue up there?
Main thing for me is that they see as much sun in the winter as early as they can when it does come out.

We rarely get much frost up here and certainly no low temperatures in most years. Wind is the main issue but these Aloes look as if they have the stature of Kniphofias which do well in our conditions. The issue with maximizing sun (when it bothers to show) is the south aspect, which gets the brunt of the prevailing winds.
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

meanie

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2015, 08:13:50 PM »
We rarely get much frost up here and certainly no low temperatures in most years. Wind is the main issue but these Aloes look as if they have the stature of Kniphofias which do well in our conditions. The issue with maximizing sun (when it bothers to show) is the south aspect, which gets the brunt of the prevailing winds.
Here's a photo of the whole plant................
West Oxon where it gets cold!

meanie

« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2015, 08:18:18 PM »
Salvia dolichantha grown from the same batch of seed as my other one but this is more blue.............

Impatiens balsamina..............

Digitalis ferruguinea..............

Lobelia tupa is looking so good now...............

Roma

« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2015, 10:23:06 PM »
Maggi, would it be possible to split Anne's Dolomite pictures into their own thread so they are not mixed up with other pictures in the July  Northern Hemisphere thread?
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2015, 10:32:50 PM »
Maggi, would it be possible to split Anne's Dolomite pictures into their own thread so they are not mixed up with other pictures in the July  Northern Hemisphere thread?

Excellent idea, Roma - I have done that -   so that new thread of Anne's ("astragalus")  photos from her beloved Dolomites  this summer are here  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=13394.0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Chris Johnson

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2015, 07:58:10 AM »
Here's a photo of the whole plant................

Gosh, that's tall, much taller than other images I've seen. Is it drawn to the light or cramped for space?

meanie

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2015, 07:46:34 PM »
Gosh, that's tall, much taller than other images I've seen. Is it drawn to the light or cramped for space?
Not the tallest that I've seen. Maybe it looks tall because it hasn't formed a large clump yet? If you want I can send you an offshoot from the bottom.

Todays offering is my Hoya which is happy to spend its summer under the ornamental cherry..............

Chris Johnson

« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2015, 07:52:54 AM »
Not the tallest that I've seen. Maybe it looks tall because it hasn't formed a large clump yet? If you want I can send you an offshoot from the bottom.

How kind and - yes please. I'll send you a PM.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »

Isn't this species called climbing aloe? Should expect it to get tall then!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2015, 10:46:53 AM »

I've only seen it referred to as Hardy Aloe, Trond. Google images show it as broad-based which would tend to make it look less tall.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2015, 11:00:48 AM »
Chris,

maybe it is the group it belongs to that is called climbing aloes.

If it is considered hardy I must  try it at home if I can get seed!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

meanie

« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »
That is A.siliaris (spelling?) I think.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2015, 02:34:11 PM »
Some very bizarre leaves on Magnolia grandiflora 'Trautmann's Hardy' this year.  In the last photo a tiny stem emantes from the centre of the small leaf just where you see a kink.

john - +15c & showers
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2015, 02:37:09 PM »
We lost Aloe striatula in a particularly cold winter but I've seen it growing outside in the 'desert' garden at East Ruston on the Norfolk coast. Must try it again. Aloe aristata has been totally hardy with us in deep sand - with no protection - to well below -10°C, and associates well with dryland alpines.

A diminutive Acanthus from Turkey and into Iran and Iraq - A. dioscoridis - about a foot high and spreading slowly at the root. This form has smooth, uncut, leaves but var. perringii is more typical of the genus with spiny greyish leaves. We grow it with sedums and eryngiums in a bed full of small bulbs through late autumn to spring.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2015, 02:47:24 PM »
Visited a friend's garden in Mahone Bay, NS on Thursday. He's particularly keen on dwarf conifers and trees.  Here's Taxodium distichum 'Peve's Minaret', a very dwarf fastigiate form of the towering Bald Cypress.    The other photos are developing pneumatophores or knees on his large Taxodium distichum; we know of no other instances of knees developing in Nova Scotia so there was a lot of excitement. This tree is on the edge of a lae but the water rises in the autumn and submerges the root sytems till early summmer, seems to be a sure-fire recipe.

john
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:57:39 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal