We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Home Page Search problem  (Read 397 times)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
Home Page Search problem
« on: March 23, 2015, 09:40:34 PM »
I wanted to show a friend all the crocus information so looked on the home page.
There was a lot more there than usual but I couldn't see anything about crocus,
though I checked various places, like Resources.  So I used  Search.  I knew
The Crocus Pages ought to be there, so that is what I searched for, but Search
couldn't find them.  I tried with quote marks so the words would be searched for
as a group instead of separately,  but they weren't found.  Search instead was
interested in showing me articles with "The".

Then the name appeared briefly as I moved the cursor across the screen, so I did
random cursor movements for a while until  finally I found where they were hiding -
 SRGC Archive Site.

Why couldn't Search find them?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Home Page Search problem
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 10:10:37 AM »
Hello Diane , I do not know why the "search" did not find the result you were looking for, nor why the results appear "overlaid" on another part of the f home page text - I w am asking Fred to look into this.

As to why  the Crocus section ( in this example) is only found under a drop-down menu in a sub menu (and I realise that this can be a tad fiddly to find)  - the fact is that there is so much on the site that it is impossible to have more obvious links to every section. If these were laid out on the home page each section would be tiny and equally tricky to find, as well as making the home page very bitty and untidy to look at.

Over the years I have come to realise that each person wants the thing they are looking for to be the first on the page! An impossibility  to achieve this, of course, and I am confident that you understand that.

We'll see  what Fred  can find out about the search  result  problem.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:22:01 AM »
Diane - an update on the search problem - Ian reminds me that the Crocus Pages are still lodged on the srgc.org.uk site, and so the .net search does not pick them up.

One of the reasons why we have a note of the links added to the Forum Crocus section and happily the a 'google' search of Crocus  SRGC or Crocus Pages SRGC gets you a direct line both to the Crocus Pages and to the Forum Crocus section .
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:25:47 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:58:45 PM »
Ahhh! Thanks.  That explains it.  Let's hope Search gets told to look in .org as well as .net

Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal