We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Video Diary - Bulb Log supplement  (Read 88837 times)

vivienne Condon

Re: Video Diary - Bulb Log supplement
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 11:54:57 PM »
Thank you, Thank you Ian It is so wonderful to listen to you and see yours and Maggi's garden again. Its like going to one of your lectures.
I wish we had interesting gardening shows on Television here in Australia we are so starved of any information on Alpines or garden plants, all we ever hear about is vegetables, vegetables, and more vegetables not that there is anything wrong with vegetables we all need them to live, but it would be lovely to have more information about other plants.
I find it very interesting in your garden where you have everything coming up at different stages growing very closely together, I am also trying to do this in one of my garden beds. Do you have to keep plants from flopping over each other? like the Dactylorhiza or do they behave themselves and stay in their own area. I have read in your bulb logs that you hand weed as things are so close to each other.
I love the spontaneity in your voice as you find something pushing up through the ground no retakes there,
Again thank you regards Viv

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 05:35:25 AM »
Congratulations Ian!!!
I have always found your bulb log to be an invaluable resource. It is a thoroughly entertaining read, packed with information and pitched at just the right level such that it appeals to relative novices (me) and skilled growers alike.

The "walk-through" video format is the perfect companion to your bulb log. I find the Cinéma vérité style far more engaging and spontaneous than any "polished" heavily edited studio production could be. It seems to me that your garden is more about interconnected plant communities than formal structured beds; a place where the plants take precedence over grand design. Your garden walk-through & Frit house videos show you to be the enthusiastic and knowledgeable curator of a wonderful living collection of attractive and desirable plants and I look forward to further "episodes"
.........and a version translated from the Doric to auld Fife-ish. ;)
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 06:26:54 AM »
However I like spontaneity and want to pass some of the feeling that the viewer is with me as I see what is new today in the garden.

Video made me feel like I was visiting your garden, I liked it very much and I'm looking forward to seeing hopefully more later in the spring.
I like the bulb log because I can read slowly and think about the text and pictures, video shows other things. Both ways are great.
Leena from south of Finland

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 04:18:10 PM »
Ian can you tell us which camera you were using, apparently one handed and at such a low angle for some of the plants? The steady focus was particularly impressive for hand held video. We are all so used to seeing these TV cameras that seem to float in the air we sometimes forget how difficult it is to hand hold a steady video.

Brian I have been using a borrowed JVC camcorder but have now ordered my own a Cannon using the Amazon link on these pages so the SRGC will get a cut. It should arrive this week so I will use it for then on.

Vivienne, Steve and Leena many thanks for your encouraging words and support of my new efforts, it reinforces my belief and enthusiasm to continue with this project.
It is my intention that the video will act as a supplement to my written bulb log.
I think there is tremendous potential in video medium and the website.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:46:58 PM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

rgc

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 08:36:50 PM »
Hi
Have now watched Ian's video on YouTube on my television set. Also viewed Ian's video about his Frit House made on 13th February. Great to see them on a 40 inch screen rather than on a small computer screen - the detail is so much better.

Just search for 'Ian Young bulb' on YouTube to get the videos.

Bob
Bob, Stirling

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 08:55:04 PM »
Ooh! You can get them on the TV screen?  I've heard something about linking to TV but no idea  how it works or what kit you need. Such fun!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 09:50:47 PM »
Yet another natural talent of yours, Ian.  Not even taking into account the gorgeous plant materials, everything to do with recording itself seemed so effortless, yet done so well!

Thank you so much!
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

brianw

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 10:48:37 PM »
Ooh! You can get them on the TV screen?  I've heard something about linking to TV but no idea  how it works or what kit you need. Such fun!
The simplest way is to use the tv as you would a digital projector. On mine an hdmi lead works fine between the 2, but you only get the definition of the computer, as far as I know. Smart TV's can no doubt do much more when I get time to learn about using it.
But this brings me to something else more general that came up at our AGS meeting last Friday. The village hall we use now has wifi, so my laptop could access the internet when we were using it to feed a projector for a digital presentation. So I could easily show Ian's video, or anything else for that matter, to the audience. I.e. a public display. (I didn't)
So the question is; is this legal, regardless of without permission etc. etc. ?
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

rgc

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 10:05:59 AM »
Hi
We have a Samsung Smart tv with a wireless connection to our broadband. Got it after many years of rude comments from our children about our ancient tv set.
Bob
Bob, Stirling

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 11:01:47 AM »
Thank you Rick for your kind words.

Brian I think that once something is on YouTube then it can be viewed in any way you want. Certainly I would have no problems with you showing my YouTube videos in this way as long as you mention the SRGC :)

Bob - smart TV eh - we don't even have smart viewers here ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:29:34 AM by Ian Y »

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 12:11:29 PM »
Here is the Video Diary from the Frit house to go with  Bulb Log 11, online tomorrow, some of you have already found it.

You may not see the video player if you are viewing this on an IPad just click the number above to view the video.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:42:13 PM by Ian Y »

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 04:28:20 PM »
It was great seeing your frit house Ian, you have some really great plants in there, especially the fritillaries.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 06:26:07 PM »

The most difficult bit is holding the camera in one hand while remembering to look at the viewing screen to ensure I have framed the plants that I am speaking about.

Perhaps you need a glamorous assistant Ian
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

monocotman

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 09:05:07 PM »
Excellent informative video Ian.
I love the frit chitralensis.
Do you practise and prepare beforehand or just wing it?
Regards,
David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 08:46:48 AM »
Thanks David, I make no preparations I just wing it - I find you loose the spontaneity and freshness  if you rehearse - so any slips,stutters etc stay in.

Frit chitralensis is a thing of great beauty.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal