We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 06 (2015)  (Read 3193 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Bulb Log 06 (2015)
« on: February 11, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »
I cannot see pictures of all those beautiful white-flowered Eranthis species without wanting to grow them outside in my garden, alongside the yellow ones.  Do you think that will be possible?  I have been encouraged by my increasing numbers of seedlings from the cream-coloured form(s) of Eranthis hyemalis to hope that the same thing might be achieved one day with other species.
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Bulb Log 06 (2015)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:06:37 PM »
It may happen one day, Alan - we never what is ahead - but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.
For a start, the whites are for the most part, tiny in comparison to the yellows, or even the gold/orange types.  The flowers of pinnatifida, even when growing well and fully mature would fit inside a half open  flower of hyemalis.   It is a joy to be able to have the digital photos of them to be able to enlarge them enough to be able to appreciate all the delicious intricacy of their parts.  To the naked eye in a pot they are  so tiny that it would be easy to overlook them altogether.  In the open garden  in the UK you would likely never spot them, even if the slugs left them alone long enough for them to flower.

Bulb Log 6 of 2015   http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2015Feb111423653854BULB_LOG_0615.pdf

Now , of course, life and the internet being what it is, I expect someone will come along to say they have carpets of the whites, with flowers the size of dahlias ......... I'll believe it when I see it!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:16:49 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 06:42:23 PM »
Well yes in fact this post from Don B is as close as we get to that, Maggi http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=8447.msg236660#msg236660 .  But why is this only achieved in his garden in Iowa?
Almost in Scotland.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:30:54 PM »
Again a fabulous log, Ian a great thank you!
North of France

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 07:50:31 PM »
Thank you Yann.

Alan, these Eranyhis  are perfectly hardy for us and they have survived in pots in an open frame for years.
I do intend to plant a few Eranthis pinnatifida seedlings in a raise bed but wil choose the spot carefully so that they can be seen and enjoyed.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 11:10:15 PM »
Just thinking of the regular Eranthis hyemalis: they can sometimes be a bit slow to get established but once they start self-seeding there is no stopping them.  That seems to be the experience of Rob B in Iowa with pinnatifida and stellata.  But almost everybody else seems to cosset them to the point that that if they are capable of been grown in the garden few of us will ever get the opportunity to find out.
Almost in Scotland.

SJW

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 11:33:28 PM »
Hi Ian - in the latest bulb log you write A wider picture of the Ornithogalum species...showing more of the leaves and the compact habit – if you have any suggestions to the identity of this plant I would be pleased to hear from you.

I posted some pics of plants flowering in the Wisley Alpine house last week here: http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=11356.msg323938#new. How does the photo of Ornithogalum lanceolatum compare with your plant? A possibility?
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 08:34:52 AM »
Yes Steve there is a strong similarity and the collection came fro Turkey so I will mark it as a possibility, thanks.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 11:57:30 AM »
Some lovely daff seedlings, Ian, but the white eranthis are an artist's dream - What colour combinations!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 03:53:11 PM »
Thank you for sharing further growing information for eranthis, Ian :) You fed them more than I imagined. I’ll feed them a little more than before this growing season. And Crocus laevigatus which has longest flowering period and beautiful hoop petticoats are also interesting!
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal