General Subjects > Blogs and Diaries

Fred's Carnivorous Plants and other oddities

<< < (2/105) > >>

fredg:
I flood the trays Peter. Some have perlite mixed in some have just the pure Sphagnum. It's always a question of supply .

brianw:
Can I ask why you grow them under glass? For me originally it was because I had several other bog plants with them, but they grow so well they had to have their own space. Apart from birds taking the moss for nesting I can't really see a reason to keep them covered now. Not sure it will be any more difficult keeping them wet outside than in. I have only seen them in light woodland conditions in the wild but they grow along streams too I think so likely to be less shaded.

brianw:
Same subject line but different meaning. Does anyone here use a frame withing an existing greenhouse to get a warmer space for tender plants? My problem is where to keep these must have plants that flower for just a week or two a year (if I am lucky) and then stay getting dusty for the rest of the year. A sort of wardian case I am thinking of, but larger. Not just an end of the greenhouse partitioned off which I already do, frost free one end, unheated the other, but maybe 12C or so minimum.

fredg:

--- Quote from: brianw on October 12, 2014, 09:50:52 PM ---Can I ask why you grow them under glass? For me originally it was because I had several other bog plants with them, but they grow so well they had to have their own space. Apart from birds taking the moss for nesting I can't really see a reason to keep them covered now. Not sure it will be any more difficult keeping them wet outside than in. I have only seen them in light woodland conditions in the wild but they grow along streams too I think so likely to be less shaded.

--- End quote ---

Brian,
They are under glass
1.  To preserve the sphagnum from birds. I've had  an 8" pot of sphagnum stripped totally in 30 minutes, I'd left it out while I attended to something else. The Blackbird that was still in the bottom of the pot looked at me very accusingly as if I'd supplied short measure.
2.  The appearance of the pitchers is far better.
3.  Much easier to look after, the glass also serves as a barrier to all the oddities that fall from nearby trees. It's amazing  the number of maggots and larvae that drop periodically, not to mention the aphids etc.
4.  I don't have to bend down so far - as I get older the bending is the easy bit, getting up again not so easy.
5.  It gives me somewhere to sit in bad weather.

brianw:

--- Quote from: fredg on October 13, 2014, 04:00:29 PM ---Brian,
They are under glass
1.  To preserve the sphagnum from birds.
Agreed. maybe I will net them in spring and early summer. Lost most of a large autumn gentian pot a few years back.

3.  Much easier to look after, the glass also serves as a barrier to all the oddities that fall from nearby trees. It's amazing  the number of maggots and larvae that drop periodically, not to mention the aphids etc.
Not that close to trees so less of a problem, but slugs will be I guess.

4.  I don't have to bend down so far - as I get older the bending is the easy bit, getting up again not so easy.
5.  It gives me somewhere to sit in bad weather.
This seems to be for you not the plants ;-) I have a couple of raised (boxes on legs) plunge benches. Maybe they will have a new use in future.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version