We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: wildlife  (Read 217515 times)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: wildlife
« Reply #1695 on: September 09, 2021, 09:01:33 PM »
... Ashley- do they dig up your plants to do their burying? The most they do here is sit on a rock or piece of wood in garden beds occasionally to eat spruce cones- or at times when they drop thousands of cones from the tree tops, they may pile in garden edges.

Fortunately they don't dig stuff up or cause any harm in my garden Cohan but I've heard that elsewhere (grey?) squirrels excavate crocus corms etc. so gardeners must use wire mesh as a deterrent.

As you say, red squirrels love both spruce & pine cones.  Here they really binge on green cones from about July onwards & leave great numbers of 'cores' under pine trees particularly.  Besides cones and acorns they also eat apples we leave out for the birds, lichen on tree branches as well as freshly emerged oak/maple leaves and flowers before increasing tannin levels make them too bitter.  Apparently squirrels also plunder nests when the opportunity arises & indeed birds around the garden seem to keep a particularly close eye on the squirrels during the breeding season.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Tristan_He

« Reply #1696 on: September 13, 2021, 11:13:51 PM »
694794-0

This moth had expired on one of the walls. I think it is a lesser broad-bordered yellow underwing.

694796-1

Still plenty of bumblebees about, here enjoying Centaurea jacea.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1697 on: September 16, 2021, 03:36:51 PM »
Fortunately they don't dig stuff up or cause any harm in my garden Cohan but I've heard that elsewhere (grey?) squirrels excavate crocus corms etc. so gardeners must use wire mesh as a deterrent.

As you say, red squirrels love both spruce & pine cones.  Here they really binge on green cones from about July onwards & leave great numbers of 'cores' under pine trees particularly.  Besides cones and acorns they also eat apples we leave out for the birds, lichen on tree branches as well as freshly emerged oak/maple leaves and flowers before increasing tannin levels make them too bitter.  Apparently squirrels also plunder nests when the opportunity arises & indeed birds around the garden seem to keep a particularly close eye on the squirrels during the breeding season.

They are definitely opportunistic feeders here- will take advantage of bird feeders, raiding the compost pile etc They take apples that fall, but don't seem to know to get those still on branches, even when crabs or apple crabs are on the branches late. They also pick mushrooms, often putting them on spruce boughs to dry!
Some birds in particular seem aggressive towards squirrels, in some cases I think it goes both ways- esp with magpies, maybe blue jays.

ArnoldT

« Reply #1698 on: September 28, 2021, 05:43:59 PM »
It's always good to see nature taking  care of pests the organic way.

Hornworm Manduca quinquemaculata
Wasps Cotesia congregates
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1699 on: October 15, 2021, 03:39:09 PM »
Arnold- nature is not always delicate...lol... I always assume one reason that I have few insect problems is that I have lots of *other* insects ( and birds)! now if only I'd get a good timely predator of flea beetles!

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #1700 on: October 24, 2021, 11:12:41 AM »
Pomatostomus superciliosus - the white browed Babbler - is a new bird this year!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1701 on: October 25, 2021, 11:08:12 AM »
I am delighted to see the shrew because though I've read about them, we don't have them in NZ so I've never seen one. As for the mossy rose gall, what a lovely thing. Actually I DO know those very well. They signify a bad hair day.  :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1702 on: October 25, 2021, 11:10:39 AM »
Your new bird Fermi. Is this name for real?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #1703 on: October 28, 2021, 07:52:41 PM »
Does anyone know what might have made these concrete-like blobs on this rock in the Peloponnese?
696069-0

One of them had been broken open and it looked as though there were chambers inside for some sort of larvae??
696071-1
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Tristan_He

« Reply #1704 on: October 28, 2021, 10:19:29 PM »
Hi Gail, I would say these are likely to be the nest chambers of potter wasps (also called mason wasps).

See https://www.buglife.org.uk/bugs/bug-directory/heath-potter-wasp/ for an example (though there are lots of species).

Tristan

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #1705 on: October 30, 2021, 08:25:52 PM »
Thanks Tristan, I can't find anything that looks quite right but have found some fascinating articles in the process.
https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/MISC/WASPS/Sceliphron_caementarium.htm
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Nik

« Reply #1706 on: November 12, 2021, 09:23:17 PM »
Some wildlife from our yard.

Nik

« Reply #1707 on: November 12, 2021, 09:24:06 PM »
Few more

Nik

« Reply #1708 on: November 12, 2021, 09:41:22 PM »
And few more

ArnoldT

« Reply #1709 on: November 13, 2021, 03:35:57 PM »
Nik:

You have wolves in Connecticut?

Arnold
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal