We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: wildlife  (Read 220975 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: wildlife
« Reply #1515 on: September 25, 2020, 12:06:03 PM »
I'm sure both wasps and bees have a fondness for ivy. They can be seen clustered over the flower heads whenever there is pollen visible. The result is a massive crop of ivy seeds which birds, especially blackbirds and startling spread around my garden in many thousands every year. Every seed germinates and it is a full time job pulling the seedlings, ideally as they're very young and germinating as the slightly older plants get such a hold on the earth that I would need a forester or a bomb squad to control them over the year. We have a pear tree just coming into bloom now, at about 12 metres. It is huge, but an ivy climbing it has now reached the top and will probably kill in in a yea or two. The ivy trunk has so entwined and become incorporated in the pear trunk that it is impossible to identify which is which and so kill the ivy without killing the pear as well. I hate ivy.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #1516 on: September 25, 2020, 05:25:17 PM »
It seems wasps have a special fondness for ivy!

Gerd

Gerd,

Also brown bees (Apis mellifera mellifera) and the common drone fly (Eristalis tenax) love the ivy!

Brown honeybees in the ivy.

674033-0

Common drone fly in the ivy!

674035-1

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #1517 on: September 25, 2020, 05:29:59 PM »
................ We have a pear tree just coming into bloom now, at about 12 metres. It is huge, but an ivy climbing it has now reached the top and will probably kill in in a yea or two. The ivy trunk has so entwined and become incorporated in the pear trunk that it is impossible to identify which is which and so kill the ivy without killing the pear as well. I hate ivy.

Lesley,

My experience is that it take many years for an ivy to kill a tree. And I don't think strangling is the worst case but the weight of the ivy. I have an ivy in my garden and it hasn't yet killed the birch tree it climbs. The diameter of the tree is 30cm.

674047-0
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1518 on: September 25, 2020, 10:02:37 PM »
The ivy flowers are a good late source of nectar for insects.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #1519 on: September 25, 2020, 10:03:13 PM »
Apart from being such a wonderful resource for insects and birds, ivy provides surprising arboreal opportunities for small animals we normally think of as restricted to the ground.
A week or two ago I was astonished to meet a pygmy shrew almost face-to-face through our kitchen window as it skittered nonchalantly among the ivy stems on the wall :o
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1520 on: September 28, 2020, 08:07:40 PM »
It seems wasps have a special fondness for ivy!
Gerd

I often wonder what flowers smell like to insects-- there are many of these sorts of small, not brightly coloured flowers which attract many pollinators, often wasps of many sizes and other sorts of predatory insects ( many of which  nectar as an important part of their life cycle), small moths, beetles, etc..

Tristan_He

« Reply #1521 on: September 29, 2020, 12:02:31 AM »
Funnily enough, it was a nice day a few days ago and our ivy was absolutely humming with all kinds of insects (except for wasps, thankfully).

674351-1

674353-2

674355-3

The highight for me was definitely the red admirals though. I'm also hoping that the holly blue butterflies made it through our dreadful summer. They have a strange life cycle with two generations per year. The caterpillars of the spring generation feed on developing holly buds, and the autumn generation ivy. A few years ago we cut our ivy back too hard and lost our holly blues, but we have let it grow and this spring saw a female laying on the holly. Fingers crossed...

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #1522 on: October 01, 2020, 12:40:06 PM »
yesterday we saw by a walk on Kaiserstuhl our first green lizard (Lacerta bilineata )
The animal was so friendly to wait a little that we could make ( a more or less ) good picture :)

Have fun
Hans  8)
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #1523 on: October 01, 2020, 02:37:37 PM »
yesterday we saw by a walk on Kaiserstuhl our first green lizard (Lacerta bilineata )
The animal was so friendly to wait a little that we could make ( a more or less ) good picture :)

Have fun
Hans  8)

Ohh! He  is  so handsome!  You are  lucky  to see  him!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #1524 on: October 01, 2020, 03:22:18 PM »
we think this animal was laying in the sun ....yesterday was a very nice and sunny day ( now is rain )
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

ArnoldT

« Reply #1525 on: October 01, 2020, 10:03:57 PM »
Araneus diadematus Cross orb-weaver
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1526 on: October 02, 2020, 06:53:20 AM »

Have fun
Hans  8)

cool :)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #1527 on: October 02, 2020, 10:52:08 AM »
Once again the shade-house was invaded by a blackbird at the end of August.
At the end of September the nest was empty as the fledglings went off to fend for themselves in the undergrowth (to be fed by mum and dad I presume!).
We have a love-hate relationship with blackbirds as they are an introduced pest but their song is so memorable (at least to this old Beatles lover!)
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 10:54:28 AM by fermi de Sousa »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1528 on: October 02, 2020, 08:51:04 PM »
Once again the shade-house was invaded by a blackbird at the end of August.
At the end of September the nest was empty as the fledglings went off to fend for themselves in the undergrowth (to be fed by mum and dad I presume!).
We have a love-hate relationship with blackbirds as they are an introduced pest but their song is so memorable (at least to this old Beatles lover!)
cheers
fermi

cute. Somehow that Euro bird was not introduced here, the local Turdus species is the native American Robin- with similar egss of 'Robin's Egg Blue'.. we have introduced house sparrows (not in the countryside) and starlings (not on the acreage, they are out in the open).. our blackbirds are unrelated marsh birds.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #1529 on: October 02, 2020, 08:52:33 PM »
Araneus diadematus Cross orb-weaver

Love the orb weavers, but don't see them often..

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal