We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: wildlife  (Read 220964 times)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Re: wildlife
« Reply #735 on: July 19, 2016, 01:34:58 PM »
The other beetle looks like a nettle weevil (Phyllobius pomaceus) or P. maculicornis. The former is around 10cm, and the latter, being the lesser of two weevils, is just a tad smaller.
10cm?
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #736 on: July 20, 2016, 12:13:50 AM »
10cm?
Slip of the finger. :-[ 10mm. Another species it could be is Phyllobius argentatus, which is smaller at 6mm.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

KenC

« Reply #737 on: July 21, 2016, 02:26:15 PM »
I give up!  Squirrels and gophers have eaten anything with a bulb.  Deer are eating anything with leaves.  Raccoons tipped out all seed pots.  Now this guy shows up to join the party. >:(

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #738 on: July 21, 2016, 04:17:54 PM »
I give up!  Squirrels and gophers have eaten anything with a bulb.  Deer are eating anything with leaves.  Raccoons tipped out all seed pots.  Now this guy shows up to join the party. >:(
Holy Moly!  That's a BIG problem!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tristan_He

« Reply #739 on: July 22, 2016, 08:35:44 AM »

I'm starting to feel grateful to only have to deal with slugs!

Perhaps you need a pet wolf...?

Tristan_He

« Reply #740 on: July 22, 2016, 08:37:12 AM »
PS Like the Primulas.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #741 on: July 22, 2016, 08:53:51 AM »
I'm starting to feel grateful to only have to deal with slugs!

Perhaps you need a pet wolf...?

Oh no :o I'll take anything but slugs :-X

I can tolerate deer, hares, different rodents and also an occasional moose/ European elk (at the mountain cabin) (and the neighbours' cats and dogs) but not slugs :( Not all slugs though, it is Arion vulgaris a recent immigrant which is the problem).
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

brianw

« Reply #742 on: July 25, 2016, 10:42:48 PM »
Does Vipers bugloss count as wildlife ? ;-)

When I returned from the Nargs conference to a very overgrown garden, a pheasant had nested in the rough grass area. I actually mowed over the nest before I saw the 2 eggs in a small hollow. Each day they increased in number until 6 eggs just a few days ago. She crept in under the long dry grass I added to disguise it a bit, and was not visible without standing over her. Yesterday they were all broken and empty shells. A gap dug out under the fence suggest a fox visited during the night. No sign of the hen since ;-(
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

ian mcdonald

« Reply #743 on: July 26, 2016, 03:20:14 PM »
It,s pretty wild around here Brian. During a survey all forms of natural history are recorded, native and alien, for posterity. As far as I understand, all forms of natural history come under the heading of wildlife. The Verbascum has been identified as V. speciosum.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:22:00 PM by ian mcdonald »

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #744 on: July 27, 2016, 09:39:14 PM »
I splashed out on a 500MM f4 prime lens. Here are a few shots of my local ospreys

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #745 on: July 27, 2016, 11:32:57 PM »

Perhaps he's just come to see the garden. After all there can't be much left to eat. ;D Sorry, I do sympathize, rabbits are my problem and free-range chooks.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #746 on: July 27, 2016, 11:36:30 PM »
Does Vipers bugloss count as wildlife ? ;-)

When I returned from the Nargs conference to a very overgrown garden, a pheasant had nested in the rough grass area. I actually mowed over the nest before I saw the 2 eggs in a small hollow. Each day they increased in number until 6 eggs just a few days ago. She crept in under the long dry grass I added to disguise it a bit, and was not visible without standing over her. Yesterday they were all broken and empty shells. A gap dug out under the fence suggest a fox visited during the night. No sign of the hen since ;-(

So no pheasant suppers for Brian? One of our chooks has taken to laying by the back porch in a nest of bearded iris and old Narcissus leaves which I've left for her, though I don't really want her just there. They have a house for night but prefer to perch in camellias! Anyway our Marley, darling dog that he is has discovered the pleasures of egg for breakfast and chases her off the nest as soon as she's laid and grabbing the warm egg. I've had to fence her nest off. She can hop over but Marley can't. Yet.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:41:08 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #747 on: July 28, 2016, 01:59:15 AM »
I splashed out on a 500MM f4 prime lens. Here are a few shots of my local ospreys

Beautiful pictures; it should make the pain of parting with that amount of money go away.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #748 on: July 28, 2016, 12:09:41 PM »
Fabulous photos, Fred - worth the expense I'm sure, as David said!  And will be loads of fun for you to work with in future -but I suppose now isn't a good time to ask you to lend me a fiver?   
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #749 on: July 30, 2016, 01:03:38 PM »
Possible conversation:
pic 1: what are we waiting for? Shouldn't we just jump into this garden?
pic 2: here comes Ted
pic 3: Ted says not to jump into fermi and Will's garden or they'll get mad!
pic 4: we're off then!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal