We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: wildlife  (Read 220942 times)

Tristan_He

Re: wildlife
« Reply #585 on: January 27, 2016, 07:57:39 PM »
They do hibernateas adults, yes. Red Admirals seem to be doing this increasingly too - hence the famous 'red admiral and the snowdrop' photo a couple of years ago. Also, if you find a butterfly in your house in winter, please put it in a safe place outside (e.g. in an ivy bush or in an open porch). Heating will kill it.

There is a good article about it on the Butterfly Conservation website.

http://butterfly-conservation.org/3114-3219/heating-and-hibernation.html

brianw

« Reply #586 on: February 03, 2016, 11:32:39 AM »
In winter our local stream (Thames tributary) has a Little Egret as an winter visitor. Cars passing it ignores but gets a bit twitchy with walkers ~ 80' away, and usually flies further into the adjacent field. Noticed this morning we now have 2 birds, although they were on opposite ends of the village so need to get their act together yet. Doubt they will find anywhere locally quiet enough to nest and they will probably head for the Thames and the old gravel pits area a couple of miles away. Quite a delicate bird when it flies towards you as you drive along parallel to the stream. The much heavier swans and herons look clumsy in comparison when they try to avoid the trees and power lines etc.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #587 on: February 04, 2016, 09:03:38 PM »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #588 on: February 05, 2016, 09:01:49 AM »
Tortoiseshell butterflies and peacocks need to be in outhouses and unheated garages, not hedges. Commas hibernate in hedgerows. Not sure red admirals hibernate in the true sense. Perhaps they just rest up in cold weather, and if they survive, they are lucky.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #589 on: February 05, 2016, 11:26:23 AM »
The day I find a squirrel making a snowman in my garden is the day I take to drink!  :D ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

scatigaz

« Reply #590 on: February 06, 2016, 08:27:04 AM »
If I saw one making a snowman in my garden it would be the day to stop drinking.  ;D
gary lee

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #591 on: February 10, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
For those who you who have not seen this CBC Special 'A Murder of Crows' it's an absolute must. The experiment around 24:00 is particularly surprising.

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episodes/a-murder-of-crows

johnw -  +2c & overcast
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #592 on: February 29, 2016, 09:29:09 AM »
Was away Sunday to Wednesday last week on one of our 6 year 9 camps. First day was a rather steep 14 km tramp through the Waharau Regional Park, near Kaiaua on the western side of the Firth of Thames, south east of Auckland and about 80 minutes by double decker bus from our school. On our way down the bush track we had to cross a stream and jump over this huge spider. I have found out it is Dolomedes dondalei, a species only described in 2010. Like D. aquaticus, the large water spider found further south, it floats its front legs on the water waiting for a trapped insect or unlucky fish to get close. It was not for moving, even though about 5 dozen students and adults had to stride over it. There is a third species very common in Auckland, the nursery web spider (D. minor), which is still quite big, but this one was at least 2" across the legs. There is an even bigger species, D. schauinslandi, but it's only found on the Chatham Islands.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #593 on: February 29, 2016, 12:46:37 PM »
...we had to cross a stream and jump over this huge spider... waiting for a trapped insect or unlucky fish to get close. It was not for moving, even though about 5 dozen students and adults had to stride over it...
Maybe it was waiting for "an unlucky student" to get close :o
 ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

brianw

« Reply #594 on: March 14, 2016, 12:01:11 AM »
Wildlife weekend. Found Mallard as fresh roadkill while out shopping and brought it home. Tied the legs to a rock with thin wire, in the hope that a fox would not try and bury it in my sand bed, and left it in an open wild part of the garden for the Kytes. One had daintily plucked a pheasant some time back. Next morning all that was left were feathers scattered around. No corpse. A feathered wing-tip was buried in an area of mulch but the fox must have carried the rest off, minus the rock but still with the wired legs. The Kites went hungry.
Later saw a Muntjac the other side of my hedge/fence and crossing the drive entrance before disappearing. 30seconds later it reappeared and walked round the garden looking for another escape route. I managed to get round the back of the house and drive it back out the entrance.
Kestrels still appearing daily but usually alone now. Drew the curtains the other morning and the male was looking straight at me from the middle of the apple tree. Photo from earlier a bit dark; a dull day.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Roma

« Reply #595 on: March 14, 2016, 11:46:12 AM »
Saw the first bumble bee of the season yesterday.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #596 on: March 14, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »
Saw the first bumble bee of the season yesterday.

They were around my Mahonia flowers before Christmas
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #597 on: March 16, 2016, 01:56:25 PM »
Our resident 'roo had been taking a snooze under a nectarine tree in a mixed bed but took himself off to another section as we went about watering
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #598 on: March 16, 2016, 02:04:50 PM »
Is he quite old then, fermi? His haunches look a bit bony - tho' he still has a very cute face.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #599 on: March 16, 2016, 02:14:23 PM »
Hi Maggi,
we think he's an old male who has kicked out of the mob so he's on his own :'( .
This is all conjecture on our part though! ::)
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal