We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: wildlife  (Read 220942 times)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
Re: wildlife
« Reply #480 on: August 29, 2015, 08:52:33 AM »
Lovely chance encounter with the Stag Ian .

I had company in the garden here in NZ a few days ago in the form of an inquisitive Kaka ,(Nestor meridionalis), which has been around for at least 3 weeks visiting our bush section that backs onto the larger Otatara native reserve . It flew down quite close and after posing for a number of pictures I then observed how powerful it's beak was as it demolished a rotten branch high up in the canopy in the search I presume for grubs.
A long way from home ,the nearest population being on Rakiura ,(Stewart Island), some 55 ks away.
Sighted again today .......
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #481 on: August 29, 2015, 12:10:57 PM »
One ambition of mine is to visit Stewart Island, but a forlorn hope, as getting permission and affording the technology to see Tukutuku rakiurae, the harlequin gecko, would be extremely difficult.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #482 on: August 29, 2015, 12:40:40 PM »
Lovely chance encounter with the Stag Ian .

I had company in the garden here in NZ a few days ago in the form of an inquisitive Kaka ,(Nestor meridionalis), which has been around for at least 3 weeks visiting our bush section that backs onto the larger Otatara native reserve . It flew down quite close and after posing for a number of pictures I then observed how powerful it's beak was as it demolished a rotten branch high up in the canopy in the search I presume for grubs.
A long way from home ,the nearest population being on Rakiura ,(Stewart Island), some 55 ks away.

Great sighting Dave; I would love to have a kaka in my garden. At the moment all I have is a surplus of cats, ferrets and possums. The last time I saw a kaka in the wild was at Makarora in the bush behind the DOC visitor Centre.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #483 on: August 29, 2015, 02:04:42 PM »
An impressive bird, t00lie - at first glance the plumage looks quite  subdued but  then we see that there is a lot of lovely colour and shading.  That beak looks  a real weapon!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #484 on: August 29, 2015, 02:57:08 PM »
I've seen kaka on the Tiritiri Matangi island reserve. At least you don't have bloody idiots blasting away at them like on Mototapu Island near Auckland, where four takahe (there are only 300 left on the planet - deer hunters "hired" to cull 600 pukeko were responsible and had been trained to tell the difference) were shot by mistake (takahe are the ones that are twice as big and don't fly), or near Nelson, where some keas were illegally shot last week!

Roma

« Reply #485 on: August 29, 2015, 10:32:08 PM »
Some cute red squirrel pictures.  This lot were taken between 7.50 am and 8.20 am on July 30th.  It's quite common to have two fighting for a place at the food but four is unusual.  Don't know why they were all so hungry that day.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #486 on: August 29, 2015, 10:37:28 PM »
A few portraits.  The first one was a very wet day.  4 & 5 are the same squirrel and I think 2 is as well.  The all reds are less common than the ones with darker tails though it can vary from year to year.

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #487 on: September 01, 2015, 01:49:23 PM »
Not many 'pretty' insects (like butterflies) around at this time of the year, so here's a couple of their uglier relatives seen on a walk over the Simonside moors in Northumberland last week.

1. Pond skater (Gerris costae)

2. Not sure about this one. First thought it was a slightly small dark bumblebee at first glance, but it's obviously a fly of some sort. My first guess was a bee-fly, but all the British species seem to have a long proboscis, so any sugggestions would be gratefully received.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 11:37:33 PM by Peter Maguire »
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #488 on: September 02, 2015, 09:37:10 AM »
Your fly is not a bee fly, which has a long forward pointing proboscis,  Peter. It looks more like Tachina grossa, the larvae of which parasitise large caterpillars.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #489 on: September 02, 2015, 11:54:53 AM »
Brilliant to have red squirrels coming to your garden
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Roma

« Reply #490 on: September 02, 2015, 09:42:55 PM »
We've had quite a lot coming since spring.  They completely disappeared about this time last year and we saw very few over winter.  Last year was a bumper year for conifer seeds so maybe they did not need extra feeding.  There are pine, larch, sitka and norway spruce quite close.  We lost many big sitka spruce and a couple of pine trees last winter and I do not think it has been such a good year for cones so they will be needing fed this year.  It's a bit annoying when they bury so many nuts and the crows and magpies follow them around and dig them up again.  One male is particularly bad.  Some of the girls are still rearing young so do not have time for burying nuts.   

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #491 on: September 04, 2015, 10:00:36 PM »
It looks more like Tachina grossa

Many thanks Anthony, that fits the bill exactly. It's been interesting to explore what resources are around on the web to aid with identification these days: I even came across a dipterist's forum which should have been of help, but I'm new to flies  ;) and it was like opening a flora for the first time.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Jonny_SE

• Some pics of my garden etc.
« Reply #492 on: September 04, 2015, 10:10:21 PM »
Red squirrels steal our chocolate and everything if we don't close the front door......Had 3 at the same time in my kitchen ...They disappeard for some years when it was cats around here...now the cats are gone and the squirrels are back.....me likes.....
Before I speak, I have something important to say "Groucho Marx"

https://www.facebook.com/jonny.andresen.9

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #493 on: September 06, 2015, 07:35:39 PM »
Tell me the secret of making cats disappear and you will have a friend for life...
Can anyone help me ID this moth, seen at Hartlepool today on grassland near the sea? The poor wee thing's a bit tatty. It was quite large, about the size of a Common Blue butterfly.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #494 on: September 06, 2015, 07:44:19 PM »
I thought there were only monkeys hanging there?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal