We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: wildlife  (Read 220063 times)

angie

Re: wildlife
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2014, 09:35:11 PM »
Then you may not like me either Angie, whenever we meet ::) ;) ;D
Best wishes for the rest of your holiday.  I hope these misadventures have a funny side and bring happy memories too.

Ashley can you run fast as well  ;) You are so lucky living in such a beautiful place and the people are so friendly. Weather was perfect and we had only one misty morning. Already planning my next visit. We got up to a bit beyond Galway so there is still more for us to see.  Next year I am coming over for a few weeks instead of five days.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

angie

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2014, 09:39:50 PM »
Us Australians are all laughing out loud after reading the above discussion about spiders..  ;D  Angie I recommend you think carefully about wildlife before you consider immigrating to Australia.  8)

Warning - do not click the link below if you suffer from arachnophobia. A very common spider in Australian houses and we consider it harmless. (ish).

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Lesquerella&safe=off&rlz=1C1KMZB_enAU578AU578&es_sm=93&biw=1920&bih=979&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=1d4hVLabJsfi8AXZwoKAAQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=huntsman+spider

Ok how do you expect me to sleep after looking at those pictures. I have checked my roof for any little spiders  ;D that might fall on me when I am sleeping  ;D Are there really a lot of these spiders over there with you or would it be unusual for these to be around the house.

Angie T.

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »

Yes a lot Angie although they are much more active in the summer months. They come into the house regularly and run around on the walls and ceiling. It's my job to catch them release them outside. In their natural habitat they live on and under the peeling bark of Eucalyptus and don't spin a web, catching insects by stalking them. That's why they don't sit in one place but hunt, wandering into houses and sheds and even into cars! It's a nasty shock to have one run across the inside of the windshield while you're driving along! Happened to me a few times... it's something Australians can all relate to having experienced something similar.
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

angie

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »
Wow its bad enough when there is a wasp in the car let alone a massive spider. Well I can now say that there is something good about staying in a cold, windy place like Aberdeen. Little spiders  ;) ;D I will have to remember if I ever get the chance to visit Australia to take along a big net, not for catching spiders its for covering me up when I am sleeping.
This reminds me of another story, I have a lot of frogs and toads in the garden and some are what I describe as being big. Well my American friend said that they weren't big you should see the ones that we have back home. I just though here we go everything is bigger over there. Well, she was right as we were boating down the lake she said to me look I told you so. I couldn't believe my eyes. This thing was enormous. I think she said it was a bull frog, never had the camera such a shame. One thing for sure you would know if you stood on that  :o

Angie T.

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2014, 06:57:50 AM »
Nearly 11 cm long, is it a big one ?  ;D
Toad of Pelobatus cultripes, southern France

Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Karaba

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2014, 07:03:35 AM »
Karaba you know your bats! Do you study them?
Indeed, it's a part of my job  ;)
From last night
Leisler's bat, Nyctalus leisleri, calling from a sing post
Funny  ;D I can't analyse the record with a software so that I can be sure but it looks like that the Leisler's bat is responding to the social calls of a common pipistrelle.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2014, 07:11:57 AM »
Nearly 11 cm long, is it a big one ?  ;D
Toad of Pelobatus cultripes, southern France

That's a chunky tadpole, Karaba, and I love the common name of Western Spadefoot (Pelobates cultripes).

... but still a dwarf compared to Cane Toads (aka Marine Toads).

Chris
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Karaba

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2014, 08:30:09 AM »
Oups, I made a confusion between poad and tadpole (my poor english...)
Yes, the Spadefoot is not very big but it has big tadpoles, isn't it ? Even big female of Bufo spinosus look dwarf compared to Cane Toads  :o

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2014, 01:57:20 PM »
I fell in love with that fat  tadpole   :P :-[

Found  some info about this small furry critter, which I thought would cheer up the arachnophobes by showing something incredibly cute ----  a western pygmy possum (Cercartetus concinnus) pic by Amanda McClean
Just look at those whiskers!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2014, 11:48:12 PM »
The balance of the Universe has been upset. Time to fix it.  8) Was trying to catch flies for my geckos yesterday and one ended up in the web of a White Cobweb Spider (Achaearanea tepidariorum), a recent immigrant to NZ although it is found worldwide.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:16:22 AM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2014, 10:45:04 AM »

I was lucky today and snapped a photo of our resident blue wren, affectionately known by us as 'Bluey'. He and his little lady have chicks at the moment which have just flown the nest and are hopping all around the garden. Blue wrens are notoriously hard to photograph. They just never sit still long enough to get a decent shot. I was sitting in the front garden with my camera in hand and he landed in front of me on the lawn. :)

Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

vivienr

« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2014, 01:28:37 PM »
A cloud of ladybirds has just descended here this afternoon. There are several hundred of them crawling all over the outside of the house.
Had to run round quickly closing all the windows which was annoying as it is warmer outside than in. >:(
Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Roma

« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2014, 07:30:34 PM »
The mild weather we are having just now is bringing out the butterflies, mainly Red Admirals.  I saw 13 on Sunday.  I am still seeing an occasional Small Tortoiseshell or Peacock but they are usually faded or have damaged wings.  I had a less common visitor today, a Comma.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2014, 08:27:10 PM »
The mild weather we are having just now is bringing out the butterflies, mainly Red Admirals.  I saw 13 on Sunday.  I am still seeing an occasional Small Tortoiseshell or Peacock but they are usually faded or have damaged wings.  I had a less common visitor today, a Comma.

I was squashing newly hatched caterpillars on my broccoli plants yesterday. Don't think they'll have stood much of a chance being so late in the season, but they could have had time enough to strip my brassicas.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:28:52 AM by Matt T »
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2014, 09:16:03 PM »
It's amazing how the comma has spread throughout the UK. A hundred years ago it was confined to three counties in the west of England, having shrunk from a wider distribution to as far north as Fife, but not the west of Scotland in the 1850s. Its spread started in the 1930s, but has been more dramatic in the last 5 years. I saw my first comma in Dunblane in 2009.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal