We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Power Point lectures  (Read 2721 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Power Point lectures
« on: December 11, 2007, 07:39:11 PM »
I'm puttingther a talk on Swifts. Does anyone know how I can add a sound clip?

I would like to take some images off a pdf document. Does anyone know how to?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Power Point lectures
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 08:39:38 PM »
I'm puttingther a talk on Swifts. Does anyone know how I can add a sound clip?
I would like to take some images off a pdf document. Does anyone know how to?

Yes, I recall having correspondence on a similar topic some time ago. 

1. Inserting sound into Powerpoint
Set up the slide show first, without sound.
You will need to have the sound ready in .wav format.  If it’s in the wrong format, you will need to convert it which you can do with a free converter (itunes will do it if you have this, or let me know and I can send you details of a free download).  Save your sound in the same folder as your powerpoint show.  Then, it depends how large your sound file is.  If it is a small one, you can take it directly into the power point presentation,  this is the best.  If it is a large clip, go to Tools – Options – General, where it says “link sounds with file size greater than” type in 50000 which is the largest it will take.   

Now go to the slide where you want the sound to be heard.  Go to Slide show – Slide Transition and look at the Task bar on the right.  Under Modify Transition, go to Sound, and scroll right down to the bottom, where it says Other sound.  This will enable you to browse to your sound and then import it.  You can choose to loop the sound until the next slide (or sound) if you wish by ticking the options. 

2.  Taking a picture off a pdf.  It depends what version of Abode has been used, whether you can take this straight off.  The foolproof and easiest way is this: Do a screen shot of it, then import it into Photoshop (or similar) to convert it to a .jpeg.  When the picture is on the screen, press PrtScn.  Open up Photoshop, then go to File and click on New from Clipboard.  You will then be able to crop it and do whatever editing you need and export as a .jpeg.  It will have lost quality, but probably OK for a Powerpoint. 

Let me know if anything doesn't work (you may have different versions of software)
Diane
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 09:13:58 PM »
(2) Plan B. Click the picture with the select tool in Adobe reader. Then right click it and choose "copy image" from the menu to copy it to the clipboard. I can imagine this does not always work.

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 09:24:21 PM »
(2) Plan B. Click the picture with the select tool in Adobe reader. Then right click it and choose "copy image" from the menu to copy it to the clipboard. I can imagine this does not always work.

It's the easiest way, and worth a try, but some Adobe files are saved in a format to stop you extracting pictures or text. 

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 09:36:45 PM »
It's the easiest way, and worth a try, but some Adobe files are saved in a format to stop you extracting pictures or text. 

OK

(2) Plan C. Install GhostScript/GhostView - free. Load the PDF and then you can save individual pages in the file format of your choice at the resolution you want.

All depends what the images are - photos or graphics? as to what resolution you need and what file format is most suitable.

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 10:56:53 PM »
Hi - useful thread for today!  I am hoping to run sound behind a sequence of slides at local AGS meet next week.  (Song - 'let it snow', slides alpines and family in snowy Switzerland).
Any advice on running sound behind a sequence of slides will save my blood pressure rising as I hunt for an answer :)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 11:06:43 PM »
Hi - useful thread for today!  I am hoping to run sound behind a sequence of slides at local AGS meet next week.  (Song - 'let it snow', slides alpines and family in snowy Switzerland).
Any advice on running sound behind a sequence of slides will save my blood pressure rising as I hunt for an answer :)

Yes,  I would use PhotoStory instead of Powerpoint - free download from MS.  Advantage is - very easy to use, drag all pictures in then arrange the order.  You can do simple edits in the program, such as crop, red eye removal, etc.  Set slide timings and transitions (similar to Powerpoint, but easier).  Then add a track from a CD if you wish.  Photostory will then compress the whole file so it is not too large.  The presentation will run in Windows Media player.  Disadvantage over Powerpoint is that you have to set the timings for each slide to run, you can't control the slide advance through mouse click.  But for some presentations, that's OK.  You will need to be running at least XP with SP2 and you will need at least Media player10 (free download if you haven't got it).
It's too late for more now, but will get back tomorrow if more needed.
Diane

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 11:57:34 PM »
all sorted thanks

Power Point 2007 allows you to insert sound direct from a CD onto the images

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 12:20:24 AM »
Thanks Diane - Much too late to try it now .... I'll be in touch if I get stuck!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 08:09:10 AM »
to get an image off a read only pdf file save the file to a folder and open it with Photo Shop

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal