We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 24/4/13  (Read 1413 times)

Helen Johnstone

• New alpine enthusiast, who is keen to learn lots
    • The Patient Gardener
Bulb log 24/4/13
« on: April 25, 2013, 12:32:45 PM »
Another good read this week - 24/4/13
I am interested in the South American bulbs which you are going to grow outside.  I thought it would be too cold for them or do you protect them in some way.  I have limited greenhouse/cold frame space but have a weakness for South African and American plants which caused me huge problems in the winter  ::)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Bulb log 24/4/13
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »
Another fine log Ian, and wonderful plants.  Those Crocus pelistericus and scardicus are superb, as are the asphodelus and muscari, but that Fritillaria pinardii form is just exquisite I think :o

Because of mixed results in pots under glass and encouraged by your experience, increasingly I’m trying frits and my more precious crocus in the garden.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Mavers

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 02:26:03 PM »
Really informative regarding Erythronium sibericum Ian.

I find the flowers form underground when in the garden & never look their best. I will now try growing them in a pot so I can give them the warmer temperature needed to lengthen the stems.

Where else can one go for such valuable 'education'?

Thanks again Ian.

PS love the variation in your seedlings.

This morning I was nearly late for work because of spending too much time in the garden admiring my trilliums     8)
Mike
Somerset, UK

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 03:05:09 PM »
Another good read this week - 24/4/13
I am interested in the South American bulbs which you are going to grow outside.  I thought it would be too cold for them or do you protect them in some way.  I have limited greenhouse/cold frame space but have a weakness for South African and American plants which caused me huge problems in the winter  ::)

I have grown many of the Ipheion unprotected outside for many years without porblems.  I will try Tristagma and Tecophilaea in a sand bed this coming year. I suspect I will have more success with the Tristagma than the Tecophilaea.
I find that we do not have sufficient light levels to keep many of the South African species compact and happy so I do not try many of them although others from this forum do succeed with them.

Really informative regarding Erythronium sibericum Ian.

I find the flowers form underground when in the garden & never look their best. I will now try growing them in a pot so I can give them the warmer temperature needed to lengthen the stems.

Where else can one go for such valuable 'education'?

Thanks again Ian.

PS love the variation in your seedlings.

This morning I was nearly late for work because of spending too much time in the garden admiring my trilliums     8)

Mike, these are second generation garden seedlings that are selecting themselves to our garden conditions and all are flowering properly on a stem . The first one we got as a bulb behaved just as you describe trying to open underground - taking them under glass just as the first tip breaks the ground will encourage the stem to grow.
We have around 100 in or just coming into flower in the garden just now. Wait to you see next weeks Bulb log - because I am off to the Czech Conference I am having to prepare logs in advance so have just written next weeks which shows some more E. sibericum.

Another fine log Ian, and wonderful plants.  Those Crocus pelistericus and scardicus are superb, as are the asphodelus and muscari, but that Fritillaria pinardii form is just exquisite I think :o

Because of mixed results in pots under glass and encouraged by your experience, increasingly I’m trying frits and my more precious crocus in the garden.

Ashley I am sure you will find, like I do, many of the plants grow better in the garden that we can grow them in pots - embarrassingly.

Thank you all for your kind comments.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Mavers

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »
Can't wait to see them Ian.
Mike
Somerset, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 05:03:44 PM »
Quote from: Mavers on Today at 02:26:03 PM

Very understandable to us here - but I'm guessing  that your employer wouldn't have been impressed with that as an excuse! ::) :-X

The morning light on flowers is just SO lovely.......
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal