We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Under starter's orders ... and they're off!  (Read 874 times)

DaveP

Under starter's orders ... and they're off!
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:13:17 AM »
Well, the race is on ...
I'm starting from fresh with approx. 20 sp. & hybrids this winter with newly acquired  bulbs that I removed from cool storage and potted a little while ago.  Growth buds were showing on many and over the past week, it has become obvious that either Britannia 'Doreen' or forrestii will be the first to flower - it's neck and neck at the moment.  Formosana 'Cairngorm', Stromboli & aurita seem to be vying for third place, while others are trailing. 

Flower timing seems somewhat topsy-turvy, but that is no doubt due to this being a new collection that needs to settle in.  Inevitably several will not flower this spring, but the aim is to get them established and growing well rather than having a good show for which I can claim no credit.  Nevertheless, I anticipate a fair number of flowers, which will spur me on for the year ahead.  I have a tendency to 'experiment' with composts, but am playing safe this year at least with 2:1:1 (bark, moss & perlite) for most and 1:1:1 (moss, perlite & bark) for those that prefer a higher moss content.  Fingers crossed & wish me luck.
Torbay
South Devon

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
Re: Under starter's orders ... and they're off!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 10:40:42 AM »
Hi Dave,
I see you're champing at the bit. Seems you've managed the first hurdle.
Good luck. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

erf

• PleioneWorld
Re: Under starter's orders ... and they're off!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »
Hello DaveP
I wish you luck with your new project. Take care it takes very little time to get addicted to this little beuty. I started som 4-5 years ago and collection has been growing since...... it seems hard to stop. Every autum /vinter you get your self a few new ones and in the spring you get high on flowering season. Then the long working periode with watering and fertelicing and then a new fix in the autum. Clearly an addiction. But I have no intention to get clean from his druck  ::) ::) ;D
Enjoy the flowers
Regards Erling
cbc35863586
For Pleione pictures, have a look at https://www.facebook.com/PleioneWorld
or find me at www.pleioneworld.dk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal