We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus ID  (Read 801 times)

grenadier

Galanthus ID
« on: February 20, 2021, 04:46:19 PM »
Hello Please can any galanthophile ID the names of the galanthus flowers in the enclosed pictures.

680668-0
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 07:11:34 PM by Maggi Young »
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus ID
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 08:04:18 PM »
Well the flowers appear to have 5 outer petals and, I think, 5 inners.  The mark on the inner petals is typical of nivalis although that's not to say that it could not be something else or a hybrid.  I cannot tell if the leaves we can see belong to those flowers or not, which is a great pity because leaves are always very important in making an identification.  If I thought it was a cultivar with a lost label then the most likely candidate that springs to mind is one called 'Mrs Thompson'.  See here: http://www.judyssnowdrops.co.uk/Plant_Profiles/Hybrids_Single/mrs_thompson/mrs_thompson.htm 
But if it is just a find in grenadier 's garden then it is just a find in grenadiers garden, albeit an interesting one because of the extra petals.
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal