We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 11915 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: July 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 11:11:40 PM »
I can't imagine it getting any bigger. Just wish it would show some sign of ripening. ::)

Although, in theory, this is our coldest time, I have first flowers out on Iris ret. 'Pauline,' I. danfordiae (I didn't plant any this last summer so this is a second year one. :D and on many crocuses. CC. cvijicii and its hybrids with veluchensis, sieberi atticus, s. 'Hubert Edelsten,' chrysanthus from Mt Parnassus, c. 'Zwanenburg Bronze,' biflorus alexandri, and a halfway decent patch (6 out) of baytopiorum. Also double snowdrops 'Laby Beatrix Stanley,' 'Lavinia,' 'Dionysus' and 'Tubby Merlin,' heaps of Cyc. coum especially the Pewter Group corms and the Bellarine primulas 'Summer Skies' and 'Pink Ice.' Not bad for mid winter. I'll do some pictures when there are more out in the patches. There should be 20 or more flowers on I. r. 'Pauline' and the others are coming along nicely.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 11:38:35 AM »
Lesley, thanks for reminding me to  look at the Hokonui Alpines catalogue full of sumptuous, desirable treasures which was updated only a fortnight ago.
Apart from many precious gems, I discovered  a few charming  Iris species that I have been after for a while as well.
Looking at such treasures in their catalogue is very addictive and understandably  could not help myself sneaking in another order while my wife is away for a week ;D ;D visiting our daughter and grandchildren in Nelson and worry about the….and expenses later.
I was tempted to get some more but this list will do for now, otherwise I am in trouble with (guess who).

ANDROSACE vandellii,  CAMPANULA G.F.Wilson, CAMPANULA pulla, DIANTHUS Whatfield Wisp, GENTIANA depressa,
IBERIS pygmaea, IRIS gracilipes alba, IRIS lacustris, IRIS verna, LEWISIA leeana Kardinal, LEWISIA tweedyi alba, OURISIA coccinea,
PENSTEMON rupicola, POTENTILLA nitida rubra, SAPONARIA Bressingham, SILENE hookeri bolanderi, SILENE hookeri ingramii, SOLDANELLA carpatica alba, VITALIANA primuliflora.

We're also looking forward to the pictures of all those lovely bulbs you mentioned.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:45:03 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 10:08:54 AM »
In Australia we can only dream about having such plants available from a nursery!
Thank Heavens for the Seed Exchanges and Seed merchants like Kristl and Kurt where we can get some of the many treasures we saw on our European "vacation" in April and May!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 10:39:37 AM »
I'm still wearing my "Gone to seed" T-shirt. ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »
A few pics from the garden this morning,
the first double snowdrop, Galanthus Lady Beatrix Stanley
303117-0

A stray hoop petticoat daff, possibly a seedling of a Narcissus romieuxii Cv,
303119-1

and a poor pic of the first look at Sternbergia candida for the year!
303121-2

cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

arillady

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 11:30:57 AM »
Photos are so much better if taken in daylight as I found today.
In order of attaching:
Iris pseudopumila (Sicily x Gargano)yellow brown spot (ex Harald Mathes seed) cross that did not take - it has pollen so the cross with an aril did not take. It flowers early and often so I am going to try crossing it again with an aril this year.
PT0022 - I showed this last year but this photo is showing the right colours. Iris mariae x Iris haynei hybrid dark form
And then two of: Iris kirkwoodiae x Iris atropurpurea (again Harald Mathes seed) showing the details better.

Edit : to change  kirkwoodii to   Iris kirkwoodiae Chaudhary
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:35:43 PM by Maggi Young »
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 03:16:16 AM »
Gosh these are early Pat, and beautiful!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

arillady

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 10:17:34 AM »
Yes the flowering is at least a month early.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 12:30:21 AM »
Pat,
those arils are stunning!
I got a better pic of the Sternbergia candida on the weekend,
303649-0

And a few galanthus,
Galanthus elwesii
303651-1

and Galanthus "Comet"
303653-2

cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 01:19:14 AM »
Serveral September flowering rhododendrons are out in local gardens, shivering with cold but flowering well and haven't been frosted. And this morning I passed a garden with Michaelia doltsopa in almost full bloom. This is early July for Heaven's sake! A few magnolias showing colour as well, especially M. campbellii.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 06:15:07 AM »
the first "spring" crocus in our garden,
Crocus sieberi ? "Firefly"?
305506-0

and a tiny snowdrop, Galanthus rizehensis
305508-1

cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 10:08:14 PM »
I've been worried about my precious Sternbergia candida, with your in bloom Fermi, mine not even showing though it had a healthy contractile root back in the summer/autumn. I had a bit of a look yesterday and the stem is there, just below the pot surface so it shouldn't be long.

So many crocuses, Narcissus, Galanthus and Cyclamen in flower that spring almost seems here. But hardest frost of the winter this morning. I'm very impressed by N. 'Mitimoto,' a single bulb from Marcus summer before last. It flowered last year and I thought nothing special, but this year it has increased four fold and the flowers are HUGE. Will take a pic later if I can stop sliding about.

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 11:49:14 PM »
Hi There,

Haven't made a post for a while. Deep in the hellebore season now. Thought I'd post a couple of my latest creations. I particularly like the first, a double white picotee, almost good enough to eat in a raspberry sundae sort of way.

Cheers, Marcus

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 12:14:28 AM »
Those are really lovely Marcus, though it's a bit cold for raspberry sundaes today. -4C overnight and though the sun's out, the temp is still just 3C. Brrr.

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 12:37:21 AM »
Hi Lesley,

Yeah those glittery, icecream dripping days seem a long way off but we've turned the corner. Its not as cold as that here but I have been "out in it" for too many days so it feels like it. The sun has just peeped weakly out of a cloudy sky so I can cope!

Cheers, M

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal