We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: starting gentiana sino ornata or related seeds and keeping them alive  (Read 739 times)

corydalisambigua

Hello, I'm not a great plant grower. I got a lot of autumn Asian gentian seed last year, but these are the survivors... and they are slowly dying. They are indoors under a light. I probably need a better light. Any other suggestions? Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 05:25:05 PM by corydalisambigua »

arisaema

Re: starting gentiana sino ornata or related seeds and keeping them alive
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 07:08:43 PM »
They are indoors under a light.

That would be your issue, they'd do much better outside in a cold frame, they're fully hardy even at that size.

corydalisambigua

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 07:13:32 PM »
Oh OK! I'm worried about slugs eating them etc. And I wanted them to get a good start. Maybe I will surround them with diatemaceous earth or slug bait to address the slugs. Thank you!!

arisaema

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 07:17:35 PM »
Try copper foil tape around the pots, maybe? I'm assuming you already saw, but the Czech seed lists have a lot of fresh Gentiana collections from China this year.

corydalisambigua

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 07:47:16 PM »
Oh thanks! I had checked Holobec's list for g. sino ornata and didn't see any but I missed the Gentiana lawrencei and hexaphylla so TY!

Tim Walsh

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 11:31:40 PM »
Just a quick note about slugs, snails and prevention...copper tape and diatomaceous earth doesn't work. I suggest a visit to www.gardenmyths.com for some rea, science-based answers to MANY gardening questions. The author is a retired biochemist who operates his own small botanical garden in Canada. He shows a photo of a snail crawling over a razor blade to make a point!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal