Specific Families and Genera > Meconopsis

Meconopsis 2023

<< < (3/3)

Leena:
I have grown Meconopsis 'Wysiwyg', pink perennial, from seed ex. Can anyone tell me more about it? It looks M.bayleyi-like, but is it a hybrid?
From those seeds I got some baileyi-type, light blue.  Then this summer one fine plant with pinkish flowers flowered for the first time and it was good. :)
In the last picture the bluer one on the right is Jim's ex.

Leena:
Then from the same seeds there were some which were more purplish blue, but the flowers were distorted, and I put them in compost bin this summer, because the flowers were no good also the second year they flowered.

Margaret Thorne:

--- Quote from: Leena on January 27, 2024, 03:56:25 PM ---I have grown Meconopsis 'Wysiwyg', pink perennial, from seed ex. Can anyone tell me more about it? It looks M.bayleyi-like, but is it a hybrid?
From those seeds I got some baileyi-type, light blue.  Then this summer one fine plant with pinkish flowers flowered for the first time and it was good. :)
In the last picture the bluer one on the right is Jim's ex.

--- End quote ---
'WYSIWYG' stands for 'what you see is what you get', so yours was presumably seed collected from a pink flowered M. baileyi which could have been pollinated by any other Mec species in the donor's garden. I think the label is more often applied to evergreen monocarpics grown together and left to hybridise, in which case they are more correctly described as M x complexa.

Leena:

--- Quote from: Margaret Thorne on January 31, 2024, 09:00:41 PM ---'WYSIWYG' stands for 'what you see is what you get', so yours was presumably seed collected from a pink flowered M. baileyi which could have been pollinated by any other Mec species in the donor's garden. I think the label is more often applied to evergreen monocarpics grown together and left to hybridise, in which case they are more correctly described as M x complexa.

--- End quote ---

Margaret, thank you.  :)
I think I will discard all of them, so that they won't hybridize with the better ones I have.

Leena:
What a nice surprise was in the mailbox today, new seeds to play with. Thank you so much! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version