We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Growing Daylilies from Seed  (Read 5891 times)

Guff

• USA New York
Re: Growing Daylilies from Seed
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2023, 03:51:21 AM »
I have been watching seed auctions that I may be interested in. Once I see a couple names bid, there is no point. They just keep bidding, until they get the win.

Probably won't buy anymore seeds unless it's something with blue eye and no one bids. Seems those striped and shark teeth are the ones that get bid up. Which is fine, not really interested. Only reason I have ForestLake Ragamuffin was for Halloween Theme daylilies. Figured that peach orange color would work well with orange and black crosses and make some spikes.

So far, I started both packs of DESIRE OF NATIONS X Every Knee Shall Bow. One seed germinated after one week,  just stuck them back in the fridge. Will try again Friday.

Power Made perfect x Ruler Of Nations have four that have germinated after one week. I also stuck the other two seeds back in the fridge.

Jeffnz

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2023, 04:39:21 AM »
Looking forward to seeing what the flowers are like, impressive parents.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2023, 03:49:23 PM »
Mostly interested in the DESIRE OF NATIONS X Every Knee Shall Bow cross. Hopefully more germinate, three of the seeds weren't any good after soaking. The rest are plump and hard. I'm hoping with the cold chill, they will germinate. Even with my own fresh seed, I had to do this with some of the seeds.

Mix I'm using this time

Screened leaf compost 6 parts

Sand 3 parts

Miracle Gro 6 parts
Miracle grow is mostly made of peat with small pieces of bark and sticks mixed in. Some perlite, and round pellet type fertilizer. Not the best, but good enough for daylilies.

All mixed together
When filling your container, do not push and compact. It will not drain well when you go to add water. If the soil level drops too much, add more of the mix and water in again. Water will pour right through

I do sterilize the leaf compost and sand mix in an old microwave.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 04:09:30 PM by Guff »

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2023, 04:03:46 PM »
Have green tips. I did sprinkle sand on top, to keep green junk from growing.

I also had a big problem with fungus gnats. They loved that Miracle Gro soil. Have no idea where they came from. probably right out of the Miracle Gro bag. Hopefully I have gotten rid of all them. Put up some of those sticky roll tape things. Putting the daylily seedlings outside took care of most of them. What they do is lay eggs in the soil, and it's never ending cycle.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2023, 08:20:51 PM »
Making some progress.

All of the Power Made Perfect x Ruler Of Nations germinated. So far I have 6 of the Desire Of Nations  X Every Knee Shall Bow. Started the other 3 crosses as well.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2023, 09:42:03 PM »
Never seen this before, two growth tips from one seed

Desire Of Nations x Every Knee Shall Bow seedling.

Power Made Perfect x Ruler Of Nations. Already starting on it's fourth leaf.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 09:45:56 PM by Guff »

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2023, 05:52:24 PM »
Wow.
This echo's the prices paid for special galanthus bulbs.

Much worse.  At least you know exactly what you are receiving when you pay for a galanthus bulb. 
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2023, 08:27:52 PM »
Parents of that cross sold last year at auction(Redefinable x Starman). The prices have dropped to around $500-$800 each.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 08:30:12 PM by Guff »

Jeffnz

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2023, 10:23:33 PM »
I am obviously in the wrong business.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2023, 09:12:05 PM »
Last seed purchase for me for this year., Might invest again next Fall depending how my attempt to have flowers by Summer 2024 goes.

Blue Jean Cutoffs X Every Knee Shall Bow

https://www.daylily.com/auctphotos8/1692836465.jpg

https://www.daylily.com/auctphotos8/1692836476.jpg

Plan is to cross the best seedlings from the Every Knee Shall Bow crosses that flower, or hopefully my blue eyed seedling flowers Summer 2024

Every Knee Shall Bow
https://youtu.be/rDTS_WnqVaE?t=26

Blue Jean Cutoffs
https://youtu.be/HatYO0p5GG4?t=10
https://youtu.be/38tAz_CL8vQ?t=313
https://youtu.be/0vRv7TConSM?t=200
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 01:27:03 PM by Guff »

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2023, 10:23:45 PM »
Blue Jean Cutoffs X Every Knee Shall Bow seeds arrived. Have them soaking

Making some progress. They are being grown at 25% power. Will be doing some rearranging and the lights will be hung from the celing. The cabinet will be flipped and the back will now be the base to place the daylilies. Won't have to cut back any of the leaves being to close to the LED light come Winter.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2023, 10:37:14 PM »
Received 8 seeds, so I did stay at my $3 per seed limit. The one bidder that I didn't want bidding on this auction started bidding. Well, not this time..............

Some context, this person(bidder), bids and bids and bids and usually always ends up winning.
Same bidder that paid $53 per seed
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 10:41:06 PM by Guff »

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2023, 01:04:48 AM »
Do you know anything about the person who pays a lot?  What country do they live in?
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2023, 01:34:08 AM »
Nope, know nothing about this person. All i know from watching auctions for the past couple months, this person bids on almost everything that is listed and bids it up.

And what I don't get, this person doesn't sell, just buys. With all the plants and seed this person has bought, how do you still buy unbloomed seedlings at $300 a pop. One would think you would make your own seed. How many plants does one person need?

The handful of seed I bought, I could work with just those for the rest of my life. I just don't get how this person spends all this money on plants, unbloomed seedlings and seed and it's still not enough.

I should add, people can spend what they want and how much they want... it's their choice

What I don't like and I get it's an auction......but how greedy does one person have to be. I don't know if greedy is even the right word. Bottom line, I just don't get it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:28:38 AM by Guff »

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2023, 02:35:09 AM »
Maybe "obsessed"?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal