We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Growing Daylilies from Seed  (Read 5733 times)

Guff

• USA New York
Growing Daylilies from Seed
« on: December 16, 2022, 04:54:58 AM »
Thought I would share how I germinate Daylily seeds.

After collecting the seeds from the pods, they are then let to air dry for 4-5 days.  They are then placed into the fridge, (I use small plastic seed packets and label with a pen marker). They seem to germinate better with 2-4 weeks cold chill. They will germinate without a cold chill, but usually only a few seeds germinate, then you need to stick them into the fridge for a week or two and try again.

Using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, I take the cap off the bottle and fill the cap, then pour the cap of Peroxide into a cup/glass. Filling the cup/glass up with 8-10 oz of water, and drop the seeds in. They usually will float and germinate, some drop to the bottom after 4-5 days. I change out the water and Peroxide solution every couple of days in the cups. The Peroxide helps the seeds germinate and also keep the seeds floating. You need to check your cups every day and remove the seeds that have germinated(I use a spoon).

Not all the seeds germinate at the same time, so I count out how many seeds I have of each cross and make holes into my soil mix. As the seeds germinate I place the root down into each hole with the seed at the surface. After 4-5 or so days they will put up a leaf.

They are growing under a ViparSpectra XS1000 and so far the are looking very healthy, using only 20 watts of the 120.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 01:21:17 AM by Guff »

Guff

• USA New York
Re: Growing Daylilies from Seed
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 05:36:54 AM »
Years ago, I had invested in Daylilies and was mostly interested in blue eyes.

Some seedlings.

Jeffnz

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 08:25:18 PM »
All keepers, assume all tetraploids?

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 01:03:33 AM »
Yes all Tet's

Most happy about this cross, only had one pod take and around 10 seeds.

My blue eyed seedling x Precious Candy

Precious Candy

« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 01:17:10 AM by Guff »

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 11:17:36 PM »
I'm going to add this to my collection. Think the photo has been doctored, but I'm more interested in the shape and edge. Kinda disappointing when you buy a daylily and it doesn't even come close to what they show when it flowers.....

LEGACY OF LEGENDS

https://www.nicolesdaylilies.com/spring-2015/tetraploid-collection/product/126-legacy-of-legends

https://garden.org/plants/photo/362873/

I have one that is like the above plant already, and that isn't blue either it's purple. I have pictures that I had taken, but would take to long to find on the cd's.

Bluegrass Music

https://garden.org/plants/photo/185586/

Jeffnz

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 11:51:09 PM »
I would use the phrase 'blue is in the eye of the beholder'. My analogy is description of dark purple flower color as black.
Irrespective of the color still a great looking day lily, enhanced by the edge frill.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 12:30:25 AM »
Thats why I won't buy newer daylilies. I wait untill they come down in price.

Bella Sera and Tet Lavender Blue Baby, I did pay $50 each for those years ago. Bella Sera, you can get for around $15, $25-30 for Tet Lavender Blue Baby today.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 07:16:26 PM »
Making some progress, still have another 5 crosses to germinate(around 40 seeds).

Jeffnz

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 08:16:18 PM »
Success, how long does it take for seedlings to flower?

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 03:19:20 AM »
I don't have any full sun areas, so 3-5 years for me. Down South 9 months to a year to flower.

I suppose, If I started seeds sooner and put each seed into a their own 16oz cup it would be alot faster. They are growing fast under the Led light. Made up a batch of Bat fetilizer and Bio Ful-Power the other day for their first feeding. Next feeding I'm going to add in some Roots HPK.
I'm limited with light space, maybe next year I will invest in more Led lights.

Auction site for Daylily plants and seed if anyone is interested. Some are rather steep in price. .......

https://daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 03:22:32 AM by Guff »

MarcR

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 08:00:20 AM »
Thank you, Guff, for a very interesting and helpful thread.

Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 10:37:49 PM »
Marc, thanks.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 07:23:30 PM »
Decided to cut back some of the leaves, seedlings in the middle weren't getting enough light. I have the led light at 35% and can't turn it up more until all the seedlings are big enough. Have 6 more seeds still to germinate and both bins will be filled.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2023, 12:29:16 AM »
Both bins filled, 135ish or so seedlings. Have the light at 70%, may try 100% end of the month. LED light being on 24/7, thinking 100% might be too much.

I have two crosses left(not enough room) will be starting those come May, and put into single 16oz or 20oz cups to see how big I can get them and plant out in the Fall.

The way the seedlings are growing under the LED, I think starting seeds in September(single cups), then planting out in May(8 months under lights), I think some would flower that same Summer.

ArnoldT

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2023, 03:00:32 AM »
Hi Guff

I'm in N. New Jersey and I ahae my LEDs on 7 AM to 6 PM in the greenhouse.  Grow mostly SA bulbs.

Since I added the lights during  our  minimal daylight, this time of year  the response has been great.  Ferraria's have flowered for the first time.  I believe plants need a period of dark to complete their normal metabolic cycle.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal