We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2008, Southern Hemisphere  (Read 10634 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: June 2008, Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 09:27:54 AM »
Luit,

Well they definitely have had colder than -6.6'C here in my garden, although not the last year or two.  At least -8 or -9'C with no damage AT ALL, in fact I have never seen winter damage even to the flowers, let alone anything close to actually killing any leaves.  It would need to be a good few degrees colder than they get here to do much damage I would imagine.  So often many of the plants classified as surviving only a few degrees of frost will do better providing you give them the right spot.  And mine aren't protected at all where they are, so it isn't like there is heavy tree cover or anything like that.

So how cold do you actually get in winter?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 04:26:28 PM »
Paul, temps will get down to - 15 or -20 C in some winters.
When you have bad luck, plants will die when it suddenly starts freezing after a very wet period .
This happens mostly before January.
Then we often have weeks with 10 to 15 C during the first months of the year,
suddenly changing to -10 to - 15 C. with strong N. E.  winds.
So my experience is that when plants are doubtfully hardy, I better don't plant them.
Though sometimes it's difficult to resist and I try something. (like most gardeners do)  ;D
These Clematis would maybe do at a south west wall here near the coast, but
everything I tried there was blown away by the gales. I live in the middle of open fields.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2008, 05:57:33 PM »
Thank you everyone. Most interesting to see what is flowering in the gardens in the south this time of year. Many wonderful plants that I never saw before  :)
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2008, 12:29:51 AM »
Luit,

OK, -15 to -20'C is a tad colder than here! ;)  I didn't realise you got that cold where you were.  You're still welcome to some seed if you want to give them a go anyway.  Just let me know. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 01:22:43 AM »
Hi Paul,
I like the winter clematis too but haven't established them here yet. We had Clematis napaulensis (a stupid spelling but that's the way it's supposed to be) in a garden in Boronia and it seeded itself everywhere; I'm on to my third one here and I hope I can get this one going! I've never had seedlings off the C. cirrhosa, so you're doing much better on that front.
The galanthus only started last week for us, with G.elwesii in the Rock Garden
74153-0
You can see by the dead foliage around them that they grow with dwarf bearded iris and euphorbias, so definately not a shaded spot!
The next to flower was G.elwesii "Green Outer tips" from Otto last year and this one is in a shadier spot on the South side of the house.
74155-1
Back in the sun, this is a very late or a very early flowering on a shrubby hebe, "Oratio Beauty".
74157-2
For a bit of fun I bought this primula acaulis variety from a street stall; it has rather unusual pencilled petals. Is this a new trend?
74159-3
I wonder if I can get this one to survive through our dry summers?
74161-4
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 01:27:25 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 07:12:26 AM »
Fermi,

I've seen it spelt nepalensis, napalensis and napaulensis and even spelt differently in different books, so I gave up trying to work out what it "should" be. ::)  I thought i had worked out that napalensis was the most common I found, which was why I had it spelt that way in mind, but now I realise that I've spelt it nepalensis over the rest of this topic.  :o

I find that the really exotic acaulis like that don't tend ta last except in large pots.  In the ground they tend to fade away during summer, but in pots they can survive quite happily even in quite a lot of sun.  Good luck.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 07:49:45 AM »
Thanks, Paul,
I may try it in a big pot with a citrus tree or something like that.
BTW you haven't answered my PM about visiting in September; we could have another Forumists re-union with Tim, Otto and Lesley!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 08:29:10 AM »
Fermi,

I had mine in a large tub with a half dozen Lilium 'Casablanca' last season where they did rather well.

I've rectified the oversight re your email..... a response should be in your intray by now!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 09:28:17 PM »
I've had a vigorous plant of Clematis napaulensis (?) for about 7 or 8 years but I've never had a single flower! What is wrong with it - or me? :'(

Some snow here today. Predicted temp 6C but Wanaka and Q'town are to have just 3!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2008, 09:43:14 PM »
Temps down to 1 degree yesterday here ...... and to think that Ann and Bill are coming across to the UK to enjoy summer! ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2008, 11:47:44 PM »
Lesley,

Do you prune it?  If so, what time of year?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 01:23:56 AM »
I've had a vigorous plant of Clematis napaulensis (?) for about 7 or 8 years but I've never had a single flower! What is wrong with it - or me?

Might be simply the variation in seed-grown plants Lesley. I've got two, bought at the same time. One has only just started flowering after 6/7 years. The other flowers (and self-seeds) almost to excess.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 06:41:05 AM »
I find that seedlings do take a while to get to flowering size, but usually around the 4 years in my garden at least.  Bear in mind that this Clematis comes straight out of dormancy into flower, so if you're trimming when it looks ratty you're cutting the flowers off.  I trim mine as the flower finish, leaving some of the long shoots that are already established by then in place.  There are new shoots after I trim it, but the more fresh growth the more flowers the following autumn/winter.  You probably already knew all that though, Lesley.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2008, 09:15:19 PM »
I haven't ever pruned mine. When I said vigorous, I didn't mean rampant, I really just meant healthy and green. I don't think it loses its leaves at any time, though I'm not going out to look just now, with snow on the ground and still half dark.

I bought it from a small local nursery and it was, I understand, grown from the owner's own seed. Hers flowers well. It's planted on the shady side of a shadecloth fence but grows up to the top (6ft) into sun.

Other Asian clematis do well here. I have a truly rampant plant of C. orientalis L & S 13342, the only one in New Zealand. It has many thousands of flowers and beautiful, large silky seed heads, but - thank God - no fertile seed. (I think C. orientalis is C. somethingelse now. :))
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 09:20:03 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2008, 10:18:29 PM »
I don't think it loses its leaves at any time

I know Stephen Ryan says that this one loses it's leaves in summer - but mine haven't until this last year. Since the temperature spiked into the high 30's this summer (high enough for long enough to affect the Darlingtonias which have otherwise needed no cooling), I'd assumed that was the cause. Do others have a different experience?
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal