We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Mosses, Lichens, Liverworts etc: under-recorded groups  (Read 46125 times)

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
Re: Mosses, Lichens, Liverworts etc: under-recorded groups
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2015, 03:06:41 AM »
A white barked tree trunk?  No!
It's a Sugar maple completely covered by a crustose type lichen. 

And it seems that that same crustose lichen is covering a foliose lichen in the lower left?
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2015, 09:31:15 PM »
The autumn colours are surreal this year, time to pause and enjoy this little pub scene.... Pixie Cups.

john
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 01:29:08 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2015, 09:28:57 AM »
............................enjoy this little pub scene....
john

I couldn't see a single pint? :P ::) ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2015, 08:03:21 PM »
I couldn't see a single pint? :P ::) ;D

Took the pic on my way OUT the door.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

ian mcdonald

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2015, 10:43:56 PM »
img 1000602 sphagnum fuscum?

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2015, 02:04:12 AM »
Selaginella rupestris, wild in western Minnesota, USA.
Selaginella tamariscina, in a garden in northern Wisconsin, USA.  Zone 3, heavy natural snow cover.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:48:10 AM by Rick R. »
Rick Rodich

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2015, 08:20:15 PM »
Found this interesting 'moss-on-the rock' in the woods, besides many other mosses at this time of year. It wasn't easy to find at least the genus, seems that it may be an Orthotrichum? First time I've seen it, or maybe I didn't pay enough attention...
509696-0

509698-1
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2015, 03:04:12 AM »
What an excellent forum topic!  When the flowers are out of bloom, these groups still provide tons of interest and I always enjoy seeing them.

I thought these were liverworts but it seems they are actually lichens, possibly Peltigera aphthosa.  This type of lichen is common in the woods out here and I see similar-looking ones that are either green or grey. The book I have (Mosses, Lichens and Ferns of Northwest North America; Vitt, Marsh and Bovey) says that this species is bright green when moist and dull grey-green when dry, so maybe that explains it?  However, grey and green ones are often interspersed on the forest floor so I'm not sure - perhaps I'm actually seeing different species?
Photo from Nov. 7/15 in Banff N.P.:
509706-0

More lichens... Rhizocarpon geographicum, I think, and others on a quartzite outcrop in the mountains:
509708-1
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2015, 03:09:06 AM »
Lichen, Letharia sp., on an alpine larch branch in the understory of grouseberry (? - Vaccinium scoparium) and crowberry in September:
509710-0
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Gabriela

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2015, 01:33:33 PM »
What an excellent forum topic!  When the flowers are out of bloom, these groups still provide tons of interest and I always enjoy seeing them.

Aren't they great for those 'no-snow' short periods? Hope to establish more in the garden too.
Another one looking like a green puppy sleeping in the leaves; it was nice to stroke its 'fur'  :)
509764-0
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2015, 06:41:31 PM »
My friend, Mike Heim, is a botany professor at a local college in northern Wisconsin, USA.  He conducts field trips in wild Wisconsin.  Some have been video recorded, and he is very knowledgeable with the local flora, fauna, geology and ecosystems.  Lichens, mosses and fungi always pop up in his forays, and some of you might be interested.

http://www.apg-wi.com/sawyer_county_record/news/video-bog-walk-with-michael-heim/youtube_8e464456-6855-11e5-80bf-eb707eb9b474.html

http://www.apg-wi.com/sawyer_county_record/news/local/video-michael-heim-leads-field-trip-to-brunsweiler-canyon-penokee/youtube_ebdf6702-80e0-11e5-97b1-d7289f985e4d.html

And more here:
http://www.apg-wi.com/search/?f=&q=michael+heim&d1=&d2=&s=start_time&sd=desc&l=10&t=&nsa=eedition
Rick Rodich

Gabriela

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2016, 07:59:44 PM »
Out in the woods yesterday so I can renew this thread:
Trametes versicolor - Turkey Tail

Sarcoscypha occidentalis - Scarlet pixie cup (S. coccinea is not that small but I may be wrong)

Lichen and a rock moss I don't know yet; I like it the way it grows on rocks:
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Chris Johnson

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2016, 08:05:55 AM »
Good to see your woodland species, Gabriela, especially living in a treeless area.

The Sarcoscypha occidentalis is immature, it will open to expose a completely red surface. As a North American Continent species, I cannot comment further.
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Gabriela

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2016, 07:24:08 PM »
Good to see your woodland species, Gabriela, especially living in a treeless area.
The Sarcoscypha occidentalis is immature, it will open to expose a completely red surface. As a North American Continent species, I cannot comment further.

That must be tough to live in a treeless region. Unfortunately, there was only a thin stick with three bodies attached, maybe I will find more in the spring - I hope.
I've seen on the web great pictures with scarlet cups among snowdrops flowering and I am thinking that they would also make a nice scenery with our Dicentra cuccularia.
Did you know they are edible?
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Chris Johnson

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2016, 09:09:44 AM »
That must be tough to live in a treeless region. Unfortunately, there was only a thin stick with three bodies attached, maybe I will find more in the spring - I hope.
I've seen on the web great pictures with scarlet cups among snowdrops flowering and I am thinking that they would also make a nice scenery with our Dicentra cuccularia.
Did you know they are edible?

I do miss trees but a price worth paying to live in such a beautiful area. I live right on the coast overlooking the Atlantic and part of the charm is the vast open landscape. We have thin soil overlying sand, coupled with ferocious winter gales, so wouldn't support tree growth. The east side of the island is peat moorland where trees would grow with sufficient protection from deer.

Many fungi are edible but not many, in my opinion, are worth bothering with as they are largely tasteless or even unpleasant. Bearing in mind that the world mycota is estimated as 6-10 times that of the flora (and probably even more than that) there is ample room for mistakes. A large number of 'poisonous' fungi will only give to a bad stomach but some with destroy your nervous system, and a few with kill you. :o
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal