We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Allium 2012  (Read 41646 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Allium 2012
« Reply #180 on: October 07, 2012, 09:19:05 PM »
I think I'm getting hooked on Alliums especially those flowering now. I bought one at Harrogate autumn show that is still in tight bud. It's so small it would get lost in my garden.

I potted up A. wallichii, a gift from Anne Wright, and was happy to see lots of new roots.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2012, 09:46:28 PM »
The one in tight bud is A. splendens kurilense which Google / Rare Plants says is the same as A. thunbergii
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #182 on: October 07, 2012, 10:29:22 PM »
Mark, this is the same plant, shown by forumist MartinR.  I didn't think it was A virgunculae as I thought that to be a much shorter plant.  I am growing a very similar plant to Martin's, mine is labelled A daghestanicum, interesting mine came from NARGS seed sown in 2001.  Thanks for your help in identifying it.

Diane, when we corresponded I forgot to address the "daghestanicum" issue.  Allium daghestanicum grows like a fine open grass of firm, thread-thin leaves that splay into a low arching mound, then in summer small, loose open sprays of very pale pink flowers, on stems that similarly arch over in graceful manner.  If it is blooming now, even with Europes cool and delayed 2012 season, if it is blooming now, I don't think it's daghestanicum.  Do you have a photo of your plant labeled as daghestanicum?
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #183 on: October 07, 2012, 10:32:35 PM »
The one in tight bud is A. splendens kurilense which Google / Rare Plants says is the same as A. thunbergii

Mark, getting hooked on onions eh?  ;)  They can certainly spice up your life ;D

The name A. splendens kurilense doesn't exist, well, except in horticulture as an invalid combination.  Plants going around under that name are usually A. thunbergii or virgunculae. The name "splendens kurilense" should be adandoned as it has no meaning.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:17:51 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #184 on: October 07, 2012, 11:13:28 PM »
Diane, when we corresponded I forgot to address the "daghestanicum" issue.  Allium daghestanicum grows like a fine open grass of firm, thread-thin leaves that splay into a low arching mound, then in summer small, loose open sprays of very pale pink flowers, on stems that similarly arch over in graceful manner.  If it is blooming now, even with Europes cool and delayed 2012 season, if it is blooming now, I don't think it's daghestanicum.  Do you have a photo of your plant labeled as daghestanicum?

It's sort of going over now, so was at its best flowering in mid September.  I don't think there is anything about it that arches, it's quite upright, very similar to Martin's plant.  I'll try and take a picture tomorrow.
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
Here's the first flowers on Allium drummondii which I got as seed from Kurt Vickery in 2009 (sown May 2010) as A. nuttallii which Mark McD pointed out was a synonym. Actually 2 flower spikes came up in the pot labelled A. drummondii and one came up in the pot labelled A. rosenbachianum! But I think it was just a stray seed as there is another type of foliage in the pot. I hope so anyway!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Martinr

« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2012, 09:24:29 AM »
A close up of the disputed Allium virgunculae. I exhibited it at Autumn South with a question mark on the name and no one present was able to come up with a better idea. Almost all of the pink hue seems to come from the stamens. Whatever the name it is a pretty thing, the flower power being enhanced by umbels of flowers sprouting half way up some stems as well as at the tip.

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #187 on: October 21, 2012, 09:20:27 PM »

Stephen, as to your small, late-blooming white-in-bud Allium, please show us what it looks like in flower.

This one never really emerged into flower and is unlikely to now. These are the best pictures I got:
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #188 on: October 24, 2012, 11:43:46 AM »
This picture of Allium rupestre was taken on 1st September. The cool weather has meant that it didn't emerge much further than this.....
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »
Mark, getting hooked on onions eh?  ;)  They can certainly spice up your life ;D

McMark,

Either spice it up, or bring tears to your eyes.  :P

Martin,

That Allium virgunculae is lovely.  Delicate colour and shape to it.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »
Allium virgunculae 'Hirado White' is an albino and dwarf selection from a wild population in Hirado island. Its pot diameter is 9cm.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:29:16 PM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2012, 09:48:11 AM »
Allium virgunculae 'Hirado White' is a albino and dwarf selection from a wild population in Hirado island. Its pot diameter is 9cm.
What an attractive plant -  presents  itself well in  a pot, doesn't it?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2012, 12:11:02 PM »
Allium virgunculae 'Hirado White' is a albino and dwarf selection from a wild population in Hirado island. Its pot diameter is 9cm.

Very beautiful, Tatsuo!
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

TheOnionMan

« Reply #193 on: November 12, 2012, 12:36:51 PM »
Tatsuo, that's a little gem!  I once grew a similar looking dwarf white form which I got from Kazuo Mori back in the 1980s, although sadly I no longer have it.

Two years ago I bought a purple-rose form of Allium virgunculae at a general garden center, it remains dwarf, growing less than 10 cm tall.  This photo in my garden as taken on 10-19-2012.  It is now starting to set seed capsules.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2012, 02:22:59 PM »
Thank you all :) My 'Hirado White' plants stay in that small pot 2 years and still look good.

Mark, your beautiful little allium looks like A. virgunculae var. kiiense by their slightly pendurous flowers. But I cannot say 100% sure that these alliums cross and produce seeds freely as you know ;)
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal