General Subjects > Blogs and Diaries

Robert's and Jasmin's Garden Paradise

(1/12) > >>

Robert:
In Northern California, the pattern of unsettled and rainy weather with much below average temperatures is continuing into December. As I write, strong winds and rain are pummeling our garden. [Jasmin]:  The rain and chilling hours are very much welcome—it is like in ‘olden times’—however, the blustery winds leave much to be desired:  When the large limbs of our neighbors’ large and neglected Sycamore tree sway vigorously, I am nervous and pray we and our household will be alright.

Between storms I had an opportunity to photograph a few plants in their autumn prime. Acer rubescens ‘Silver Cardinal’ was looking particularly nice. This species gets a bit too large for our small garden, however I have been using Niwaki techniques to groom and shape the tree to fit properly to the scale of our garden. Year after year, this tree is slowly taking shape. Eventually, I hope to develop the structure and branching pattern so that the winter silhouette takes on a dramatic character.

In our garden the leaves of Acer rubescens ‘Silver Cardinal’ turn an intense golden yellow during the autumn – providing we actually get cool autumn weather, more of a rarity these days. During the summer months the leaves show a creamy white variegation. For me the variegation does not add much – I find the non-variegated deep green leaves very pleasing.  [Jasmin]:  I love this tree:  the shapely foliage with subtle white markings, the bright crimson new branches, and the striated bark.

The creamy striated bark of this species is very attractive. This is my last remaining “Striped Bark Maple”. At one time I had a number of different Striped Bark Maple species growing at our Placerville property. Persistent drought and the scarcity of irrigation water have taken its toll on the garden in Placerville. Most of the mature plants in the Placerville ornamental garden are now gone without a trace.  [Jasmin]:  The largest garden area of ornamentals there is completely gone.  Although it is just how it is, and now is a blank slate for other possibilities that are more appropriate to our climate now, I still am adjusting to the change.  It takes me longer, since I rarely go up there now, and the garden that was held many fond memories and dreams—I always viewed the garden from our windows there.  Loss of the garden really represents other losses, making my rare visits there feel alien and hostile, that I am just a stranger not welcome.  This is a sorrow for my meditations and contemplations, to heal.

Our garden in Sacramento is much smaller than the ornamental garden in Placerville, a bit less than one-quarter acre. For me this is the perfect size, as I prefer to focus my attention on accentuating the details.

Pictured above is the newly emerging foliage of one of my new Ranunculus occidentalis hybrids. Ranunculus occidentalis var. occidentalis is not tolerant of moist soil conditions during its dormant summer rest, however these hybrids are quite tolerant of summer moisture. We have a number of local California native Ranunculus species, so there are many creative breeding possibilities.

I sowed about 25 different species to seed pans this autumn. The majority are miniature Narcissus hybrids, however I have a keen interest in a number of our local California native species. The seed of Lupinus polyphyllus var. burkei have already started to germinate and grow despite the freezing temperatures at night. This is a high elevation species in the Sierra Nevada Mountains and I often find them germinating in the mountains when freezing nighttime temperatures are still common. Getting this species established in our garden might be very challenging. We have experienced 110 to 115 F (43.3 to 46.1 C) temperatures each summer for the last two years. Before this, 110 F temperatures occurred once every 30 years. The impacts of climate change have been brutal in our part of Northern California creating many gardening challenges, however I enjoy turning the adversity into assets.

Robert:

I also enjoy cultivating our local California native Viola species. Pictured is Viola macloskeyi as seen in the Sierra Nevada Mountains this past August. This species is common and widespread throughout North America – maybe beyond. Common or rare is irrelevant in my approach to gardening; if I like a plant and it fits well with my scheme I grow it.

Salvia semiatrata is a winter flowering Salvia species that thrives in our garden. I enjoy the texture of the foliage of this species and, of course, the flowers are a delight to see in the wintertime. Currently, our specimen is taking a pause in its blooming cycle due to the cold weather. We also grow other winter blooming Salvia species. They too are taking a pause in their blooming cycle.

ian mcdonald:
A shame that many of the plants you knew and cherished have gone. A time of sadness can also be a time of opportunity. Maybe you can both plan for other species that are more capable of withstanding changes. Best wishes for the future.

Diane Whitehead:
I did not know about winter flowering salvias.  I will try some, as our Anna's hummingbirds will be appreciative.

Robert:
Hi Ian,

I already have plans for the Placerville property and have already started to implement them. In the past, part of the property was a working farm. I have already started to bring some of the fallowed land back into production. The general idea is to create a mostly closed system, sustainable, subsistence agricultural system, different, but much like the ideas expressed by the folk at Ecology Action in Willits, California. The plan is to feed my brother, Jasmin, myself.

The remaining land is now part of a habitat restoration project. The plan is to recreate a functioning ecosystem that resembles the original Native Blue Oak, Bunch Grass Savannah. Based on some of the native plants that have already recolonized the property some areas will likely become a sub-system chaparral ecosystem. Our hope is that this restoration project will also provide habitat for the native and transit wildlife. For example, our native and migratory bird populations have been decimated by human activities. I have not seen a Cedar Waxwing in decades. 50 years ago every winter I encounters hundreds of Waxwings. Bullock’s Orioles and Western Tanagers were once common springtime visitors. Now I rarely see them. There is a lot of work to be done; however it is also very exciting and meaningful.

Hi Diane,

Salvia chiapensis, S. gesneriiflora, and S. semiatrata are some of the winter blooming Salvia species that we grow in our Sacramento garden. I do not think that these species would be cold hardy for you in Victoria, B.C. ??? Our Placerville property is colder during the winter than our Sacramento garden site. I conducted trials with many Meso-American – South American Salvia species in Placerville over many years. I was rarely, more like never, successful bringing unprotected plants through the winter months – I always kept backup plants in a greenhouse. Maybe there are other cold hardy Salvia species that will bloom all winter in Victoria. I do not know. I am certainly not a Salvia expert. If you have outdoor success with winter blooming Salvia species, many others, and I would like to know the results. Keep us informed.

In our part of California our resident Anna’s Hummingbirds feed on Manzanita nectar during the winter months. Our local California native Arctostaphylos viscida ssp. viscida can start blooming as early December. Plants can be found blooming into March, when many other plant nectar sources start to bloom. My understanding is that Arctostaphylos columbiana is native to your area. Might this native species be a good source of nectar for your resident Anna’s Hummingbirds? This might be an idea worth looking into.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version