We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Work in progress  (Read 2492 times)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
Work in progress
« on: April 24, 2007, 11:08:53 AM »
A few pics of a new crevice bed completed outside the Alpine House last weekend.

The reasons for the building activity were two fold--

One --for some time i haven't been happy at how the crevices in the A/H end at height abruptly upon reaching the wire mesh sides and felt continuing the rock outside would paint a more harmonious scene.
Two --running out of space to plant numerous germinated seed.

The new bed is small --some 3.5 metres in length--1.5 depth at one end --tapering to a point at the other.

While in the last pic it appears the distance between each row of rocks is very wide ,i did in fact place 2 ,(or in some instances 3 ),different sheets of rocks at a lower level within each new crevice.These are hidden just below the soil level.   

Aligning the new rock on the same plane as in the A/H achieves the indoor outdoor flow i was trying to capture.

Cheers Dave
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 11:30:30 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Paddy Tobin

Re: Work in progress
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 01:54:58 PM »
Dave,

Good use of what would otherwise be an awkward space with which you could do nothing.

May they all grow well and I look forward to photographs at a later stage.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 02:26:21 AM »

achieves the indoor outdoor flow i was trying to capture.

You're beginning to sound like a real estate agent Dave ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 11:37:22 AM »
Just back from 3 days in Christchurch at our oldest daughters graduation from Uni ceremony so catching up on an overflowing email inbox.

Received your Calostemma purpurea seeds? /bulblets  Fermi ,(via Lesley), so a big thank you both.Interesting that some had already germinated /shown growth -only wish all plants were like that :).

Paddy --could be awhile before any good flowering shots of the plot ---mainly consists of small bulbs ,(Crocus,Narcissus etc), that germinated about 6 months ago,(last spring), -(i'm experimenting again) ie. normally i'd keep the youngsters in their pots for the next season and go through the effort of thinning out /repotting later -- i'm keen to see how they cope with having been tipped straight out of the pots with minimal disturbance.

You're beginning to sound like a real estate agent Dave

Yes it does read a bit like that.

Hilda my wife,(very keen she was), and i recently went an open home to view a house in the vicinity on the market as a private sale.The advertised details had all the real estate goblygook :-\ so i guess that is how the phase came to hand.

Luckily in closer detail the property wasn't suitable so we've agreed to hold on to our current patch of paradise.

Cheers Dave

« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 03:02:11 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal