We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus 2010  (Read 65811 times)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Re: Narcissus 2010
« Reply #300 on: March 28, 2010, 05:47:20 PM »
1&2 N.cyclamineus showing at RBGE Alpine garden today.

and from the RCHS show today:

3. "Itzim"
4. "x minicycla"
5. "Little Beauty"
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Darren

« Reply #301 on: March 29, 2010, 08:19:10 PM »
I've used this clump of N cyclamineus as a parent of hybrids. Obviously a seed has escaped into the now mostly dead (thanks to this winter) Rhododendron keiskei 'Yaku Fairy'.

The other parent is probably asturiensis, jacetanus or one of their hybrids with cyclamineus backcrossed.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #302 on: March 29, 2010, 08:28:09 PM »
One (sadly just the one) hybrid as a result of my crossing N cantabricus and N triandrus three years ago.
They are both in flower again today (just) so I'll try for a few more.
N x susannae.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #303 on: March 29, 2010, 10:53:40 PM »
Very nice, Tony. Darren's cyclamineus seem to be beaming proudly at their offspring!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Brian Duncan

« Reply #304 on: March 29, 2010, 11:45:12 PM »
Gerry, thanks for that. It really is a struggle to ID most of the small Daffs perhaps it's time for a new monograph-any takers out there?
David,
Glad you raised this point. It's long past the time for a new Monograph - the RHS  is initiating an attempt to get such underway. The basic plans have been laid and already encouraging and very supportive consultations have taken place with Spanish botanists. It must be an international effort so there is much still to be done by way of consultation and co-operation with interested bodies. Funding will be the biggest problem in the current economic climate but this is being addressed. Amateur Societies will be asked to lend support in principle (and also some financial if possible) as this will aid the case being presented to potential funding sources. The Northern Ireland Daffodil Group has already committed a sum of £3,000 - a mere drip in the bucket, but as a very small society they are at least linking money to their keen support for the project.
Brian

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #305 on: March 30, 2010, 02:02:41 AM »
a seed has escaped into the now mostly dead (thanks to this winter) Rhododendron keiskei 'Yaku Fairy'.

Darren    - I hope you don't mind if I respond to the above statement.  'Yaku Fairy' is rock hardy here in coastal Nova Scotia and has never in 30 or more years been winter-damaged. The same can be said for all other keiskeis with one exception, that being the very tall form which is tender.  My suspicion is if the soil is damp or wet enough for N. cyclamineus it might be too moist for YF.  It loves a high peat bed, even a scree, here in full sun.  A quick move might be in order.

Best

johnw  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:05:16 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Darren

« Reply #306 on: March 30, 2010, 08:16:56 AM »
I don't mind at all John - thank you. It is in a raised peat bed in full sun, but might have been very wet at the root in winter due to our exceptionally wet november, also after 6 years the soil may be getting compacted. The reason I thought it was the cold was that the surviving portion is on the southwest side (sheltered from the cold northeast winds we got in Jan & feb). I will move it I think.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #307 on: March 30, 2010, 09:43:29 AM »
Gerry, thanks for that. It really is a struggle to ID most of the small Daffs perhaps it's time for a new monograph-any takers out there?
David,
Glad you raised this point. It's long past the time for a new Monograph - the RHS  is initiating an attempt to get such underway. The basic plans have been laid and already encouraging and very supportive consultations have taken place with Spanish botanists. It must be an international effort so there is much still to be done by way of consultation and co-operation with interested bodies. Funding will be the biggest problem in the current economic climate but this is being addressed. Amateur Societies will be asked to lend support in principle (and also some financial if possible) as this will aid the case being presented to potential funding sources. The Northern Ireland Daffodil Group has already committed a sum of £3,000 - a mere drip in the bucket, but as a very small society they are at least linking money to their keen support for the project.
Brian

Thank you for that Brian and I hope fund raising efforts are successful.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #308 on: March 30, 2010, 10:21:02 AM »
David,
Brian
An enterprising & welcome  project, though these are hardly the best of times in which to begin. I wish it every success.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #309 on: March 30, 2010, 01:40:01 PM »
I don't mind at all John - thank you. It is in a raised peat bed in full sun, but might have been very wet at the root in winter due to our exceptionally wet november, also after 6 years the soil may be getting compacted. The reason I thought it was the cold was that the surviving portion is on the southwest side (sheltered from the cold northeast winds we got in Jan & feb). I will move it I think.

Darren

You may be correct, perhaps there was root loss from the compaction on the side of the plant that got cold/wind zapped.   I think it is one of the best Rhododendron species.

johnw   
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #310 on: March 30, 2010, 03:12:27 PM »
I realise it is a diversion from Narcissus but I have two plants of Yaku Fairy and one is pristine and the other has been destroyed this winter by the weather.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Ray

« Reply #311 on: March 31, 2010, 09:34:01 AM »
Flowering for me now N viridiflora,seems to be a lot earlier than usual. bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #312 on: March 31, 2010, 09:44:26 AM »
Flowering for me now N viridiflora,seems to be a lot earlier than usual. bye Ray
Does it flower every year for you then Ray?
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Ray

« Reply #313 on: March 31, 2010, 10:22:15 AM »
Hi Gail,this species flowers every year for me,but doesn't multiply very quickly or set seed for me bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #314 on: March 31, 2010, 11:10:49 AM »
Ray that is stunning my seed has just germinated so cross fingers i might one day get to see such a lovely thing.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal