We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus 2010  (Read 65810 times)

Kees Green

Re: Narcissus 2010
« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2010, 07:44:54 AM »
I also really like Mite, you guys are making me check me narcissus beds to see if any thing popping up, today I can report the the first bulbododiums are indeed popping up. I have had a pot full up since Xmas but these are young seedlings-about2-3 years.
I also had a look at my bulbocodiums seedlings that were sown last year, they were up for 9 months and are quite a surprising size, infact some have split to 2 and 3 smaller bulbs-is this normal?
Keep up the great pics, I am so envious. Who would think that I would envy people that are still in Winter/spring when we still have mid 20 here most days  ;)
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

LucS

• Luc II
  • bulbs from seed
« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2010, 01:30:13 PM »
Today, I have a form of Narcissus tazetta in flower with a soft yellow (?)corolla  in stead of the usual white.
The flowers are on a stem not more than 15cm high.
Narcissus tazetta ssp. grandicrenatus
Luc Scheldeman
Torhout, Flanders, Belgium

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #197 on: March 14, 2010, 02:44:37 PM »
Wow that's gorgeous Luc  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2010, 03:16:20 PM »
For some reason for decades (different locations) the only Narcissus I had any luck with was N. romieuxii rifanus which I had from bulbs and seed. Not sure the original of this one, I think it was from seed so I am quite prepared to be told it is something else.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:20:13 PM by Mark Griffiths »
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2010, 07:33:07 PM »
Today, I have a form of Narcissus tazetta in flower with a soft yellow (?)corolla  in stead of the usual white.
The flowers are on a stem not more than 15cm high.
Narcissus tazetta ssp. grandicrenatus

David's confused (yet again!) Lovely flowers LucS but.......? I looked it up in the Kew Check List and didn't find it! Looked it up in the RHS Botanical Classification List and didn't find it! Then found it here after Googling http://www.rhs.org.uk/RHSWebsite/files/78/78c20a53-f093-4946-86a6-ebd964646409.pdf and it seems Narcissus tazetta ssp. grandicrenatus is a synonym for N. tazetta ssp. italicus..... or have things moved on again? ;D

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2010, 08:15:36 PM »
I think it's my night for being confused. At the beginning of the month I posted some pics of my Narcissus asturiensis (here they are again). What is confusing me is that when I compare mine with a pic George Young posted of a N. asturiensis exhibited at Blackpool Show (see the thread Blackpool Show 13 March 2010 and reply 36 in particular  http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5144.msg141838#msg141838  ) they don't particularly look like mine! No one commented when I first posted them but when I took them to our local AGS Group meeting one or two members thought they were a little large for N. asturiensis. I did look at Blanchard and took a few measurements and my plant appeared to fall within the measurements Blanchard gave for the species. Any comments please?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 09:01:27 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2010, 08:30:08 PM »
Narcissus cyclamineus

This form is from Susan Band (Pitcairn Alpines).
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #202 on: March 14, 2010, 09:04:52 PM »
David, the form shown from Blackpool does look very different.... it is very different.... but these plants,like so many other types, are hugely variable..... fret not Lad, you get bigg ones and little ones and thin ones and fat ones..... some my have a smidgeon of hybrid blood, some may just be chunky.... but they all vary!

Gerry, very cute little cyclamineus fron Susan ........another species that is almost endlessly variable, bless it!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Very nice Gerry.

Maggi, you bring calm to my tortured soul ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2010, 09:25:09 PM »
Thank goodness for that, David, I was worried I'd have to come down there and throw a bucket of cold water over you to calm you down!  Well, either that or share the Prozac.... !! :P

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #205 on: March 15, 2010, 11:40:48 AM »
Hi everyone - I'm back from my daffodil hunting trip on the AGS tour! Been busy watering/ photographing and pollinating my own plants since returning, but will subject you to my holiday photos when I've sorted them.
Meanwhile, here's a starter. (Scale Bear is 10cm high sitting down).
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #206 on: March 15, 2010, 11:50:28 AM »
Welcome home, Anne..... your smile in the photo tells us everything- you had a great time, we can see!

An exciting start with these asturiensis.....good idea to have "scale bear" .... lets us know the size and IDs the photos as being yours at the same time.... along the lines of Stellan's  "travel giraffe" :D

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #207 on: March 15, 2010, 12:40:10 PM »
So glad you enjoyed your trip Anne and can't wait to see your photos  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

LucS

• Luc II
  • bulbs from seed
« Reply #208 on: March 15, 2010, 01:54:49 PM »
David's confused (yet again!) Lovely flowers LucS but.......? I looked it up in the Kew Check List and didn't find it! Looked it up in the RHS Botanical Classification List and didn't find it! Then found it here after Googling http://www.rhs.org.uk/RHSWebsite/files/78/78c20a53-f093-4946-86a6-ebd964646409.pdf and it seems Narcissus tazetta ssp. grandicrenatus is a synonym for N. tazetta ssp. italicus..... or have things moved on again? ;D
David,
I have a pot of N. tazetta ssp italicus in the same sandbed and they look different to me.
The total hight for ssp. grandicrenatus is much lower and the flowering time is always earlier (ssp. italicus will flower in a few weeks I guess). I agree that the flowercolor in both ssp. is similar.

Luc Scheldeman
Torhout, Flanders, Belgium

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #209 on: March 15, 2010, 04:34:52 PM »
My narcisus are now starting to flower,the first two

Narcissus cantabricus ssp petuniodes  received from Alex
Narcissus hedreanthus first time flowering after many years of growing
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal