We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: What Ipheion?  (Read 10219 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: What Ipheion?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2008, 08:25:33 PM »
Diane, what a wonderful knowledge you have on these name changes.... I am impressed that you have such stamina to keep up with it all.... seed exchange duties urge you forward, I am sure. 8)

It's really through doing the seed exchange that I have taken an interest in the names and name changes.  OK, we probably don't agree with what the taxonomists do, but few of us really understand why they are doing it.  The most important thing is that we are consistent in our use of names, otherwise we have the same plant with 3 different names which leads to confusion!  It's the taxonomist's job to sort our which we "should" use, according to their rules.  But big changes of family/genus structure like Amaryllidaceae going into Alliaceae are another story and I suppose a lot is down to new ways of looking at relationships, by DNA analysis.   But it's still massively subjective.  

But from here one seed exchange compiler takes a rest from that job for a few months and might look for some shows to attend ...
and maybe some pub lunches and afternoon tea and cakes to enjoy there ...
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2008, 12:39:34 AM »
Tristigma uniflorum or Tristigma uniflora?

;D  ;D

It's TristagMA uniflorUM  (no one said it had to rhyme!)

;D  ;D

Greek MA ending which I understand is male or perhaps neuter, rather than Latin A, which is female. As in ArisaeMA candidissimUM or OnosMA nanUM
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 08:40:51 AM »
Some posts from this topic have been moved to a new thread in General Forum ,

"Vices, Daphnes and hybrid Lewisias....how's that for a thread? "

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1417.msg33938;boardseen#new
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2008, 06:24:35 PM »
Don't know just what's happening here. This and the last post (about Michaels Lewisias) are apparently going to the new topic but when I make a reply and post it, the old Ipheion topic still comes up, but without the posts. I suppse I'd better go right back to the Forum Index and access the new one from there.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2008, 06:31:32 PM »
Don't know why you are having this happen, Lesley.... your machine just likes to play tricks on you at times, I think.
This afternoon, while editing some photos, after about six pictures, all of a sudden each picture I clicked on to open came up already resized... without going to editor.... the machine was resizing the original file... very odd. Ian could not find why it had happened, but it was only in that folder and not elsewhere. I could still get the full size files from the camera card, as it happens, but it could have been a real pest. No idea how it started!  Blasted machine... its like a taxonomist, it can change its mind at a moment's notice. :P

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2008, 07:36:11 PM »
................Blasted machine... its like a taxonomist, it can change its mind at a moment's notice. :P

or a woman! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2008, 09:01:28 PM »
Now David, that's a most provocative comment and others may smack your fingers. I'm going to forward to you and Maggi an email which was sent to me this morning. It explains why, as a beer drinker, you should be VERY WORRIED.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2008, 07:19:39 AM »
Michael, dear, darling Michael... banished.... certainly not.... now there is all the more choclate for me! I wecolme you even more!

Maggi,

Given the hassling over spelling at the beginning of this thread..... one should be very careful with one's own spelling (see quote above), particularly when one has misspelt that which the world revolves around.... i.e Chocolate!!  :o

One of the humorous emails that is going around has the final line....

Save the World.  It's the only place that has Chocolate!!

Fine sentiment indeed!!  ;D  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »
Quite right, Paul, I must pay more attention.... chocolate, chocolate, choclate, chocolate... no, I'll have to stop this, it's making me peckish :-X

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal