General Subjects > Travel / Places to Visit

Istanbul - nurseries / botanic gardens - recommendations?

(1/1)

hwscot:
I'll be in Istanbul for a few weeks March / April. It's a working holiday so I won't have time to travel far afield, but if there are any nurseries within an hour or so of the city I'd love to visit. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Interested in small bulbs particularly. Don't expect to be able to bring anything back but would enjoy simply seeing plants, since quite a few genera should be in flower around that time.

I see there are several botanic gardens in the city, with Fidan and Kuzguncuk both easy to get to, Nezahat a little further out but reachable. Has anyone any recommendations? I can likely make time for two.

Thanks,
Harry

Maggi Young:
I only know of the Nezahat Gökyigit Memorial Park, Istanbul, from talks by  Dr. Adil Güner  and a couple of SRFGC folks who have visited there - it is certainly worth a visit, I'm sure.

FrazerHenderson:
Nezahat Gökyigit Memorial Park is your best bet. Well worth a visit with attractive beds, glades and, importantly, an extensive geophyte collection. Take the public ferry from Eminonu to Kadikoy and then the #91 bus - the bus station is near the ferry terminal. The bus stop for the gardens is about 200 metres beyond the gardens.

If you are in Istanbul in April then you'll be in time for the annual Tulip Festival (though other bulbous plants are on show). The most extensive plantings are at Emirgan Park to the north of the city (take metro to ITC station and then walk northwards for 20 min along the path next to the main road). Emirgan also houses the Istanbul Tulip Foundation.   The Foundation comprises two large exhibition rooms and a spacious foyer in which is located a small retail outlet. There are also offices and research facilities. One of the exhibition halls is ostensibly a museum presenting a well labelled retrospective of the history of tulips together with an informative and interesting display of Turkey’s cultural association with the flower. The interpretative panels are in Turkish and English and there are some truly beguiling objects with tulip motifs and associations. The museum gives you a good insight as to the extent that the appreciation of tulips informed the artistic and cultural life of the Ottomans. The other hall provides ever-changing art shows each focussing on certain aspects of tulips. The Tulip Festival is held throughput the city so all the other parks are turned over to tulips, hyacinths, scilla etc.

https://www.moganddogtravels.com/blogs/visit-the-istanbul-tulip-festival-istanbul-lale-festivali

hwscot:
Many thanks, both of you .. that sounds well worth a visit, both Nezahat Gökyigit and Emirgan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version