We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica Book by Andreas Händel  (Read 22535 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Hepatica Book by Andreas Händel
« on: December 21, 2013, 12:02:57 PM »
Andreas Händel- known on his website as Mr Hepatica, announces the publication next year of his hepatica book.  There is an offer to order now and save 6 euros.

"Dear friends,

seven years of work later and my book of Hepatica is finally done! In spring, just in time with the full bloom of my little darlings, you will be able to find everything worth knowing about Hepatica on 240 pages—currently only in German. And if that wasn't enough, the book is going to contain 95 of Josh Westrich's finest photo portraits of the most beautiful species. Further 320 photos show a multiplicity of the 250 registered (hardy) species as well as detail screens on propagation and suitable neighboring plants.
All of you, my friends and long-term customers, have the chance to receive the book for the special price of only 62,– €. Why not consider your friends for the perfect Christmas gift or simply treat yourself to something special?
Order now by email! The book will be delivered in February/March 2014.
I wish you all a wonderful Christmastime and a good start into a richly and beautifully blossoming year 2014.

Green greetings
–Mister Hepatica–
Andreas Händel  "

Liebe Pflanzenfreunde,

nach 7 Jahren Arbeit ist es geschafft: mein Hepatica-Buch ist endlich fertig! Im kommenden Frühjahr, zur Blütezeit meiner Lieblinge, finden Sie auf 240 Seiten alles, was man über Leberblümchen wissen muss. Dazu gibt es im Großformat 30 x 30 cm 97 Bildtafeln mit herrlichen Portraits der schönsten Sorten, fotografiert von Josh Westrich.
Weitere 320 Fotos zeigen eine Vielzahl der 250 registrierten (winterharten) Sorten sowie Detailfotos zur Vermehrung und geeigneten Nachbarpflanzen.
Allen meinen Stammkunden biete ich das Buch hiermit zum Vorzugspreis von 62,– €* an. Vielleicht auch als Weihnachtsgeschenk für gute Freunde?
Bestellen Sie jetzt per Mail! Lieferung im Februar/März 2014.
Ich wünsche euch/ Ihnen ein ruhiges, friedliches Weihnachtsfest und einen guten Start in ein blütenreiches Jahr 2014!
Grüne Grüße
–Mister Hepatica–
Andreas Händel

Thanks to Hans J. for letting us know of this book.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:05:04 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: Hepatica Book by Andreas Händel
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »
LOOKS WONDERFUL :D When can we expect an English translation my German only extends to beer or wine ::).
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

angie

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 05:29:57 PM »
LOOKS WONDERFUL :D When can we expect an English translation my German only extends to beer or wine ::).

I am half German and all I can say is hello and goodbye, so Shelagh you would do better than I would.  Should have listened to my mum when she tried to teach me German  ::)

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 01:29:07 AM »
Good timing! I was actually looking at his site a month ago and wondering if I could see a preview of the inside. I took German when I was in college but I've lost 99 percent of it. :-[
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Anne Repnow

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 03:03:19 PM »
Maybe of interest to Hepatica fans: Andreas Händel published a very nice article on new Hepatica selections and hybrids in the January 2014 issue of Germany's best gardening journal "Gartenpraxis". Apart from a number of beautiful photographs there is a list of new and very special selections of Hepatica which Händel considers to be the most exciting:

Hepatica nobilis var. nobilis (single): 'Blaue Elfe', 'Feuerkäfer', 'Fliederkind', Frühlingslied', 'Giselle', 'Indigo Blue Strain', 'Odette', 'Schneeballschlacht', 'Schneesturm JP', 'Tausendschön'

Hepatica nobilis var. nobilis (filled): 'Anderson's Dream', 'Maria Theresia' (extremely sought after since Christian Kress's mother plants were destroyed by a dredger... :-X), 'Marion', 'Rote Glut JP', 'Schwanensee', 'Sternenglanz', 'Supernova'

Hepatica transsylvanica: 'Blumenstadt Erfurt', 'Düvelsblau JP', 'Harvington Beauty', 'Melanie JP', 'Schwanensee', 'Sternenglanz', 'Supernova'

Hepatica x media: 'Avatar', 'Blaue Stunde', 'Blue Jewel', 'Mondsteinsonate'

Hepatica x euroasiatica: 'Gletscherschnee', 'Prof. Friedrich Hildebrandt', 'Rötgesbütteler Röschen'

Other Hybrids: 'Dark Star' (H. nobilis var. japonica x H. transsylvanica), 'Milstream Merlin' (H. acutiloba x H. transsylvanica), 'Pink Pearl' (H. yamatutai x H. transsylvanica)

including the name of the plant, its origin and a short description. Of course, Händel's own selections are rather prominent - but I think rightly so.
Anne Repnow gardening near Heidelberg in Germany
carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Susann

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 05:06:49 PM »
Mouth watering cover picture! But my German is even less extented than Angies. Will there be a Swedish version :)? If not, I could do with an English version. ARe there any plans about it,  Andreas?
Denmark´s "Mrs Hepatica", Gunhild Paulsen,  is coming to Sweden to give a talk in March, I am really looking forward to it, although she is much into the Japanese ones. Impossible to grow outdoor in my region.
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

Gunilla

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 09:55:20 PM »
I have ordered a copy. It's ages since I studied German so it will be a struggle to read, but Andreas book was too tempting to resist  :).
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Anne Repnow

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 10:01:26 AM »
Some good news for those of you who don't speak German: Händel's book will appear in English, too! I just talked to Andreas Händel on the phone and he says translation is in progress - John Massey of Ashwood Nurseries will read the proofs. However, it will probably take a couple years. Therefore, he will treat the English Edition as a 2nd edition to the German one and include new information.

Susann

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 05:17:34 PM »
Good news! I have no problem waiting. There are so many other interesting books to read meanwhile. I just ordered one about the high alpine ecology. And 2nd edition, it is even better...
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

Natalia

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 08:05:44 AM »
Thanks for the good news - we'll wait!
Natalia
Russia, Moscow region, zone 3
temperature:min -48C(1979);max +43(2010)

Anne Repnow

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 11:37:39 AM »
I received Andreas Händel's Hepatica book by mail today and just spent a couple of enjoyable hours with it. It is very large and doubles as an expert monograph as well as a coffee table book.

Händel's style of writing is very enjoyable as well as deeply informed. It is obvious: Hepaticas are his life and are in his thoughts even in his dreams. The book contains a wealth of information about liverworts, the contents covering chapters about:
- History of Hepatica cultivation (with lots of stories)
- Description
- Species and cultivars
- Cultivation and care
- Good and bad neighbours
- Propagation
- Breeding and breeders
- Diseases and pests
- Botany

The first and the last pages are portraits with large and very beautiful photographs of different cultivars.
Lovers of Japanese Hepaticas might feel that these are insufficiently covered, but then the sheer numbers here probably made it necessary to portray a selection.

My one and only criticism is the lack of legends, so you need to search the text in order to find an explanation.

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 01:11:28 PM »
That's made the wait for the english 2nd edition so much harder!

Lovely illustrations, though. Can't vouch for the text. ;)
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 02:35:55 PM »
What plants are bad neighbours to Hepatica?
Leena from south of Finland

Anne Repnow

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 06:24:24 PM »
Andreas Händel lists as "bad neighbours":
- Ajuga reptans
- Asperula odorata
- Buglossoides purpurocaerulea
- Convallaria majalis
- Duchesnea indica
- Geranium macorrhizum, G. x magnificum etc.
- Glechoma hederacea
- Hedera helix
- Lamium maculatum etc.
- Pachysandra terminalis
- Vinca minor and V. major
- Waldsteinia geoides (I think he means ternata)

All plants that weave a thick carpet...

Auricular

• My Haemanthus-group
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 05:17:09 AM »
 :D

I hope my ordered book also arrives soon!

And in one month we have the Hepatica exhibition in Munich, Andreas Händel will also be there  ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal