We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica Book by Andreas Händel  (Read 22558 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Hepatica Book by Andreas Händel
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 07:16:52 AM »
Andreas Händel lists as "bad neighbours":
All plants that weave a thick carpet...

Thank you.
I thought it might have to do with that some plants dislike each other because of some chemicals or such, but I understand how some neighbours might run over the hepaticas. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Mavers

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »
Can't wait for the English version.

I have a German nephew-in-law but it would probably take longer than 2 years to get the text translated...especially as he has no interest in hepaticas. ::)

I have 'Millstream Merlin' in the garden & one by one the fat flower buds are being nipped off.....You wait ALL YEAR and then this happens  >:( >:(

Thankfully a piece broke away a couple of years ago I managed to get it to grow elsewhere in the garden & it has two fat buds showing colour, so here's hoping.............
Mike
Somerset, UK

Susann

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 10:17:27 PM »
Any news yet about the English version of the book? How long might "two years" be in a translator´s mind? It is just a little more than nine months since we got the good news about an English version...
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 11:04:43 AM »
Has there been any English version?
It has now gone 4 years
If no plans of English version, is the German version still available?
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 12:06:27 PM »
I never knew if  an English version had been produced.  The German version does still seem available  ;
http://www.misterhepatica.de/book/
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Natalia

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 05:06:21 PM »
What a pity that the book is not planned in English!
Unfortunately, I very badly know German ((
Natalia
Russia, Moscow region, zone 3
temperature:min -48C(1979);max +43(2010)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 08:23:06 AM »
Also I would buy it right away if it were in English. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 08:31:23 PM »
Same here - and I'm sure there would be more others customers :)

Even with basic knowledge of German would be very hard to understand. I tried once a book, translating with a dictionary almost every other word; painfully slow and non-enjoyable.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 11:14:24 AM »
Perhaps if everyone contacted the publisher that might have an effect.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 01:10:33 PM »
See reply 7 earlier in this thread. Do we have a German speaker who would be prepared to contact Herr Handel to see if any progress has been made? Or perhaps if anyone knows John Massey well they might be prepared to contact him and see if he is aware if progress has been made (or hasn’t as the case might be).
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 01:22:34 PM »
In another field of interest my husband and I make books in German, English and Dutch. The problem is not only the translation but also to find a publisher in England or America. Printing conditions there are extremely different from Germany and even German publishers who sell overseas are not really present in these countries.

If you really wish to have an English version you should first find a publishing company in England or America that can announce interest to the German publisher. Following my experience this is the most promising way.

Best wishes
Hannelore

brianw

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 04:43:45 PM »
Has anyone tried to use an online copy of a book; with something like Google translate? If it works it might be easier to persuade the publisher to put a copy online.

My local Chiltern group of the AGS had a recent talk on hepaticas by Samantha Hopes

She worked for John Massey at Ashwood Nurseries for 5 years and is now "www.hopesgardenplants.co.uk"

Very good talk. Recommended if you are interested in breeding etc.

Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 09:27:03 PM »
Lots of good ideas, maybe someone from England will take initiative.
I don't have connections but I doubt any publishing company in NA would be interested in the deal; not enough potential customers interested in the subject, that's for sure.

Brian - Google translate works for small texts, I imagine it would be a bother to use it for a book. Then, German language has a complicated grammar (in my opinion), I can only imagine the twisted meaning of phrases.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

GordonT

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 10:29:37 PM »
Just a thought... there is one North American publisher that might be a candidate for taking on an English edition.... Timber Press http://www.timberpress.com/

I wouldn't know who to contact or how to introduce the subject to them but it might be worth a try.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Jan Jeddeloh

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 03:45:04 AM »
Timber Press is headquartered in Portland where I live.  The editor Tom Fischer has been pretty active in the local Hardy Plant Society where I know some folks, including the office administrator.  I could probably finagle an introduction but I'm not sure how much good that would do without a copy of the Hepatica book.  Since my German is damned poor I don't really want to buy the book.  I guess this is a round about way of saying if someone wants to loan me the book I'd see if I could interest Timber Press in it.  The book would have to be mailed to me and then I'd mail it back (after drooling over the pictures).  At 60 plus Euros you can bet I'd insure it for the return journey.'

It would also be a good idea to make sure the author has not already approached Timber Press.

Anyway if anyone is interested we can talk further.

Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA
Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal