We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: moraea insolens  (Read 2598 times)

P. Kohn

moraea insolens
« on: October 23, 2019, 08:14:04 AM »
One of the many species we would like to try in the new South African Bed at Sheffield Botanic Gardens. It is not on The Silverhills list.
Does anyone grow this plant or know of a seed source please.

Rob-Rah

Re: moraea insolens
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 12:52:22 PM »
I'd love to grow it too. I fear Silverhill and the likes would be breaking laws to procure wild seed though?

P. Kohn

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 02:45:49 PM »
I know it is critically endangered but I wonder if it is in cultivation anywhere ?  Maybe Kirstenbosch ?

Kathy1987

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 07:31:43 AM »
Hello,

I found this species on the list of bulbophile.com

I have no experience with this shop, there are different opinions about it.

But maybe you can try it there?

Greetings
Kathy

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 01:12:51 PM »
Hello Kathy!
The  reports on  Pacific Bulb Society, our sister  society's  list  of  that business are  not  good so I'd advise  great caution.

Hello,

I found this species on the list of bulbophile.com

I have no experience with this shop, there are different opinions about it.

But maybe you can try it there?

Greetings
Kathy
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 01:29:41 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michael Mace

• My bulb blog
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 02:54:18 AM »
I just noticed this thread. Not sure if anyone is still listening, but just in case...

Silverhill offered this species once or twice in the past couple of decades. I have been growing it since 2013, and I know of one other person who has it as well. It hasn't bloomed yet for either of us. In my garden, the corms produce one long threadlike leaf, each year a little bit thicker and longer. Hopefully some day they'll reach blooming size.

I'm able to bloom most of the other winter-growing Moraeas, so I am not sure what the problem is for this one. Maybe I need to burn something over it in the summer, or maybe my climate is a bit too dry for it. It native habitat is a bit moister in summer than mine.

I presume other people have had similar problems getting it to bloom, or it would be in circulation by now.

If anyone has suggestions on how to make it happy, I'm all ears.

Mike

PS: If I ever get seeds from it, I'll share them.

Michael Mace

• My bulb blog
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 05:15:51 AM »
2023 update:

--Burned a very small pile of twigs and dried grass over the bed where the dormant M. insolens corms were, fall 2021.
--One corm bloomed with a single flower, spring 2022. The plants are not self-fertile, so I could not make seeds of the species. I did get a few hybrids using the pollen, though.
--Forgot to repeat the burning in summer 2022.
--No flowers from M. insolens in spring 2023.
--Repeated the burning ritual in summer 2023. Hoping for more flowers next spring.

Mike

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 06:36:14 PM »
Hello Mike,

I just became aware of this thread a few days ago. I am keenly interested in your experiments and outcomes with Moraea insolens.

As you are likely well aware, here in California many native plants species respond to fire in various ways. For example, many Arctostaphylos species are obligate seeders and will germinate in great numbers after a fire. During the first few years after the 2014 King Fire in El Dorado County, California I observed large numbers of Arctostaphylos viscida ssp. viscida germinating on the crest of Poho Ridge, where the intensity of the fire was greatest.

I have never observed any California native bulbous species responding to fire as your experiments with Moraea insolens might suggest. I have studied an exceptionally large ecotype of Erythronium multiscapideum in the Sweetwater Creek area for 3 decades that reproduces abundantly vegetatively yet produces very few flowers each season. There are millions of plants in this population covering many acres of mostly dense chaparral habitat. Where fire or other forces have removed the chaparral cover the plants still rarely bloom. The nearby Kanaka Valley populations of Erythronium multiscapideum bloom abundantly and reproduce vegetatively much more slowly.

I grow plants from the Sweetwater Creek ecotype, as well as plants from many other populations in our Sacramento garden. There appears to be a large genetic component to Sweetwater Creek ecotype’s propensity to bloom sparsely. It would be interesting to find out if plants from unrelated populations of Moraea insolens exhibit the same characteristic to bloom reluctantly.

I look forward to the continuing results of your experiments.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal