We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2007 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 31015 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: November 2007 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2007, 03:54:44 AM »
Now some golden foliage.

34588-0
Spiraea `Gold Flame is light orangey/apricot coloured in the spring as the first leaves grow but changes subtley to a rich golden orange with reddish tips as the season develops. The autumn flowers are plummy red and don't improve things in my opinion, so I cut them off.

34590-1
This gold form of the common lemon balm is called - surprisingly :) - Melissa 'All Gold.' It makes a good clump but isn't invasive as the regular lemon balm can be, in moist soil. The leaves do burn rather though, if exposed to too much sun.

34592-2
I love Bowles' Golden Grass, Millium effusum 'Aureum.' Apart from its superb colouring, it always reminds me of my late brother's comment about "suicide blondes." Dyed by their own hands.

34594-3
A smaller plant than others above, this is the usual but UNusual foliage of Campanula pseudoraineri.

34596-4
Heuchera 'Marmalade' varies from orange and red to copper and pinky shades depending on the weather and the age of the leaves. Always interesting and attractive though.

34598-5
There are very many red forms of heuchera and I can't keep up with them all. The differences are subtle rather than distinctive. The other here, is `Green Spice.'

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 04:30:47 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2007, 04:11:15 AM »
34618-0

34620-1
Not everyone likes variegation but I do, very much indeed though in moderation and with a lot of plain green as background. I guess Astrantia `Sunningdale' has it both ways in that the variegation ages quite quickly to green after the spring.

34622-2
All the podophyllums have great foliage and I think P. hexandrum is among the best. The genus (or part of it) is now called Dysosma or something like that.

34624-3

34626-4
P. 'Spotty Dotty' has a horrid name but is a superb foliage plant. It hasn't flowered for me yet but they should be red.

34628-5
More spots on Dactylorhiza maculata. This is an easy ground orchid which seeds about gently to come up in unexpected places like the cracks in a concrete path or the grass outside our road gate.

34630-6
Although plain green coloured, the foliage of Helleborus torquatus is beautifully shaped and serrated, to be attractive on its own. The flowers will be an added bonus.

34632-7
To finish (at long last, they said) the wonderfully coloured foliage of my little copper beech. It's pinkish to red at present but will blacken as soon as the sun warms a little, a long-winded process this spring.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 04:22:44 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2007, 04:17:46 AM »
All wonderful pics Lesley!!  8)  Great Stuff!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2007, 04:39:25 AM »
'Sunningdale Variegated' is fairly disappointing here, Lesley: not only does the variegation fade away after spring, but it tends to revert to the type on part of the stems each year.. :(
I definitely prefer Peucedanum ostruthium 'Daphnis' in part shade. Do you grow it too, in your country? I wonder how it would behave in zone 9, and would appreciate your input (I have some plants I want to offer to a southern friend next spring, and would willingly add this one!)
Zephirine
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2007, 05:57:06 AM »
Zephirine,

Lovely leaves.  Never come across that genus before.  I'm another lover of variegated plants.... can't help myself.  ;D  The plant looks very familiar, but I can't place what I am actually thinking of.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2007, 06:31:24 AM »
The plant looks very familiar, but I can't place what I am actually thinking of.
Oh I think I can tell you!!!! ;D : It definitely looks like that terrible weed called aegopodium podagraria variegata! (terrible weed for me, anyway)
But peucedanum ostruthium 'Daphnis' is a quiet and beautiful plant, not invasive at all!
It adds a wonderful light to the shady borders, and doesn't threaten its neigbours.
The flowers should be white umbels, but it doesn't bloom for me (probably too much shade).
So I can't offer you any seeds, and I'm not sure seedlings would be variegated anyway...
But if you come across it, don't hesitate, it's a nice companion indeed!
I tried Peucedanum japonicum once, quite a different plant, lovely glaucus foliage and large white umbels, but didn't manage to keep it, alas. I might give it another chance if I can get hold of another one (I had found it in a very far away plants fair near the city of Toulouse, not sure I can get back!).
Zephirine
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 07:10:17 AM by zephirine »

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2007, 10:52:44 AM »
Quote ---"That's a very nice little thing Dave. The small one you gave to me a couple of years ago died unfortunately."

Must remember to make sure i sow seed this season and start spreading the Chionographis  around.
Seems to like a bit of moisture at its feet. Not *100% certain but i think i read a publication many years ago that mentioned it's most happiest in a peat bed.
*Could google it i guess but i want to press on with the following-----

Last Month in 'Oct 2007 in the Southern hemisphere' Paul showed us some pics of his wonderful sunny dry garden in Canberra .

Here are a few general shots of our shady moist garden just a *hop, skip and jump across the ditch.Actually i wish the damn possum which is hissing and making such a racket at this very moment up in a tree outside the back door would do just that*---smile . I'll give it 10 minutes and if it hasn't gone quiet then it's a gonna ---bang bang!!!!!!.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 10:55:31 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

t00lie

• Style Icon
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2007, 11:35:03 AM »
Oh Dave!!  It's so green.  I've almost forgotten what it is like to have such green surroundings....... beautiful.  And the blue poppies! (Sob!)  So very different to my garden! <sigh>

Great pics.  Thanks for taking the time to post them.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2007, 11:50:13 AM »
Paul ---i smiled when i saw your comments mate--- there you are wanting my moist conditions and here i am wanting your sun.Big sigh!!!.

Guess it's only human nature to look over each others 'fence' and wish for what we don't have.
Doesn't stop us from pushing the boundaries though.

Now i must really get to bed.It's nearly 1am here.

Cheers Dave.

Rob

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2007, 03:04:51 PM »
I enjoyed seeing the general shots of your garden.

The hostas and primulas look to be doing much better in your garden than I can manage in the UK
Midlands, United Kingdom

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2007, 06:34:22 PM »
What a gorgeous garden Dave.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2007, 08:05:29 PM »
Zephirine, I've never come across the Peucedanum before in NZ and the genus is not included on our Biosecurity Index/Plants, which lists all the species we are allowed to import. So, I wouldn't be sending it south if I were you. I don't know about Australia. Maybe it's there. I must admit I too, thought "variegated ground elder" which was here at one time But I've not seen it for many years.

If you are sending plants to NZ, there are many things to be aware of. Some are the need to check if it's on the Bio Index, the bare-rooting of all plants, a phytosanitary certificate, 12 months quarantine at this end (very expensive) and so on. Not just a matter of packing up a few nice things and posting them off. But I guess you know all this.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 08:11:28 PM by Lesley Cox »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2007, 08:10:39 PM »
I'm surprised to see Dave, that you still have some lawn, especially at the back. Thought that would have gone ages ago. :D Your Mecs are earlier than mine for which I'm grateful (they're still just beginning to make buds, and are still low) because I'm hoping all these beastly cold winds will have gone before they have to brave my much drier conditions. Everything with you looks really nice and fresh.

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2007, 03:04:47 AM »
If you are sending plants to NZ, there are many things to be aware of.
I certainly don't know all the regulations regarding NZ, Lesley, but I knew there were many, yes: we had discussed this last year with a french rose addict living in your country. Maybe you know him? His site is called Rosarosam, and a french rose breeder (and a friend of mine) dedicated a rose to him ('Rosomane Janon').
Anyway, I'd never send anything anywhere without enquiring first! (I very recently asked the question about Australia!)
It's a matter of respect...and self-respect.
But thank you for the reminder, it wasn't needed as far as I'm concerned, but might be useful to someone else reading this forum! ;)
Zephirine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal