We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 500 Years of Scottish Printing  (Read 3195 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
500 Years of Scottish Printing
« on: October 18, 2007, 02:26:41 PM »
Heard on the radio yesterday that Scotland was celebrating 500 years of printing and it set me to wondering what was the first herbal/gardening book published in Scotland.  Any ideas?
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: 500 Years of Scottish Printing
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 03:35:14 PM »
How about that wonderful book written in 1819 by Sir Walter Scott....

'Iveahoe'?   :-[ :-[ :-[
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 03:43:17 PM »
Not an old one I realise, but Amazon are offering the following at the moment:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scots-Herbal-Plant-Lore-Scotland/dp/1873644604

.....might be of interest?
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: 500 Years of Scottish Printing, 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 04:12:55 PM »
It is indeed, Cliff. I'll be following up on that one.

I know that in 1568 the first medical treatise to be printed in Scotland, "Ane Breve Descriptioun of the Pest Quhair In the Causis, Signis and sum special preservatioun and cure thairof ar contenit ", written by an Edinburgh doctor, Gilbert Skeyne, whilst the town was plague-ridden, was printed and I would be surprised if there were not some botanical references therein, given the nature of medicines and treatments at that time. It may be that we can make a connection with this celebration of printing with an early book, to tie-in with the SRGC 75th Jubilee celebrations next year.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

SueG

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 06:01:39 PM »
According to the a 'List of Books printed in Scotland before 1700' the first person to set up a printing press in Scotland was Walter Chepman, who together with A Myllar were granted a patent by James VI in 1507. The National Library of Scotland has some information about them http://www.nls.uk/firstscottishbooks/

Maggie your book is in the list  Skene (Gilbert). Ane breve descriptiovn of the pest... 8vo. Edinburgh: R. Lekpreuik, 1568.

Looking through their list of books published in Scotland, Aristotle's Natural history was printed in 1579, not quite gardening but getting there, the first gardening/horticulture book I can find reference to was printed in 1595  Napier (Archibald). The new order of gooding and manuring...field land... Edinburgh: R. Waldegrave. Tusser (Thomas). Fiue hundreth pointes of good husbandrie... 4to. Edinburgh: R. Waldegrave, 1599, again, not quite gardening.
There are one of two which use the word garden in their title but I suspect strongly they are religious books not flower books even the title ' a garden of goodly flowers' is most likely a prayer book or a set of meditations upon the saints or martyrs.
A book on trees I think, the first sign of scottish noblemen looking to upgrade their estates and plant trees for timber Barclay (William). Sylvae tres. 8vo. Edinburgh: A. Hart, 1619
I've looked through until 1640 but can't see anything obviously gardening, I'll have a look tonight at home as I know I have a couple of early scottish gardening books (in reprints).
Now I really must go home and have some tea!! ::)

Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

SueG

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 09:13:14 AM »
Digging around ( ::)) last night came up with what is described as the first scottish gardening book, written by a Scot for scottish conditions. It's called 'The Scots Gard'ner' and was written by John Reid, published in 1683. He was born in 1655 at Niddery Castle were his father was a gardener and moved around in Scotland as a gardener before sailing to America on 10th August 1683 and arriving at Woodbridge New Jersey on 10th Jan 1684, where he died in 1723 a prosperous landowner.
The introduction to the reprint of this book also mentions another 1683 book 'Hortus Medicus Edinburgensis', subtitled 'A catalogue of the plants in the physical garden at Edinburgh containing their most proper latin and english names: with an english alphabetical index'. I think this garden went onto become the Edinburgh Botanics?

The book is great fun and I now know how to make my own ruler and lay out a garden using the simplest of material - his description of how to lay out a fence line through a wood is worth the cost of the book alone! He's big on manuring and digging and weeding and finishes the book with a calendar of garden activities. Some of Octobers activities include (I've left his spelling alone)
Gather Winter Fruits, Prepare dungs and manures, Plant Hawthorn Hedges, Gather seeds of Hassell (hazel), Hawthorn, Plan, Beach, Oak, Aple. Plant Tulips, Anemonies and other Bulbs. Sow the seed of Bairs-ears (auriculas), Cowslips, Tulips etc. Finish your last weeding and mowing. Pickle and conserve Fruits. Make Perry and Cyder.

If anyone is interested his book was republished in 1988 with an introduction by Annette Hope, by Mainstream Publishing ISBN 1-85158-125-1. I bought mine second hand for just a few pounds.

I think his advice is pretty good and plan to follow it this weekend ;D  ;D

Sue

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 09:38:10 AM »
How about that wonderful book written in 1819 by Sir Walter Scott....

'Iveahoe'?   :-[ :-[ :-[

:'( :'( :'(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 02:20:47 PM »
Thanks Sue,  I knew one of the forum's intellectuals would seek out the answer.  The book by John Reid sound invaluable, perhaps it's one for SRGC archive?
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 03:27:27 PM »
See this
http://www.nls.uk/scotlandspages/timeline/1683.html

http://www.rls.org.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-577-964-C&PHPSESSID=n56lhg6dmk7t2m11a465jvdjh6&scache=1lk8036nj9&searchdb=scran

In 1683 :
First written record of potatoes in Scotland by John Reid, gardener to Sir Goege Mackenzie of Rosehaugh in his book “The Scots Gard’ner” Reid recommends its use as a garden vegetable and gave instructions for its cultivation.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 03:31:26 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 03:35:40 PM »
This is a link to an page of Masonic history, detailing an early Scottish Gardeners "Lodge"
http://www.stbryde.co.uk/articles/order_gardners.htm

Fascinating the routes one can find oneself wandering, isn't it?

SueG

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 05:09:13 PM »
Sadly his recipe chapter seems to have missed out cake recipies. . . .
But it does have several for wine and liqueurs (hic)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal