We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: WILDLIFE (FROM MID OCTOBER 2007)  (Read 4412 times)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
WILDLIFE (FROM MID OCTOBER 2007)
« on: October 17, 2007, 07:42:33 AM »
The previous WILDLIFE thread has now reached a rather ungainly twenty-one pages so let's begin a new thread ready for all those splendid autumn and winter 2007 images.....I can hear the shutters being pressed already....

Please forgive me if this is a repeat posting on SRGC (I know I released them 'somewhere' on the web at the time of taking), but I was quite pleased with the results and thought you might like a quick look at these birds of prey captured at Alnwick Castle in Northumberland a few years ago....domesticated WILDLIFE I admit, but still VERY pretty.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: WILDLIFE (FROM MID OCTOBER 2007)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 07:45:14 AM »
....A couple more and a bewildered crane captured on a sunny island in the same year.....
Cliff Booker

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 08:10:25 AM »
Eagle Owls are now breeding in the Lake District and other places in the UK. One pair is in an army training area
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Rob

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 09:11:23 AM »
Mark do you think the Eagle Owls breeding in the wild in the UK should be culled?

They must have an adverse effect on other species
Midlands, United Kingdom

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 10:00:07 AM »
Were Eagle Owls introduced in the UK or did they arrive without assistance?

Our local pair didn't breed for the first time for many years after the local landowner clearfelled a large area of forest around the nesting site -  this lead to a lot of complaints as the Eagle Owl (called Hubro here, after its call) is a protected species. The landownwer has been reported to the police...
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 10:57:56 AM »
as far as I know ours only eat rabbits
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 07:03:28 PM »
as far as I know ours only eat rabbits

Maybe a solution to your cat problem there Mark? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 07:39:23 PM »
I have tried for years to negotiate short term loans of their wonderful eagle owl,  she goes by the name of Gandalf, from a local Falconry place......no success yet, but I keep hoping for this natural answer to the local cat problem. Gandalf is a real star, comes to a central Aberdeen shopping mall every year to raise money for the raptor centre......she's about the size of a telephone box and I wouldn't mess with her! Well, maybe not a telephone box, but she is pretty big, loooking even larger indoors! I am besotted with her and pleased that she seems to have a good life doing her fundraising work and flying for demonstrations as I do mostly worry about captive birds like these, though of course there are sometimes good reasons why they are in captivity. A vulture is causing problems further North in Scotland at the moment as it keeps escaping and is reluctant to be caught..... spends a lot of time sitting about in a tree, to the frustration of the keepers!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 07:42:42 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rob

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 10:22:26 PM »
I thought eagle owls preyed on Tawny Owls so I googled and found the following:

'The Eurasian Eagle Owl was once resident in the UK, but was hunted to extinction during the late 19<sup>th century (NOTE - the RSPB does question this view & says that the evidence is very slim.). This was done mainly by gamekeepers & farmers, concerned on them preying on their livestock. Unlike many other birds of prey, their was some justification to their fears, the owls can take large prey, but it is unlikely that they could do enough to warrant hunting them to extinction. It has also been suggested that other reasons for hunting them were for stuffing as ornaments & for the fashion trade, the long feathers being in particular demand to adorn hats. There are reports of some Eagle Owls living in the wild in the UK, it is most likely that these birds are escaped or (illegally) released captive birds, rather than migrants. In particular, a pair have been nesting & breeding since 1997 years on MOD property on the North Yorkshire moors, they are thought to have successfully reared over 20 young. (I have also seen one reference to a small reintroduction programme in the UK, possibly Scotland, but haven't been able to find any details).

The Eurasian Eagle Owl hunts predominantly at dusk & into the early night. They have occassionally been found sharing territories with Golden Eagles, with the eagles hunting during the day & the owls at night. They are not prepared to live peacefully with all birds of prey though, in particular goshawks. They have also been found to drive away Peregrines from near to their nesting sites. They have been reported as regularly preying on buzzards, goshawks, gyrfalcons, Tawny Owls, Long-Eared Owls & other small birds of prey, including their young. While other birds, such as ducks, pheasants, pigeons & crows, may be taken (often in flight), their main prey is mammals. They are able to catch prey spreading a large range of sizes, from mice & voles, through rabbits & hares, up to foxes, young sheep & roe deer.'

Midlands, United Kingdom

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 10:05:33 AM »
Jings, must remember to bring the kids in at night! :o Could use this to bring them in earlier from playing outside. :)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 10:13:26 AM »
Hi, Anthony, you're back then?!! Have the Darbys enjoyed their various tattie holiday excursions to Centre Parcs and Trinidad?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 10:31:54 AM »
Yep and yep. After a week of 33oC 8) (dropping to 24oC at night ::)), 12oC is a shock to the system! :( Saw plenty of wildlife, but not really that much of Trinidad due to the nature of the trip (collecting leaf cutting ants). Lime time was good too.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 12:04:40 PM »
Just a couple of images from a quick visit yesterday to Hebden Bridge and Widdup Moor (West Yorkshire).....a bit arty for some tastes, but then so are many of the entries for the Turner Prize (the poor man would be 'turnering' in his grave)!
Cliff Booker

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 12:10:53 PM »
For anyone who might be interested the Goose image above was taken from this original photograph captured on the canal wharf at Hebden Bridge.
Cliff Booker

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 12:15:41 PM »
Cliff,
very interesting. What software have you used to make the goose picture?
Best wishes
Armin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal