We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium Weekend at Methven, 2007  (Read 11476 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Trillium Weekend at Methven, 2007
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2007, 01:05:15 PM »
Lesley,

Fantastic pics!!  The Trilliums were a great ending.  LOVE that pea green one, and the pedicillate unknown.  Both would be welcomed here in my garden, but then again to be honest pretty much every Trillium you posted here would be welcome here.  ;D

Can I ask about teh Skunk Cabbage........ how much sun was it in (if you know).  I grow mine in full sun but am never sure whether I should be or not.  I know they are usually in some forested bog situations (at least in pics I have seen) but I've heard conflicting reports.  I have both americanum (the yellow) and camschatcensis (the white species, which I'm assuming your pic was of) and am intending to pot them up into their own water bowls to give them maximum root space and plenty of water....... but I'm wondering how much sun I SHOULD be giving them?  Do you or anyone know?  ???
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2007, 08:04:46 PM »
Many thanks everyone. I'm pleased you enjoyed the pictures. My own little ego trip I suppose but a way to relive the experience as well.

Paul the Lysichiton was in water and probably permanent water. All this milky stuff seen in this thread is from irrigation channels and is always this colour. Maybe they don't run in the winter so much when the ground could be expected to be moist from rains - not necessaraily always the case. As I recall, it was in full sun though trees would shade it morning and later afternoon but by mid summer when the sun is much higher, it would be in full sun just about all day I should think. The ones in my Japanese book were certainly in full sun, but always the water. (Even rhododendrons will grow in full, hot sun provided the soil is always moist.) In shade they would be larger-leaved maybe but probably not flower so well. My own experience of the genus is extremely limited. Canberra full sun is most likely hotter than mid Canterbury full sun.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2007, 01:25:54 AM »
Lesley,

Thanks.  I know of their need for water/bog conditions.  I have grown mine for years in a large pot with the base sitting in a shallow pond.  I am intending to put them into a water bowl so that their roots have more room to grow, without them taking over a bog garden or anything like that.  At the moment they're in fairly solid sun, but will probably be in even more sun if I put them where I am intending to.  I guess I'll try it and see.  Just wanting to actually see some flowers, something they haven't given me in their current potted conditions!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2007, 10:36:17 AM »
Crumbs. I clicked on this thread thinking I'd missed a local event as Methven is not far up the road, near Perth. ::) Guess there are two Methvens? :D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2007, 11:37:06 AM »
Possibly two Perths as well Anthony?    :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2007, 04:19:10 PM »
I know of a Perth in Canada - named as 'prettiest town in Canada' by TV Ontario!!!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2007, 12:43:02 AM »
Whatever is in Scotland it's in NZ too Anthony. I looked at a house for sale the other day - in Dunblane Street. A very nice SUNNY street it is too.:D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2007, 09:36:26 PM »
Very nice Pics Lesley and Susan and Toolie.
Lesley can the upper iris be Gingerbread man? it has similar colours but I do not have a picture to compare with in front of me.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2007, 11:34:02 PM »
I think you are probably right Joakim, `Gingerbread Man.'  In which case, it's likely that someone's (Fermi's?) was right too on another thread, when I argued about it. It seems to be a variety that is lighter, darker, according to the climate and weather at the time.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal