We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Other plant photos  (Read 5661 times)

Michael

Other plant photos
« on: September 17, 2007, 10:43:50 AM »
Hi folks :)

I am happy to show you my place. I dont have a garden properly, everything is just potted up, but i am trying to convince my dad of cutting some banana plants to open me some space in the ground. We'll see ;D

Sorry about the quality of some pictures  :-\

In the third photo it is me with my cousin Yanna from venezuela:

For last, here you have some pictures of the last levada i did this summer. But no bulbs!!! Like i said (besides our Dactylorhiza foliosa) no more colours at any time of the year = very monotonous...  :'( :'(

Thanks for watching  8)
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Other plant photos
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 10:54:05 AM »
Thanks, Mike, this is great... I see you are already completely plant -addicted.......surely this means you will be happy always! There will be many of us seeing these pictures who would be delighted to be able to have the climate to grow these warmth-loving plants, so we are all tempted by something different, eh? 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michael

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:58:31 AM »
Yes Maggi, i am a plant-obcessed person... I just realized that we highly desire those things that we can't have! Why things have to be this way? Oh btw, i would like to ask you one thing. What is the right name of you beautifull scotish bluebell. Is it Endymion nonscriptus? Or Endymion nonsripta?
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 12:13:13 PM »
Mike, I call it Hyacinthoides non-scipta and this is also the British bluebell : but, to confuse things, we also have the Harebell, which is called the Scottish bluebell.... that is Campanula rotundifolia !!!! A great example of why the Latin names are easiest in the long run!

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 12:24:01 PM »
Oh you've got it BAD....

You're in great company here...
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 01:17:26 PM »
There are some great plants, Mike.
Maybe we could have another competition, Lesley bakes a virtual cake for the forumist who can name them all :).
I have just looked up Mike's profile and see that he lives in Madera which explains his growing conditions. I would cost me the whole years salary to heat a house to grow these plants in Scotland.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 01:27:45 PM »
I've seen such water canals in your neighborhood on the Canary Island of La Palma in 1996!

Found your request for Fritillaria in another thread and I still have some F. meleagris and pallidiflora
seeds here - the only thing I want in return is the e-mail adress of your cousin  8)
You will need 4 or 5 years to grow them to flowering size, contact me privately if you want them !
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Michael

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 01:56:23 PM »
Yes Maggi, Hyacinthoides non-scripta! I also like the campanula, but i was refering to the Hyacinthoides. Have you checked the photo that they have on wikipedia? An ENTIRE woods covered in blue! It is a pity that plant is hybridising with other one, i really like the hanging habit of the flowers. Where can i find a store with those? Is it true that the bulb cannot dry out?
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Michael

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 02:01:50 PM »
Ok David, it would be fun trying to name them all (except the pics who have many plant involved). An i also want to try a piece of that virtual cake! Can't you grow these plants at home?

Thomas, yes i am interested in the seeds ;D ;D. It certainly will be a nice experience to grow them that way, but i never tried to grow bulbs like that, because i usually propagate by bulbils. I hope you help me with their culture
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 11:57:28 PM »
Yes Mike (where does "Mike" come from? I don't see it anywhere, or in the profile). You certainly do need a garden, and a large one at that. I can just hear the conversation here. "Roger, I need to grow more primulas and crocuses. Would you go and cut down a few bananas please." ;D ;D ;D

I know only a couple of what for me are entirely tropical plants. But I really like the Pinguicula.

So far as a cake is concerned, for a complete list of correct names, I think I'm pretty safe. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 12:00:28 AM »
I'm also wondering how there can be 48 (I think) pics in a single post ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Michael

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 11:06:25 AM »
Hi Lesley,

Mike comes from the first post i wrote, but if you want i can change my nickname to my real name  :)

Yes i really want to have a garden like all of you do, but the banana plants give too much shade to most bulbs i presume... But i will never give up!
The pinguicula is setting seed for it's very first time, if you want i cand send some for you when they get ripe. I have just checked you profile and i saw you live in New Zealand! Forgive me my ignorance, but isnt New Zealand subtropical (at least near the sea)??
Few years ago i was searching for a plant that comes from the three Kings Islands called Tecomanthe speciosa, it's a tropical plant, and if it comes from there, i thought New Zealand was also tropical...
About the amount of photos, i use a site on the internet that hosts my photos and then i just have to put the image link on the post. If you allow publicity here,  can say the name of that site
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 11:21:55 AM »
Yes, Mike, you may name the site. If you look at other forumists profiles or signatures, they often show similar information  for their sites.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 11:49:45 AM »
Ok thanks Maggi ;D

Here is the link for that website:

www.photobucket.com

You can have an acount for free, and then start to upload and post new photos!
The correct link for posting photos is the forth one (the one who has [img] at the begining )
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 07:09:48 PM »
The site has many more photos of the same type of plants that Mike showed in his first posting. Great pictures, Mike, and the warm atmosphere that they suggest is a treat during our 'summer'.
Carol and I have visited Madeira just once and greatly enjoyed the gardens and the walking. It is on the list of places for 'must return' or, maybe, a nicer alternative for the retirement home than Costa del Sol :P.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal