We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Solving a puzzle with Diapensia  (Read 1728 times)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Solving a puzzle with Diapensia
« on: September 16, 2007, 11:55:20 AM »
Thought members might be interested in a recent article in British Wildlife magazine (www.britishwildlife.com/) about Diapensia Diapensia lapponica.

In the UK Diapensia is restricted to a single mountain in Lochaber (which is the area in the west highlands around Fort William). It grows at 800m, on stony ground, in an area of high rainfall. (As someone who used to live just north of Fort William at Laggan and one year endured over 144 inches of rain the term high rainfall doesn't really convey the reality of living an amphibious existence!).

Anyway to return to the matter in hand, scientists from Tromso University, Norway,are undertaking genetic analysis of Diapensia from Scotland (its most southerly location) to compare with samples taken from Russia, Scandinavia, Iceland and Greenland in order to determine what happened to the flora during the ice age. Apparently there are conflicting theories: one promotes the notion that some species survived on the peaks above the ice sheet whilst the other argues that the flora was wiped out and has subsequently recolonised from the south. This reseach may help in forming a view as to which theory is the better.

Incidentally Diapensia seems to survive on my wet clay (albeit with added grit) in West Lothian - perhaps its the moist damp air!

Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Solving a puzzle with Diapensia
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 10:41:08 PM »
This is all very interesting but doesn't solve my problem of how to get some size on my 5 seedlings (SRGC seed) which germinated about a year ago and are still less than 1/10th of an inch in diameter! Unfortunately, my air is neither moist nor damp, generally speaking, only in short, occasional bursts. My Epigaeas, on the other hand, are flourishing.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 10:42:50 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal