We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fishbox Alpine Sink  (Read 2083 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Fishbox Alpine Sink
« on: September 14, 2007, 12:55:01 PM »
Thanks to the inspiration received when a couple (whose names I no longer recall) came to Ponteland to show the AGS group there how to create alpine sinks from fish boxes, I now have four.  One of the more shallow ones was light enough for me to lift to take to our local Warkworth Show and was entered in the category of 'garden in miniature - dwarf hardy plants'.  I had no competition and it won me a first prize, but it also won me a cup for the 'President's favourite exhibit', so I was well pleased.  I've never entered anything in the alpine shows, the quality of plants is so good that I hardly dare think of doing so.  But for this win my thanks go to those people who inspired my new interest in growing alpines in sinks.  The contents of the box were:
Acis nicaeensis (not in flower and planted as seeds)
Androsace carnea alba
Aquilegia jonesii x saximontana
Armeria trojana
Dianthus freynii var. nana
Iris reichenbachii
Limonium minutum
Lobelia sp
Houstonia caerulea alba
Rhodohypoxis baurii
Sempervivum ‘Commander Hay’ AGM
Silene ‘Mount Snowdon’
Thymus serphyllum ‘Annie Hall’

Just fairly ordinary alpines to many folks here, but to visitors to the Warkworth Show they were quite unusual.  I had a good number of enquiries about how to create the box, which I was able to explain of course, having learned from experts.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: Fishbox Alpine Sink
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 01:48:12 PM »
Chris
ALL of the exhibitors who enter the 'so good' plants in the shows once entered their first show and before this probably entertained the same fears that you have. Believe me, it is the first step that is the hard one; after that it becomes much more easy.
All of the shows have a Section II just for people who want to dip their toes in the water. It is your own show in a few weeks time so on behalf of your show secretary I would urge you to put a couple of plants together and take them along. I do not have the schedules in front of me but I am sure there will be a class for your trough.
You have already taken your first step, congratulations and good luck.

ps Are you going to discussion W/E. There is a trough class there. Let us see it, please.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

ChrisB

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 03:57:45 PM »
Dear David,

Thanks for all the encouragement.  It is pretty daunting to put plants into a show that is so very good.  I've been and seen them for a few years now and thoroughly enjoyed them.  Unfortunately I'm off, with Sue G and others to Yorkshire on the same day as the Ponteland show, to a series of talks about irises, so cannot attend.  Otherwise I might just be tempted.  Still not sure about whether I can get to the October weekend, hoping so, but finances are a bit stretched at the moment (car sickness accounts for a sizeable amount of it), and family illness is another issue that leaves me unsure, but if I do, and if Sue has room for it (she will be driving) and if I can get in at such late notice, I'd love to bring one of my sinks along.  Anyway, one of these times I'll give it a try.  Thanks again David,
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 06:58:34 PM »
Well done, Christine ! A very smart trough, well deserving of catching the Judges' and President's eye.
I think it was Ian and Carole Bainbridge who came south to spread the trough word to Northumberland!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisB

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 07:00:41 PM »
Yes, Maggi it was.  I should know the name too, Bainbridges being a former dept store in Newcastle, I'll remember now.  Anyway, they should be given the credit for the box because if I had not seen the demo, I doubt I would ever have attempted it.  Thanks Ian and Carole!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal