We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: IRG-November 2011  (Read 2520 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
IRG-November 2011
« on: November 25, 2011, 03:36:14 PM »
Another smashing edition folks, well done.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: IRG-November 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 03:49:21 PM »
Thanks David.... we aim to please  :)

A note about this issue....
I hope that folks will notice and follow the link to Jim Shields' online glossary ... http://www.shieldsgardens.com/info/Glossary.html

we are aware that there are quite a lot of "Newbies" reading the IRG and thought that they might appreciate a link to an explanation of some ofthe botanicasl terms. I have included this sort of thing once ot twice in the past but this time I figured that the glossary  from Jim, (known  here in this Forum and in the Pacific Bulb Society etc) would be a good idea. Jim regards his glossary as a "work in progress"  and welcomes queries or comments on the project.
You may contact him at shieldsgardens AT gmail.com

Jim has kindly offered to work with IRG on any future words that may be unfamilair to readers.
Terminology is one of those things that newcomers can find to be impenetrable jargon, so if we can ease the way, so much the better!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 04:45:34 PM »
Another smashing edition folks, well done.

How could we not agree ?  8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerry Webster

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 05:02:57 PM »
Very nice to see Ian's piece on the bulbocodium narcissi. However, I would question his generalisation that N. bulbocodium is a good garden plant. While clearly true of some gardens, it is not true of all. N. bulbocodium conspicuus will not  grow, let alone flower, outdoors here, even in troughs of a specially prepared soil  mix.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 05:25:18 PM »
I don't think Ian's intention was to say that N. bulbocodium is a good plant for ALL gardens, Gerry..... he is, as ever, speaking about what is grows well for us in our garden.

After all, there is hardly a single desirable plant that will grow well in EVERY garden ...... and that in one county, never mind country or around the world.... so I would hope that readers would be able to realise that no "one size fits all" solution exists.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:01:38 AM »
So Narcissus bulbocodium conspicuous by its absence in your garden then Gerry? A case of all generalisations are false?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 09:47:28 PM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal