We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Doesn't time pass quickly when you are enjoying yourself!  (Read 5554 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Doesn't time pass quickly when you are enjoying yourself!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 03:29:32 PM »
I looked at the photo and thought it was a group of Octopi

Maggi I'll start showing more of my little plants
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 07:31:06 PM »
Get a life, you guys - get out into your potting sheds ::)

Gumpy gone Pottie (as the grandchildren used to say)

David, I was out in the garden at 0930 this morning and apart from a spot of lunch didn't come in until 1830 and, depending on the time of year, the weather or other tasks I'm given to do!!, that's me 5 out of 7. One of the many joys of being retired (the hours are great but the money's not as good!)  ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 10:12:19 PM »
Thanks Dave, have rectified that slip of the finger - or mind!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 10:21:31 PM »
So the Gethyllis is a BULB!!! The BD will be tearing his hair out until he gets one. ;D It looks like a frilly neck decoration to go on one of those apalling angora knitted cardigans some people (I swear to God I wasn't one) wore way back in the 60s or thereabouts. I bet you remember them Maggi? Pale pink or blue usually and they shed hair like the dog! Stunning plants though. We definitely need more of these kinds of things Rogan.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 11:33:43 PM »
Rogan, that is amazing... I thought at first glance it was a fabulous sea-anemone... just beautiful, so sculptural. Without seeing a flower I'd never have guessed it was a member of the amaryllidaceae  ???
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 12:26:42 AM »
...and with a plant sooooo attractive (the Gethyllis folks), who even cares about the flowers?
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 12:54:23 AM »
and with a plant sooooo attractive (the Gethyllis folks), who even cares about the flowers?
valid point, Carlo... but the flowers are pretty AND they are sweetly scented!! Yippee! This bulb has everything!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 08:50:33 AM »
FIVE DAYS ;D
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 09:20:51 AM »
Maggi,

I'm not sure I actually grow ANYTHING that is a true alpine. <sigh>  Usually the 40'C occasional extremes in summer (and the regular 35s and above) tend to do them in.  Can't afford an airconditioned glasshouse to keep em cool!  ::)  Actually, can't afford a glasshouse.... period!!  And couldn't afford the space for it either!!  ;D

Rogan,

That Gehyllis is stunning.  I like curly little leaves.  Albuca spiralis (while not fuzzy) has leaves that curl into little springs sitting on the ground.  The flowers are cool, but when the leaves first start it looks so strange as they are so tightly coiled.  Similar enough to think of them when I saw your Gethyllis, although they don't really come close.  Veeeeery nice pic of yours!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 09:22:45 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Michael

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 09:35:21 AM »
I also agree with you. I just entered here the day before yesterday and i have learnt a lot! Even now i just leanrt about that tiny cute octopus plant!
But my holidays are almost finishing and next week i will begin with school. But i will come here at least 2 times per week to see how are things going around!

I do hope our "alpine" comments aren't offending any of the super forumists who post "other" plants.... because I get huge pleasure from seeing all plants! It is so interesting to see what other folks have in their gardens... and drooling because one doesn't have the climate or the space or the skill to grow them oneself! 

Well Maggi, i thought we could only post here photos of bulbous, or bulb-related plants, but now that you say that, i would like to show you my other plants! I will make a new post now  :)
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal