We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Doesn't time pass quickly when you are enjoying yourself!  (Read 5553 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Doesn't time pass quickly when you are enjoying yourself!
« on: September 10, 2007, 08:47:43 PM »
Just noticed for the first time the figures showing my time logged in to the New Forum since it started (10 days, 1 hour and 18 minutes) and I have to say I've enjoyed every minute of it and I'velearned so much from so many people. What a very very good use of time. ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Doesn't time pass quickly when you are enjoying yourself!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 08:59:38 PM »
I suppose I might reasonably be expected to agree with you, David .... and I do!
I seem to be seeing new plants all the time... I had no idea I was so ignorant  :-[ Where else would I be learning all this? Every bit as pleasant for me, without a doubt, is the chance to chat and joke and have fun with everyone... so friendly and makes the SRGC more important to me than any other organisation I have ever belonged to. Fun and learning, what more could we ask of our time?
Well, cake to go with, naturally  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 09:10:05 PM »
I can think of a few things I'd like to see here to make it even better.... more photos of peoples alpine alpines, if you know what I mean .... lots of folks out there with great collections and fab show plants that they could be sharing with us......new threads devoted to alpine specialities, like cushion plants, Dionysias, Primula allionii etc... ...heaps of things that I'd love to see and hear more of, and I'm sure I'm not the only one... where are you, those folks growing these things? Share, why don't you!

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 11:22:43 PM »
I echo the thoughts of David.  I've only recently been on this site but have found it incredibly helpful and informative.  I really don't know how you find time, Maggi to respond to so much posted on the site as well as all you must do behind the scenes to make it all happen, as well as looking after the diary and other many duties related to the BD, your lovely garden and probably much, much more.  Bravo!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 12:10:07 AM »
More than 10 days David and I thought I was wasting too much time at just under 7! But of course it's NOT a waste of time but a wonderful opportunity to learn so much about all kinds of plants, make new friends and learn about other places. (Given the time I'm sitting here though, it could be a waist of time, especially if there's a cake involved.)

I'd love to see more of true alpines as well, which is not to say the many others are not of great interest and beauty. Probably spring is the best time for starting new genus threads, and we do have quite a few after all; all the bulb threads along with primula, meconopsis, etc. But we could do with one for dwarf ericaceae among others. Cushions would be good.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 10:10:41 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 01:02:13 AM »
Value of the forum aside, it is a little scary, no?

True alpines? Give me until spring...we'll see what survives.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 02:10:20 AM »
Value of the forum aside, it is a little scary, no?

Yes, it is and if I thought Roger was spending a whole week - 24/7 - looking at car stuff, I'd not only be shocked, but derisive as well. One's perception of what's worthwhile is very subjective.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 08:19:33 AM »
Clearly I agree with all the above and only too bad that so many lurkers, undoubtedly with a host of gems to show us, do not post  :-\
Don't be shy folks - come out into the open and make this forum become even more exciting than it already is !!! :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 10:46:14 AM »
Quote from Lesley earlier today--"More than 10 hours David and I thought I was wasting too much time at just under 7! ".

It gets much worse than that Lesley---it's days not hours .

Cheers Dave -----at 4 days, 9 hours and 22 minutes........and loving every moment of it !!!.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
I do hope our "alpine" comments aren't offending any of the super forumists who post "other" plants.... because I get huge pleasure from seeing all plants! It is so interesting to see what other folks have in their gardens... and drooling because one doesn't have the climate or the space or the skill to grow them oneself! 

The time statistics are a revelation, I know! Fantastic that we can spend time with eachother, though, isn't it? In the modern way of life when everything is in such a rush, how wonderful that we afford the luxury of time to ourselves and our friends here, bringing the world of plants and gardeners together.... good grief, I see now why I am happy to be an SRGC Member....... I like all this stuff!

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 01:09:04 PM »
Get a life, you guys - get out into your potting sheds ::)

Gumpy gone Pottie (as the grandchildren used to say)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 01:14:14 PM by David Shaw »
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 01:12:29 PM »
Nay Maggi, we're not offended by all your 'alpine' and / or 'cushion' talk  ;) I realise I'm incredibly lucky living in a country with so much floral splendour, but that doesn't mean I don't drool over all the miniature dafs, snowdrops, frits et al. ...and the Bulb Despot's bulb log - I drool over that on a weekly basis! This charming little Gethyllis sp. from the Karoo certainly matches many alpines in beauty and desirability - enjoy!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 01:15:36 PM by Rogan »
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Carlo

• BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 01:14:28 PM »
Wow Rogan! Fantastic...

What do you know about it? Are you growing it?
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Carlo

• BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 01:17:12 PM »
For others interested in Gethyllis:

http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantefg/gethyllis.htm

Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 01:21:41 PM »
Carlo, I don't know much about it as I have only seen this specimen in the wild. I have asked a friend in the area where it grows to look out for some seed one day and he has promised to do so. If I manage to lay my hands on some I will certainly share it  :)
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal