We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wisley Log 21- 19. December 2010  (Read 3206 times)

Onion

Wisley Log 21- 19. December 2010
« on: December 21, 2010, 06:46:22 PM »
Paul,

can you tell more about the cultivation of Leucocoryne?
When do you start watering? Did the pots need a frostfree greenhouse? Special mixture for the soil?
I love them, but have not the courage to start growing them.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Wisley Log 21- 19. December 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 07:20:49 PM »
A lovely Log Paul, cheered me up no end.

I have (or maybe I should say I had before the freeze) Leucocoryne alliacea and L. ixioides growing from seed sown September 2008, and L. vittata sown October 2010. I just hope I get them to flowering size they are a beautiful genus. I liked the Zephyra too and hadn't heard of that before. Ornithogalum dubium-I gave up on but like the alternative. I assume your home greenhouse is heated?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:52:28 PM »
Paul ,

great pics ( as usual )

Here is a little story to this cactus ( Rebutia donaldiana )- the fieldnumber is L 348
This plant was found from Dr. Alfred B.Lau long time ago ....the location is near Pucara to Vallegrande ( La Higuera ) in Bolivia - maybe some will know this area ...here was killed Ernesto "Che" Guevara in year 1967....this location is on 2400 m
This plant was descriptet in honor to John D.Donald from A.Lau and G.Rowley in year 1974 and published in Ashingtonia

Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 10:04:09 PM »
I am glad you like the log everyone. Uli, I start watering about late September and I do keep them in a greenhouse that is just frost-free. My potting mix is simple: 50% John Innes compost (loam) and 50% grit. They like planting deep in a long pot.
Thanks for the information Hans about the Rebutia, very interesting. One of the authors you named - Gordon Rowley - who published the description in 1974 was one of my tutors at Reading University. The fact that he taught there (and I was interested in cacti) was one of the reasons I chose Reading as my university.

Regards
Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Onion

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 12:32:58 AM »
Thanks a lot Paul.
Now the door is open, to cultivate this lovely Leucocoryne.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »
Thanks for the information Hans about the Rebutia, very interesting. One of the authors you named - Gordon Rowley - who published the description in 1974 was one of my tutors at Reading University. The fact that he taught there (and I was interested in cacti) was one of the reasons I chose Reading as my university.

Regards
Paul

Paul ,

I dont know so much about Gordon Rowley ....
But I'm very glad that he has moved Chamaecerus silvestrii in year 1967/68 to Lobivia silvestrii -this is what I really agree  ;D
What a silly idea to make for this plants a own genus  :(
...Spegazzini made it as Cereus silvestrii (1905)....Britton and Rose as Chamaecereus silvestrii (1922).....and Friedrich and Glaetzle ( 1983 ) to Echinopsis chamaecereus ....

Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal