We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: International Rock Gardener – New SRGC Site Feature  (Read 55034 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: International Rock Gardener – New SRGC Site Feature
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2010, 06:48:42 PM »
As a cactus lover, Cohan, I can see the appeal of the Townsendia for you.... it is trying hard to be a little cactus, isn't it?
Very appealing little plant, in all its stages... but the cottonballs are the cutest.
Funny how plants have so many different ways to engage our attention.

true--so many forms, and so many unrelated plants that have found similar forms in tough environments... i'm really starting to appreciate the asteraceae for cool plants--vs just showy garden flowers..
i have seed of a T spathulata, but i will be watching for this form.... i suppose it will not like much wet with all that wool...

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2010, 01:54:11 PM »
Have just managed to download the IRG .pdf and am so pleased to see Olga's fantastic photos and interesting report on Daphnes growing in the wild. Seeing them growing in abundance like that must be a fantastic experience  ;)

Thanks for this latest issue full of insights and beautiful plants - accessible at a keystroke and completely absorbing   8)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 02:05:22 PM by Ragged Robin »
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2010, 05:04:12 AM »
this was a fun issue--i really like the idea of a theme (conference and emblems of participating clubs) which then kind of branches off in several slight tangents--a very natural learning process :)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2010, 06:40:54 AM »
This latest issue makes me even more disappointed that I'm unable to make the trip and attend. This issue of IRG is another superb effort and I like the rather different theme to it; bringing all the different alpine groups together with their various emblems, is a great idea. The only thing lacking, is Julie Andrews and supporting singers! ;D ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2010, 01:10:52 AM »
the biographies are quite fascinating! and the books and publications mentioned could afford months of reading could i afford them! a reminder of just how much there really is out there in the world of rock gardening :)

edit: i forgot to add, nice view of the young's garden-so packed with goodies! is that a lush designer dandelion just around the centre? or just a cousin with similar leaves? i have 'wild' dandelions that lush, but my 'designers' are just babies-some healthy pseudo-roseum, albidum didn't come up yet :(
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:38:51 AM by cohan »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2010, 01:04:17 AM »
Since this is perhaps the closest that I'll get to this upcoming Conference, it's a great pleasure to see the photos and read about the exploits of the speakers who will no doubt enthrall all present. I am sure and certainly hope that those who CAN attend will keep the rest of us well informed about it all with masses of pictures on the Forum in due course. Perhaps there will be a book or onlione edition of the collected lectures, available to the rock gardening public as well as to attenders?

Thanks to those who put the IRG together, for yet another superb issue. Already these are a wonderful resource and will become immensely valuable, the more so as each new one is added.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2010, 05:26:23 PM »
Lesley:  the information I  have at present is that the official AGS conference Report will be sent to all attending the event  and also to all AGS members. 

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2010, 05:26:58 PM »
Further to the Conference activities, there is news of the Pre and Post Conference Tours here :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2751.msg161651#msg161651

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »
ONLY TWENTY DAYS TO BOOK YOUR DISCOUNTED PLACE AT THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ... JUST TWENTY DAYS!!!!!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:58:33 PM by Maggi Young »
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2010, 06:58:58 PM »

I've been giving these reminders myself... and realised that I hadn't actually made my own booking!
It's done now ,though.... so act soon to benefit from the Early Bird Discount!!

Friends, a reminder that to qualify for the £100 early booking discount for the 'Alpines without Frontiers' Conference to be held in Nottingham in April 2011, your booking must be made and paid for by the end of Agust 2010.

I've made my booking.... have you?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2010, 10:24:01 AM »
Notice to Forumists about IRG: please see this post :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5972.new#new

Thanks!
 M

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2010, 07:37:09 PM »
the august issue interesting as always-- a very nice intro to joyce carruther's garden on vancouver island--looks like a great place to spend a few hours..or more!

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2010, 02:57:25 PM »

;D ;D ;D - Oh Yes!
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

angie

« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2010, 08:51:28 PM »

;D ;D ;D - Oh Yes!

Me to  ;D ;D ;D

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2010, 04:40:56 AM »
If every previous issue of The International Rock Gardener has been a gem which seems to outdo the one before, this latest of Sept 24th tops them all and it is hard to imagine what else could follow that would come up to the incredible standard now achieved and which we are beginning to take for granted. 

While the need for such an issue is the saddest of all, the content of superb photographs, authoritative, erudite information and best of all, the personal and often humorous stories told by these great plant and seed collectors makes for a treasure to be read and re-read over time to come.

I feel greatly privileged to have met Jim and Jenny Archibald - so briefly - and John Watson too - even more briefly in early 1996, but I'll always value those occasions and even more so as I grow their plants and hope to share some at least, with younger gardeners who perhaps won't know what we older growers must now see as a golden age when new plants were readily available and relatively easy to add to our gardens. This time is past now and so a great responsibility lies with those who still have the fruits of Jim's and others' collecting exploits.

I can only thank warmly, all those who put the IRG together each month, and especially those who contributed to this wonderful issue.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal