We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....  (Read 312897 times)

astragalus

Re: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....
« Reply #1170 on: April 26, 2016, 05:38:15 PM »
More bloom in the crevice garden
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

astragalus

« Reply #1171 on: April 26, 2016, 05:47:44 PM »
Rain is letting up so work beckons.  Two more from the crevice garden.
Sorry, don't know how to modify the picture caption, which should not be 'white form', just Astragalus simplicifolius
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:42:57 PM by astragalus »

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #1172 on: April 26, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
Magnificent!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #1173 on: April 27, 2016, 01:14:10 PM »
Those fortunate enough to attend the SRGC Discussion Weekend this year will surely have a real treat in Anne's talk - what a wonderful garden she has - with superb plants.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #1174 on: April 27, 2016, 04:21:14 PM »
Lincolnshire nurseryman Rob Potterton has shared these photos of the crevice gardens at Wisley  - they are looking well settled now, are they not?

530711-0

530713-1

530715-2
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #1175 on: April 27, 2016, 04:30:33 PM »
Looking very good, as is Anne's garden.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

astragalus

« Reply #1176 on: April 27, 2016, 06:01:38 PM »
Thanks, David.  But what an amazing difference a few years makes to a crevice garden.  In 2011, the Wisley crevice garden was newly planted and very sparse although there were many plants.  Crevice gardens really seem to eat up plants even huge ones like this.  Nice to see things taking hold.

astragalus

« Reply #1177 on: May 01, 2016, 10:29:36 PM »
The crevice garden is just bursting now.  Penstemons have started and I've been too busy to photograph.  The convolvulus had started and it's usually prime by mid-June.  The garden is open May 21 and there will be nothing left at this rate.
People visit the garden expecting to see everything that was in a talk bloom at once, which of course it never is - but at this rate it soon will be.

astragalus

« Reply #1178 on: May 02, 2016, 11:56:27 AM »
Another good daphne for the garden, Daphne x napolitana 'Meon' blooming now in the crevice garden.  This one has taken a few years to settle in and now seems to be growing well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #1179 on: May 02, 2016, 12:23:57 PM »
The crevice garden is just bursting now.  Penstemons have started and I've been too busy to photograph.  The convolvulus had started and it's usually prime by mid-June.  The garden is open May 21 and there will be nothing left at this rate.
People visit the garden expecting to see everything that was in a talk bloom at once, which of course it never is - but at this rate it soon will be.

I particularly liked the Astragalus detritalis Anne, such a rich colour, but can't help feeling it would finish up as little more than a pile of mush in my garden. Managed to buy a few more Daphnes from Keith Wiley at last Saturdays AGS Show in Exeter. Small plants but hopefully they will live and grow.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

astragalus

« Reply #1180 on: May 02, 2016, 11:23:36 PM »
I particularly liked the Astragalus detritalis Anne, such a rich colour, but can't help feeling it would finish up as little more than a pile of mush in my garden. Managed to buy a few more Daphnes from Keith Wiley at last Saturdays AGS Show in Exeter. Small plants but hopefully they will live and grow.

Lucky you.  The daphnes are probably totally different from the ones available here.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #1181 on: May 03, 2016, 05:20:30 PM »
Lucky you.  The daphnes are probably totally different from the ones available here.

Anne, the Daphnes I bought were:-

D. x susannae 'Tichbourne'
D. x hendersonii 'Ernst Hauser'
D. jasminea x velenovskyii
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

astragalus

« Reply #1182 on: May 04, 2016, 01:10:55 AM »
David, the first two are in the garden and are really good, but the D. jasminea x velenovskyi is completely new to me.  Since both are low growers it should be really interesting.  What do you know about it?  The D. jasminea 'Delphi form' is in the garden but has not yet shown that it will get through a really normal winter, i.e. very cold. 

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #1183 on: May 04, 2016, 09:00:58 PM »
Anne, I really know very little about Daphne jasminea x velenovskyi and so far I haven't found anything on the Internet. There is no mention of it either in Robin White's book. As I said I bought it from Keith Wiley last Saturday so it is possibly a cross that Keith raised himself. Although I relabeled it when I planted it in my garden I think there was some information on the label that came with the plant. It's in the dustbin at the moment but I will rescue it tomorrow.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #1184 on: May 05, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »
Anne, from Keith Wiley's label:-

"Prostrate habit. White flowers from pink buds. Midway between the parents in foliage and flowers"
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal