We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....  (Read 312895 times)

astragalus

Re: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....
« Reply #1110 on: February 05, 2016, 01:28:31 AM »
I think that must be it, Cliff, although when we hiked there the thing that lingered in your mind was the huge boulders on top and apparently some of those have fallen now.  It is a quite spectacular place and I still have a little basket filled with obsidian I scooped up (while keeping an eye out for rattkesnakes).
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #1111 on: February 05, 2016, 02:04:44 AM »
This one also wouldn't look natural for some, if I'll be to reproduce it in the garden (at smaller scale of course).
Flower Pot Island, in Bruce pen., Ontario.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #1112 on: February 05, 2016, 11:19:53 AM »
Exactly!   I must confess to being rather irked when people complain of  things not being "natural" - certainly, a thing can be well done, or messed up, but to say something doesn't exist in nature is usually to make a big mistake - the natural world is FULL of  amazing things, rock formations or otherwise, that are  quite extraordinary - and perfectly natural!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #1113 on: February 05, 2016, 11:22:20 AM »
Here in Australia we have a lot of exposed rock; it's an ancient land! No one should be surprised to see rocks at any angle or stacked in any interesting way. My Dad sent me this photo he took while searching for driftwood in his home of kangaroo island. The scene reminded him of my crevice garden. A bit bigger scale though! I told him the salt spray would severely limit plant choices when it came to planting it out!  ;D

Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #1114 on: February 05, 2016, 11:52:11 AM »
Nice rock!

astragalus

« Reply #1115 on: February 05, 2016, 12:28:58 PM »
This one also wouldn't look natural for some, if I'll be to reproduce it in the garden (at smaller scale of course).
Flower Pot Island, in Bruce pen., Ontario.
(Attachment Link)

Gabriela, we saw these wonderful "flower pots"  on our way to Prince Edward Island years ago.  Incidentally, P.E.I is another place to see wonderful rock (at North Rustico).  And I've seen pictures of the Pancake Rocks in New Zealand.  The rock formations in Utah are really incredible as well - look up "slick rock".  I'm sure Cliff could provide a picture of the "devil's staircase".  I agree with Maggi - "natural" covers a lot of territory.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #1116 on: February 05, 2016, 12:54:33 PM »
Gabriela, we saw these wonderful "flower pots"  on our way to Prince Edward Island years ago.  Incidentally, P.E.I is another place to see wonderful rock (at North Rustico).  And I've seen pictures of the Pancake Rocks in New Zealand.  The rock formations in Utah are really incredible as well - look up "slick rock".  I'm sure Cliff could provide a picture of the "devil's staircase".  I agree with Maggi - "natural" covers a lot of territory.

I could Anne, if that particular laptop full of images was more accessible at the moment … I'm sure Google would provide hundreds of photos of same.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Gabriela

« Reply #1117 on: February 05, 2016, 07:57:40 PM »

P.E.I. will be on the travel list then  :) With our dollar being as it is now, there is not much chance for traveling outside anyway. In Utah I've only been in the Wasatch Mts. - amazing rock scenes. Hard to choose only a few, so these are really just the first ones that came up; there are more pictures with rocks in the folder than with plants!
517417-0

517419-1
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #1118 on: February 05, 2016, 08:09:06 PM »
Here in Australia we have a lot of exposed rock; it's an ancient land! No one should be surprised to see rocks at any angle or stacked in any interesting way. My Dad sent me this photo he took while searching for driftwood in his home of kangaroo island. The scene reminded him of my crevice garden. A bit bigger scale though! I told him the salt spray would severely limit plant choices when it came to planting it out!  ;D

Very nice by the water rockery!
Along the Georgian Bay (Ontario) there are also places with amazing rocky shorelines. Sometimes there are also plants  ;)
517421-0
Occasionally, you can hike around on massive rock formations without 'touching land' for a couple of hours.
517423-1
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

astragalus

« Reply #1119 on: February 05, 2016, 09:42:58 PM »
P.E.I. will be on the travel list then  :) With our dollar being as it is now, there is not much chance for traveling outside anyway. In Utah I've only been in the Wasatch Mts. - amazing rock scenes. Hard to choose only a few, so these are really just the first ones that came up; there are more pictures with rocks in the folder than with plants!
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

"Slick Rock" formations are near Moab, I believe, which is in southern Utah.  It's quite incredible, and not far from natural rock bridges formed over the years.  Weather and erosion play fantastic tricks.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #1120 on: February 05, 2016, 10:54:39 PM »
Just up the road from here the Central Otago ranges of New Zealand have numerous schist formations called tors on their summits .....

Then on the East Coast of the South Island of NZ natural crevice gardens just about 'par excellence'.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

astragalus

« Reply #1121 on: February 06, 2016, 04:42:04 AM »
Fabulous crevice gardens.  Looks like someone was at work with a giant chisel and a ruler, they are so precise.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #1122 on: February 06, 2016, 07:06:25 PM »
Fabulous crevice gardens.  Looks like someone was at work with a giant chisel and a ruler, they are so precise.

I think their beauty is enhanced by the non existence or at the most minimal vegetation clothing the rock. I'd be happy to create exactly the same in our garden as a salute to the 'gods of rock' however if that was the case I'm sure my 'planting fingers ' would be very itchy ...... ;) ;D
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #1123 on: February 22, 2016, 05:28:43 PM »
Jan Tholhuijsen wrote  : " The new crevice garden of Vladimir Valenta, with our good friend Paní Stašková "
http://www.caroveniky.com/INDEX.htm

Yet another stunning example of a Czech rock garden - these people are the Masters!

astragalus

« Reply #1124 on: February 23, 2016, 03:56:39 AM »
That really is amazing.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal