We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....  (Read 312935 times)

astragalus

Re: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2010, 01:26:44 AM »
Jiri, thanks so much for posting the photos, they explain everything you are doing.  I can see many similarities and I see our differences too.  So far, my path has no stone and may not.  I always hope for seedlings and have found paths to be productive for this even when they are walked on all the time.
My crevice stones are set pretty much at 90 degrees.  The side walls are the terracing stone walls and they are quite thick and deep and incorporate pieces of ledge here and there so I don't think they can move anywhere. The crevice stones themselves are like mini ice bergs.  They are fairly large slabs and are set quite deep in the ground.  Hopefully they will not move at all. I can see we try and make our crevices the same thickness through much of their length and also vary the thickness of the various lengths.  I had a copy of Zdenek's little book with me when this was built and I kept referring to his illustrations and it was very helpful. Basically, every site is unique and requires unique solutions within certain parameters. It's what I love about seeing other gardens - learning how other people will approach the same thing. I'm not good about remembering to take pictures while working but have dug up some which may explain the split-level nature of the crevices on either side of the work path. You may notice some odd tools (like broken ski poles) but they come in very handy!I hope you will photograph some more this spring when everything blooms.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2010, 02:15:37 AM »
Anne, I see rebar being used in your second photo.  Is that just for temporary reinforcement until everything is backfilled?
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

arilnut

« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2010, 03:42:54 AM »
My dear Doctor McMark, deductive reasoning! Notice trench excavated in front of rebar for next stone
that will support the unstable one once backfilled.

John B

Anne, I see rebar being used in your second photo.  Is that just for temporary reinforcement until everything is backfilled?
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

astragalus

« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2010, 04:23:30 AM »
Anne, I see rebar being used in your second photo.  Is that just for temporary reinforcement until everything is backfilled?

Yes.  Since a good part of the rock is buried it requires a deep trench - the rebar is perfect for this - also broken ski poles etc.  I like to do three or four rocks in a row to get a feel for how it looks so it needs securing in the meantime.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:44:08 PM by Maggi Young »

Stone Rider

« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2010, 04:39:06 PM »
A Dozen  Pages Celebration

A thread leading us through all the romantic corners filled with stones and plants, cemented together with the experiences of  authors, is actually the spine in the body of every good club of rock gardeners. This thread uncovered and showed more examples of artificial rock outcrops than is available in any official handbooks and will be a modern guide for every new grower interested in this most intensive kind of rock gardening.
   I now feel like an old male bull elephant going alone  into the mountains to allow the new family of the youngsters and clever mothers to run the art of life themselves. The big change in this fat thread is the strong and well illustrated contribution of Jiří Papoušek (my best Czech disciple) and Ann Spiegel the modern American plants-woman. They are both perfect top growers and independent lateral thinkers with the strength to go their own way (the best way for their very different microclimates).
  The construction of Jiri in his difficult flat garden is one which seeks for cooler north east and north west aspects for the accommodation of the true alpines. The framing of a natural outcrop with troughs is „modern art in rock gardening“ which could have followers or „old fashion aesthetic“ opponents. The important factor is his development of a functioning rock garden which pleases him and other knowledgeable grewers with his artistic achievement.
 The construction of Ann is a luxurious crevice bed  more suited to her impressive natural outcrop than the previous precisely made cascades of vertically stratified dry walls. The depth of the vertical crevices is superb; the mineral substrate used looks lovely and the flat angle of beds is functional against the intensive heat of sun in the local summer afternoons. The combination of the parallel pattern  with the angle of the solid paths for access fits into the category of modern arts, which is open to the never ending discussion of bearded theoretics. Her entry into our theatre is a pleasant surprise showing the international community in this Forum that innovative American growers are not yet extinct.
  I am anticipating seeing saxatile plants smiling happily at us from the crevices and fissures of both new constructions in the future. God bless this never ending thread and it´s followers.
ZZ

astragalus

« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2010, 06:52:58 PM »
It's officially spring.  The first plants are starting to bloom in the new crevice garden.  This is the first: Douglasia montana

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2010, 10:52:51 PM »
That says it all really, about how good crevices are for so many plamts. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2010, 11:09:16 PM »
It's officially spring.  The first plants are starting to bloom in the new crevice garden.  This is the first: Douglasia montana

Ann, that Douglasia is a beauty, seems to like its crevice home.  Great meeting up with you at the NARGS ESW  :D
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

astragalus

« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2010, 03:38:51 AM »
Thanks for the help with the trough, Mark.  Currently in bloom in the crevice garden this crazy weather year: Phlox condensata, Phlox pungens, Oxytropis multiceps, Physaria eburnifolia etc.  I'll have to get busy with the camera.  These are all small plants (they have to be to plant them in these very tight spots) but they all seem to be doing well.  The only disaster was the new pen I used for labels with "indelible, lasts for years" ink.  All labels are blank and I'm depending on memory and visiting experts to i.d. some of the daphnes I planted last fall.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2010, 09:27:27 AM »

What a wonderful way to welcome Spring, Ann, your Douglasia montana looks radiant  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

astragalus

« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2010, 08:17:25 PM »
So far so good, Lesley.  Our winter was truly awful so maybe this has been a good first test - not enough snow, unseasonable hheat and rain in January, deer everywhere and a lot of cold.  Here are some more early pictures (you can figure things have been forced and are ahead of schedule.
1.crevices April 19
2. Phlox condensata
3. Phlox pungens (great plant - will rebloom on and off until hard frost)
4. Veronica thymoides pseudocinerea
5. Oxytroppis multiceps
6. Phlox 'Betty' - a Dick Redfield microphlox named after his sister
Here's hoping I can remember how to do multiple pictures!

astragalus

« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2010, 08:19:26 PM »
Good grief! That only worked for the last picture.  Back to the beginning

astragalus

« Reply #162 on: April 19, 2010, 08:20:37 PM »
crevices April 19

astragalus

« Reply #163 on: April 19, 2010, 08:22:32 PM »
Phlox pungens

astragalus

« Reply #164 on: April 19, 2010, 08:24:12 PM »
Oxytropis multiceps
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 10:03:41 PM by astragalus »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal