We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Spring Gentian - To become educated in a new field. (No pun intended)  (Read 5725 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Spring Gentian - To become educated in a new field. (No pun intended)
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 11:35:54 PM »
Mmm. That's given me some ideas for future birthday presents...... :)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 02:20:43 PM »
Andrew,  a piece with Dryas octopetala and one with  Gentiana acaulis would go down well with SRGC and AGS members, and both have the advantage of being fairly simple shapes to translate into three -d metalwork. For the american market , the NARGS logo is a Dodecatheon...you could have hit a rich vein here, Lad!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TheCroftWorkshops

• The Croft Workshops - Jewellery Design
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 03:44:12 PM »
I’m, not sure. They are going on sale in the Durham city tourist information office in a few months time. I imagine that they will be able to post them out and take payments over the phone? I don't want to say too much really because I know I’m not supposed to advertise on this forum. I'll find out the details closer to the time, every thing will be on my web site when I get a moment. If things go well they might start appearing in other local tourist outlets. Still at early stages yet though.

I know it's probably a futile effort but a bought a spring gentian and I’m attempting to keep it alive on my window sill in the workshop. Not it's natural habitat I know. The one in my step dads’ garden is flowering now but my photography skills are not really up to the task. I'll have a go though and see if I can post a picture.

Andrew

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 05:00:41 PM »
Maggie, I don't know if you know but there was a pendant made for one of the SRGC anniversaries a long time ago. It was a Dryas in silver and gold, mum often wears it at the disscusion weekends. It was one of our relations that made it, nothing to do with us, I hadn't started growing plants then.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 02:18:40 AM »
Andrew, advertising is only advertising when we don't want it. If we DO want it, it's the legitimate giving out of sought-after information.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 09:52:32 AM »
I will second that.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

TheCroftWorkshops

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 01:16:20 PM »
Well in that case, if anyone is interested, i can make any kind of flower you want ether in an abstracted form like the gentians in silver and enamel or more realistic physical shapes in gold, white gold, silver, platinum or any combination of the above. Even stone set how about a nice big yellow diamond in the centre of your platinum Dryas Octopetala? Ok, sorry, I'm getting carried away now but you get the picture.

It's hard to give a price range obviously because it depends on size, materials, complexity and other factors but if you have an idea let me know and I’ll work something out. The Spring Gentian pendant in the picture will probably retail around £65-£75 and I’m doing a smaller one with a single flower which will be about £55. Plain silver ones will be even cheaper at around £40. Like I said earlier those are going to Durham Tourist information so they get final say on the R.R.P.

Here is a picture of a poppy model I made for my girlfriends mum. The rear flower is detachable and can be worn as a pendant. It is made from silver and gold and would be around £365 if you’re not my girlfriend mum. Pendant alone about £85 :)

Andrew
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 04:41:08 PM by TheCroftWorkshops »

TheCroftWorkshops

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 09:51:32 AM »
Hi all!

I thought you might like to know that after a very long wait the city council has finally given the go ahead for the gentian jewellery. I've just begun production so the pieces will be turning up in the tourist information in the next week or so. :) I'll post a picture when I get a chance.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 09:53:57 AM by TheCroftWorkshops »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 10:30:08 AM »
Congratulations, Andrew. I hope  the range is a big success and we look forward to seeing the pix.Also, we'll need the address of the Tourist office for orders!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal